Eagles DC, Jim Johnson, has a recurrence of skin cancer

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson has had a recurrence of skin cancer, this time in his spine, team officials say.Eagles trainer Rick Burkholder told The Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News on Thursday that Johnson was diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer on Monday at Pennsylvania Hospital. Burkholder said Johnson has begun radiation treatments at Bryn Mawr Hospital.
Burkholder said Johnson has a bone tumor in his back, in the same area where skin cancer was diagnosed in 2001.
He said Johnson, defensive coordinator under coach Andy Reid for 10 years, has cancer in some other areas of his body, but did not elaborate.
No surgery is scheduled for Johnson and he intends to continue coaching, Burkholder said.

Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson diagnosed with skin cancer - ESPN

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I know, I thought the same. The no surgery comment was being taken as a positive on ESPN.....I think that could be a very big negative.......could very well mean it's inoperable; which is not good news....

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Generally speaking, they try to avoid at all costs doing surgery on the spine. But I agree, this is not a very positive looking outlook. Especially the small quote of he has cancer in other parts of his body as well.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Jim Johnson had a similar case many years ago and fought through it. He remains optimistic but I can't help but worry about him. If its true that the cancer has spread I really feel for him and his family. Not being a doctor I don't know exactly what to make of the diagnosis - especially since it may be a recurrence of his past illness.

eaglechick

I'm back :)
my medical point of view is this:

1. if it's metatastic melanoma, he most likely has a very short time to live. ok i'm a few years out of practice but i haven't heard of any miracle cures for melanoma--you either cut it all out at the beginning or game over. especially because they say he has tumor in other parts of his body. bad news.

2. it could be another primary tumor. one thing that makes me think this is that it's been a few years since his melanoma. i am by no means an expert but i think melanoma is more aggressive and would've shown up already.

3. the radiation therapy is just to shrink the tumor in his spine for pain reasons.