Auction Draft Strategy

tblGoBlue

I do a live draft every year with a bunch of people I used to work with. We had been doing keepers in the past, but this year we're switching everything, getting rid of the keepers and moving to an auction format. It's going to be pretty insane doing a live auction draft. I've never been in an auction league before and am somewhat nervous about it. I've been doing Mock drafts on ESPN but they are, well, mock drafts... half the people leave 10 minutes in.

Anyone have any strategies / advice to share about auction drafts?

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
My big thing with auctions is when it comes to my turn, regardless of round, I'm throwing out a name that I absolutely do not want, at a semi-low bid. I like bleeding everyone else out as early as possible so I can try to stumble onto late round bargains when I've got lots of funds left over.
Also, rack & stack the guys you really really like at each position, and put a price cap on them. In other words, how much you're willing to go on that player, and no further. I'll use a few industry magazines/websites to get an idea of their value, then maybe add 5%
Lastly, try and keep some sort of tracking sheet on each team so you can see what positions they need and how much money they have left. This will enable you to get ridiculous bargains in the late rounds. I got Matt Ryan as my QB2 last year really late for 2 dollars (standard budget league) because nobody else had any funds left to spend on a QB because they still needed other positions.

tblGoBlue

Well, we had the auction yesterday. Here's the team I ended up with... I'm pretty happy with it!

Romo
Nicks
Greg Jennings
S. Jackson
F. Jones
S. Greene
J. Addai
K. Winslow
Plax
McNabb
Burleson
D. Brown
J. Rodgers

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
That's damn solid, especially if you've never done one before. Nice balance and depth all around!