Arizona Cardinals Draft Analysis

RLLD

JMHO - Looking for thoughts and discussion, not flaming:nannie:

Round 1, Pick 31 (31) Chris Wells RB 6'1" 235 Ohio State
Analysis : Power running back will give the Cardinals a between the tackles pounder and goal line monster. Hightower can specialize in scatback, the passing game opens up, slightly at first, but more and more as Wells establishes his presence. In dynasty leagues his running style becomes a concern relative to longevity.

Round 2, Pick 31 (63) Cody Brown DE 6'2" 244 Connecticut
Analysis : Edge rusher with upside, but is going to have to work very hard to adjust to the NFL after spending his school days in the Big East. His lack of size might become an issue that his speed off the corner cannot compensate for, and he could move to OLB in the long run.

Round 3, Pick 31 (95) Rashad Johnson S 5'11" 203 Alabama
Analysis : Decent size, will have to rely on his instincts and smarts to get him into good positioning as he may have trouble with the route skills in the NFL, will likely start out in the nickle def until he proves he has true NFL CB skills.

Round 4, Pick 31 (131) Greg Toler CB 5'11" 191 St Pauls
Analysis : A workout warrior, this guy may be one of those who simply flew under the radar due to scouting and coaching prejudice, or he might just be someone with great physical tools that do not translate to the NFl-style of play. His main role may just be on special teams, and a fill-in on defense when things get really bad....

Round 5, Pick 31 (167) Herman Johnson OT 6'7" 364 LSU
Analysis: Gives them depth right away, a project who could emerge as an every down lineman. The guy is massive, decent hands but poor footwork. His best hope might be either RT or RG in the long run.

Round 6, Pick 31 (204) Will Davis DE 6'2" 261 Illinois
Analysis : Built more as an OLB than a DE, athletic but not spectacular. If he bulks up to handle NFL lineman better he loses his quickness, if he cannot add 20 lbs without maintaining a decent burst and rush, he wont be on the DE spot very long. Special teams warrior, and defensive backfiller....

Round 7, Pick 31 (240) LaRod Stephens-Howling RB 5'7" 180 Pittsburgh
Analysis : Future kick/punt returner, perhaps a slot back regular one day.

Round 7, Pick 45 (254) (Compensatory selection) Trevor Canfield OG 6'5" 307 Cincinnati
Analysis : Love this guy, he is a big nasty piece of work. He moves pretty well, and with some time and coaching could emerge as an everyday starter, likely at LT. He is always moving and every play is a like a street fight with him, Arizona snagged a nice prize with this one...

Looking for thoughts and discussion, not flaming:nannie:

If you can't take the heat...

Round 1, Pick 31 (31) Chris Wells RB 6'1" 235 Ohio State
Analysis : Nice value for them here but I will feel more comfortable once Edge is allowed to move on. If the 2 remain on the team the (e)dge still goes to the (E)dge shortterm.

Round 2, Pick 31 (63) Cody Brown DE 6'2" 244 Connecticut
Analysis : On the line or as a LB he could potentially fill a need and if they change the looks it may benefit him and mask your concerns.

Round 3, Pick 31 (95) Rashad Johnson S 5'11" 203 Alabama
Analysis : Very nice investment but you are correct he will have to first prove he can develop beyond the skill set he relied upon in college.

Round 4, Pick 31 (131) Greg Toler CB 5'11" 191 St Pauls
Analysis : If he grows into the position a great pick up but if he remains only a special teamer then they paid to much.

Round 5, Pick 31 (167) Herman Johnson OT 6'7" 364 LSU
Analysis: Agreed he was definitely a nice value pick at this stage of the draft. May not be a LOT in the NFL but could see him eventually handling any of the other OL positions well.

Round 6, Pick 31 (204) Will Davis DE 6'2" 261 Illinois
Analysis : Agreed he will start as apecial teams warrior with 1 year to demonstrate potential of developing into situational use on the line.

Round 7, Pick 31 (240) LaRod Stephens-Howling RB 5'7" 180 Pittsburgh
Analysis : Will have to take your analysis because I admit I had not focused much on him.

Round 7, Pick 45 (254) (Compensatory selection) Trevor Canfield OG 6'5" 307 Cincinnati
Analysis : Sounds good but I remain skeptical of the starting LOT prediction.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Off the top of my head, I had AZ with one of the top 10 hauls. Or at the very least a B+ grade. They were one of the best teams at getting VALUE with their picks.
Wells was slotted anywhere from 14 to 31, depending on which guru you prefer. Brown went right about where he was graded and is just a small step down from the first round "hybrid' guys. Johnson was a a steal in my opinion. I liked him as the #2 pure Safety behind Delmas with a mid-2nd type grade and think he represents a fantastic running mate for Adrian Wilson. Toler was a bit of an unknown until about 2 weeks ago and was gaining steam as the weekend approached. Maybe the desert heat will melt some pounds off Johnson. If so he has the chance to dominate and open the middle for Beanie. Nice value there. I followed Howling's career at Pitt and can tell you he could be a poor man's MJD. Possibly a perfect complimentary guy to Wells' style. I had Canfield rated as a 4/5th round guy and was surprised he lasted that long. Excellent value there. as well. I really liked their total body of work alot.

dukdown

Banned
Looks like Arizona's off-season could get even better with local Arizona State product Levi Jones showing a desire to return home to play for the Cardinals.