Draft trade rumour, Philly/Seattle

Arctic Dawgs

Somebody posted this on Sportsline Mock Drafts. Did anyone see this on NFL Network ??

NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football

February 6, 2009 4:00 pm
Eagles trade up & get CRABTREE !!!
I was just watching a interview on NFL network at the pro-bowl. They were talking to Brian Westbrook and he said the Eagles have a plan to trade up to #4 and get Michael Crabtee.
What do you think ?

I can't see the Hawks trading back that far to #21, but it would seem that public interest in the pick would escalate the price of that pick in Seattles favour. I've seen some speculation re the Raiders and Bush. That is what I'm hoping for

eaglechick

I'm back :)
as the commenters are saying, i can't see the eagles paying what it would take for an unproven WR. all the early WRs (excluding d.jackson) they've taken in the past have been busts. personally, i'd much prefer they go through free agency

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Somebody posted this on Sportsline Mock Drafts. Did anyone see this on NFL Network ??

NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football

I can't see the Hawks trading back that far to #21, but it would seem that public interest in the pick would escalate the price of that pick in Seattles favour. I've seen some speculation re the Raiders and Bush. That is what I'm hoping for
The ONLY way I could see this deal happening is if Philly gives up both firsts, and then gets Seattles high 2nd rounder. That would be pretty even in the long run.

I also don't agree totally with Eaglechick on Philly not doing this. Look at what they got out of D. Jackson this year. Brown's contract is about up...and Avant and Baskett have shown flashes..but not solid starters. If they could get Crabtree...and not spend big money on a FA wr, it would allow them to look at some OL at FA instead.

Philly only realy has to DIRE needs. One is the O-line that will be weak at OT this year. Other is another WR to support Jackson.

Arctic Dawgs

The ONLY way I could see this deal happening is if Philly gives up both firsts, and then gets Seattles high 2nd rounder. That would be pretty even in the long run.

Hate to tell you but that isn't close to even. :shake:

Using the "Trade Value Chart" (for what it is worth), Seattles #4 is worth 1800. It would take both of Phillys 1st rd picks, 1460 + their 2nd, 370 or 3rd, 165 (1830/1625)

#21 is too far back for Seattle to trade anyway. Without trading they need to go 1: OT, 2: C (Unger or Mack), 3: RB (D.Brown, R.Jennings). Seattle really needs 1 of those top 3/4 OT's and won't get it at #21. Almost all the mocks I have seen have between 5 and 8 OL going in the 1st rd. Would have to get lucky to get either of those RB's in rd 3 as well.

The trades I would love to see from Seattle are:
  1. Seattle #4 to Oakland, Raiders #7 and M.Bush to Seattle. This puts a trade value of mid to late 2nd rd on Bush. Seattle would still get 1 of the top OT with its 1st pick and would fill all 3 needs in 2 rounds allowing the 3rd rd pick to be used elsewhere. (D, WR, etc...)
  2. If there is still 2/3 of those OT's left when Seattle is sitting at #7 SanFran (#10) might want to jump ahead of GrBay for a Defensive player. The Hawks would still get a covetted OT and would pickup an extra 3rd rd pick. (Jax will prolly take 1 of the OT's at #8)
I can't see Seattle getting that top OT they need if they trade any farther back than that.

Please Santa, Thats my wish list.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
It wouldn't be absurd to me if this happened... although I think it's unlikely. I see the Eagles making a strong play for a WR this year in either draft, free agency or both.

This rumor makes me wish that they'd sign TJ Houshmandzadeh and mortgage some future talent to get Crabtree, too. It would leave McNabb with TJ, Jackson, Curtis and Crabtree to throw to. OK there's no way all that happens, but a guy can dream.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
This is garbage. Philly is built to make a run next year. They will go only so far as McNabb can carry them and while I agree Crabtree is a talent he more than likely won't be what the Iggles need to make noise in the post season and lets be honest here, they need to win a title. Jackson and Royal are the exceptions and not the rule with rookie wide outs.

The Eagles would be much wiser to bring in Housh and let another team that is rebuilding take Crabtree.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This is garbage. Philly is built to make a run next year. They will go only so far as McNabb can carry them and while I agree Crabtree is a talent he more than likely won't be what the Iggles need to make noise in the post season and lets be honest here, they need to win a title. Jackson and Royal are the exceptions and not the rule with rookie wide outs.

The Eagles would be much wiser to bring in Housh and let another team that is rebuilding take Crabtree.
With that you have a team with the RT a FA and having surgery, and a LT that I believe is also a FA...and no real depth behind either. My gut says if the Eagles were to trade up, they would do it for one of the top OTs...not a Wr.

Also I agree that as long as Reid is there, McNabb is starting. I am curious though if McNabb holds out from pre-season camps as has been talked about.

dukdown

Banned
As one of the most fiscally responsible teams in the NFL, it would be completely outside of the Eagles' paradigm to make a move like this. In other words, not a snowball's chance in hell this is going to happen.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
:nod:
As one of the most fiscally responsible teams in the NFL, it would be completely outside of the Eagles' paradigm to make a move like this. In other words, not a snowball's chance in hell this is going to happen.

Arctic Dawgs

I also think from the Seahawks point of view that this would be crazy. I just like the hype it could generate for any other team that would covet Crabtree

Birdman

Ready For Some Football

But what if they miss out on all the WR free agents or trade options? If they don't land Housh or Boldin etc. is it crazy to think they might mortgage future draft picks to take a WR like Crabtree?

I agree that it's highly unlikely. But I think the Eagles front office now understands how important depth at the WR position is, having just lost to the Arizona Fantasy Football Cardinals and seeing a disgruntled McNabb with no 2-minute drill receivers.