Baltimore Raven's Draft Analysis

RLLD

Round 1, Pick 23 (23) (From Patriots) Michael Oher OT 6'5" 309 Mississippi
Analysis : Ozzie Newsome is one the of few people on the planet that I would be remiss to question, and his zeal to acquire Oher (of whom he rated at the #4 offensive prospect) makes me believe. The guy probably does not start right away, but will be a regular by seasons end, and perhaps a pro bowler at some point. Guy overcame some harsh conditions growing up, is clearly a fighter who can withstand some difficulty.

Round 2, Pick 25 (57) Paul Kruger DE 6'4" 263 Utah
Analysis : The Raven's seem to have a theme here as they take another guy who overcame some insane circumstances in life. He seems to never get tired, and does his best work at the end of the game after tiring the opposition, he is relentless and will augment their pass rush nicely. This was a nice pick.

Round 3, Pick 24 (88) Lardarius Webb CB 5'10" 179 Nicholls State
Analysis : They loaded up on CB during FA, but went after a CB anyway, as might be expected. Will step in to spell starters if they are tired or hurt, likely a regular in the nickle package and expect to hear his name a ton on special teams, he is a feisty ballhawk with the mentality that the Raven's seem to love.

Round 5, Pick 1 (137) (From Lions through Seahawks though Eagles through Patriots) Jason Phillips ILB 6'1" 239 TCU
Analysis : Purely an investment pick IMHO, he has upside and presents some interesting potential in the coming years. We may or may not be hearing his name more and more in 2010 and 2011.

Round 5, Pick 13 (149) (From Broncos) Davon Drew TE 6'4" 256 East Carolina
Analysis : The Ravens needed a blocking TE with some receiving skills, they have been complaining about this for months, so they draft a pass catcher with some blocking ablity? Dumb.

Round 6, Pick 12 (185) (From Broncos) Cedric Peerman RB 5'10" 216 Virginia
Analysis : Hey look, a carbon copy of Ray Rice. Smart kid, decent vision and agility, moderate speed. Maybe he returns kicks or something....

Tomorrow, the Buffalo Bills

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I like them picking up Oher and think he will be starting by mid-season. I also like the Kruger pick. Definite upgrade to their defense, which was already very good. The TE was a question mark for me too. Why draft a pass catching TE when you need a blocking TE? Maybe they are trying to replace oft injured Todd Heap.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i dont see much of the rest of the draft, but the oher pick alone makes this draft at least a B for the ravens. he will pay huge dividends for them, both metaphorically and literally.

Ozzie is good - thought it might be a good idea to incorporate grades into these threads. Giving them a solid B. Not sure if I went a little high on the later picks grades but will leave them as a sign of faith in Newsome's ability to gauge talent.

Michael Oher OT
I was a little surprised he was available after Detroit with QB with their 1st pick. He was a solid selection by Baltimore who should break into the lineup relatively quickly and become a long-term fixture. A

Paul Kruger DE
Love the motor on this kid and could be an immediate starter on some NFL teams but I am not sure about in Baltimore. Will the Ravens move him to fill the vacancy of Bart Scott? B+

Lardarius Webb CB
Webb will initially have to earn his keep on special teams and some defensive schemes/situations but could break in as a starter down the road. Great speed and has the skills to make a successful transition to the NFL. B

Jason Phillips ILB
This horned frog will not see the field much with the strength of Baltimores LBs but will have the benefit of having time to develop so he ready when called upon. C+

Davon Drew TE
Can’t help but wonder if Drew’s inexperience… would have made him available at a later pick or FA (trade down… if this is truly a player they wanted in camp). Has shown potential but there were other TE’s I liked on the board and this could have been an opportunity to pick up a possible eventual replacement for Derrick Mason. C

Cedric Peerman RB
Might not have been a need but definitely good value and the team can’t be blamed for not passing up on him. Pretty deep backfield now, could someone end up going on the block this preseason if they all look good to bring in a WR? B

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Round 5, Pick 13 (149) (From Broncos) Davon Drew TE 6'4" 256 East Carolina
Analysis : The Ravens needed a blocking TE with some receiving skills, they have been complaining about this for months, so they draft a pass catcher with some blocking ablity? Dumb.

This pick makes me wonder how Sypniewski's knee is really doing.

RLLD

Maybe they still consider themselves in the race for Anquan Boldin?

Perhaps. I think that ship has sailed. I do not expect Ozzie to invest $$ into Boldin at this point, the cap is the big issue here, and not just for the Raven's either.

I am starting to think that Boldin's best option to to go have a stellar season for the Card's next year, just play out the contract.:headscratch:

Runnik's Hambones

Perhaps. I think that ship has sailed. I do not expect Ozzie to invest $$ into Boldin at this point, the cap is the big issue here, and not just for the Raven's either.

I am starting to think that Boldin's best option to to go have a stellar season for the Card's next year, just play out the contract.:headscratch:

I think Arizona is the best place for Boldin, but I think he deserves what he's asking for.

bobbeaux

I love Cedric Peerman, even though they have 3 RBs all ready.

mcclain was listed as fb, not sure if it's still that way . . . but it'll be interesting how the depth chart plays out . . . if nothing else, there's the practice squad as they have had there share of injuries in this unit . . . ;)

bobbeaux

I like them picking up Oher and think he will be starting by mid-season. I also like the Kruger pick. Definite upgrade to their defense, which was already very good. The TE was a question mark for me too. Why draft a pass catching TE when you need a blocking TE? Maybe they are trying to replace oft injured Todd Heap.

i believe they added some excellent depth on defense that will help keep the defense strong . . . ;)

i could see them upgrading at te . . . don't know much about the guy they picked though . . . hopefully heap and smith can alternate weeks and keep someone in the position throughout the season . . . flacco could really use someone strong at this position . . . as mentioned more receiving threats period would be nice for flacco . . . ;)

i believe they added some excellent depth on defense that will help keep the defense strong . . . ;)

i could see them upgrading at te . . . don't know much about the guy they picked though . . . hopefully heap and smith can alternate weeks and keep someone in the position throughout the season . . . flacco could really use someone strong at this position . . . as mentioned more receiving threats period would be nice for flacco . . . ;)
That's heaving alot of hope on Heap