Atlanta Falcons Draft Analysis

RLLD

The Atlanta Falcons

Round 1, Pick 24 (24) Peria Jerry DT 6'2" 299 Mississippi
Analysis : Should have a relatively smooth transition into the NFL game as the schemes at Miss were based on movement and gap penetration, and Mike Smith loves the gap punching style of DL play. Hard worker, good motor, should be an anchor in the middle of that DL for a number of years, good pick.

Round 2, Pick 23 (55) William Moore S 6'0" 221 Missouri
Analysis : Prior to this season he may have been the #1 DB pick, but had some lapses this past year mostly due to injury, if he fully recovers he might need a full season to find his place, and then could emerge as a very good player.

Round 3, Pick 26 (90) Christopher Owens CB 5'10" 181 San Jose State
Analysis : Gives them depth at CB, hard to say if the physical style that defined him as a college player will translate well to the NFL where the receivers are bigger, stronger and faster than anything he has yet seen. If it doesn't, he might be relegated to the nickle, or the gunner on special teams.

Round 4, Pick 25 (125) Lawrence Sidbury Jr. DE 6'2" 266 Richmond
Analysis : Decent size and athleticism, gives them some depth on the DL with upside, and the potential to one day perhaps emerge as a starter

Round 5, Pick 2 (138) (From Rams) William Middleton CB 5'10" 193 Furman
Analysis : Yet another investment in CB, and another selection from a smaller school. Good athlete, should have some time to develop his game, unlikely to see the field with any substantial time this year. Gives some depth at CB, and perhaps some options.

Round 5, Pick 20 (156) (From Cowboys) Garrett Reynolds OT 6'8" 309 North Carolina
Analysis : Great grab in the 5th here, a solid run blocking tackle already suited to NFL play, could become an instant starter at RT providing he shows some growth with his pass blocking come August.

Round 6, Pick 3 (176) (From Rams) Spencer Adkins LB 5'11" 230 Miami
Analysis : Unlikely to start at LB for them, while he has excellent speed he is just too small to handle offensive lineman in the NFL. He might step in as a situational pass rusher, and would make a serious weapon as a gunner on kicks.

Round 7, Pick 1 (210) (From Lions through Cowboys) Vance Walker DT 6'2" 304 Georgia Tech
Analysis : A pretty good defensive lineman, though unspectacular, he could have been taken in the fifth round if not for nagging injuries impeding his numbers at the combine. For now, depth on the DL, long term? Hard to say, it all depends on his work ethic and ability to step his game up a notch or two to stay with the speed and power of NFL lineman.

Tomorrow....the Baltimore Ravens

The Atlanta Falcons

Peria Jerry DT The guy I was hoping Detroit to snag in my all D dream draft. Nice addition to any D and I will try not to hold a grudge

William Moore S Not my top S but I don't think many will dispute that he could be a great addition to their D

Christopher Owens CB The heavy focus on DB's caused me to raise my eyebrow a little and not sure the top value was obtained for the team although I have nothing against the players

Lawrence Sidbury Jr. DE Nice value for this pick - low enough where an immediate impact is not expected but could eventually shine for them

William Middleton CB Hard not to root for small school projects but almost get the impression of Atlanta throwing enough DB's out there in hopes of one separating themselves without a specific focus on the fit at this stage.

Garrett Reynolds OT No longer a run only team that growth in his pass blocking is pretty critical for him to get playing time but he would have to really show something for him to sniff the starting line up this year.

Spencer Adkins LB
Vance Walker DT
2 flyers that I do not see having much impact. Not knowing what the coaches were focusing I imagine they will be doing better than I anticipate if they make the final roster

Nice start to their draft (especially if you do include Gonzo) but to my untrained eye 3 of the final 4 left me wanting more.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I thought the top of the draft was friggin outstanding.

Lets not forget the UDFA signings as well: (This list maybe slightly inaccurate as Ivy may be a Panther)

Falcons
LB Brock Christopher (Missouri)
WR Aaron Kelly (Clemson)
OL Ryan Stanchek (West Virginia)
QB John Parker Wilson (Alabama)
WR Darren Mougey (SDSU)
DE Maurice Lucas (Colorado)
LB Derek Nicholson (FSU)
LB Brit Miller (Illinois)
OT Patrick Brown (Central Florida)
LB Mortty Ivy (West Virginia)
P Robbie Dehaze (NAU)

OT Jose Valdez (Arkansas)

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
If it pans out, and who knows, the Falcons could open the season with:

WR: Roddy White
WR: Harry Douglas
WR: Aaron Kelly
TE: Tony Gonzales
QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Michael Turner

Thats not a bad skill group at all. Im not sure of the status of Michael Jenkins.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I agree. We all know what Ryan, Turner, and Gonzalez will do. Roddy is the established #1. From there, if it works out Kelly could be the 3rd guy to match up on LBs. His speed isnt great (4.5) but good enough if he is willing to go over the middle. My memories of Douglas was a guy who caught everything.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I just read something about that as we speak. My issue with that is it seems every year Michael Jenkins is supposed to have his breakout, and every year it just isn't there.

Laurent Robinson already got the Dimitroff boot in the arse out of town. How much more rope does Jenkins have?

bobbeaux

Spoke about the Falcon's draft last night during the radio show. To put it lightly, their defensive aquisitions scare the hell out of me.

i already like atlanta's offense and now the defense and special teams should get a nice boost with the offseason/draft acquisitions.

we all shouldn't forget about jerious norwood either . . . i believe he could be the starter for a few teams, but he's backing up turner and returning kicks . . . ;)