5 must have players for 2022

efactor

Coming at you
This is more designed for redraft, but works for keeper and dynasty too if you can acquire them:

-Justin Jefferson: More open offense with 2 big production seasons on his resume. Wouldn’t be shocked to see a Cooper Kupp 2021 type season. Have to have a top 6 pick in redraft to grab him probably. Would have no issue taking him top 3 behind Taylor and Kupp

-Zeke: This is more of a value play. I think his demise is being greatly exaggerated. Was having an excellent 2021 before he got hurt. Played through it and still finished with 1000 yards rushing, 47 catches and scored 12 TDs. Says he is completely healthy. Probably last year with Cowboys unless he takes a big pay cut, so they will have no concern with overusing him even with Pollard playing well. Going in late 3rd to mid 4th in early FBG drafts. At that price, yes please

-Darren Waller: Another value play. While Adams will get his, the middle of the field will open up for Waller. Top 3 TE who you can get in the mid 4th. Double digits TDs coming.

-Justin Herbert: 3rd year and it’s his team now. Excellent receivers in Allen, Williams, Palmer and Eckler. Added Everett at TE for another threat. Should be in a lot of shoot outs in the AFC west. 50 TDs coming up. Going in the 7th round currently. Grab him 2-3 rounds later than Josh Allen.

-Darrell Henderson: A guy I will be grabbing in the 10th-11th round in every redraft. Akers looked soooooooo bad when he came back and not sure the extra time will make much difference with an Achilles injury. If he has lost his explosiveness, Henderson will be the starter or at worst, a 50/50 in a good offense.

You’re welcome.

hikeNbike

In my drafts I have yet to see Herbert make it past the 5th. Though my drafts qbs seem to go a bit earlier. Definitely would grab him in the 7 if he is there. Not sure on the 5th. If he gets 50 tds fifth still seems ok.

I'm on the Waller train as well. Actually got Waller in the 5th. And Henderson as well I'm on as a good late round possibility.

Undecided on Zeke. Pollard looks better of the two backs on the eye test, but Elliot should still get carries because Pollard doesn't seem to be built for all the carrirs. My problem with rbs is once they start going downhill they don't usually resurge. Though I don't know how much of it was him playing through injury I wouldn't take him in the third even if I went wr wr, or wr te, fourth I'd consider it.

hikeNbike

What does everyone think of Travis Etienne or JK Dobbins? Could you possibly do something crazy like go wr wr te, and grab Etienne and Dobbins? Then how late do you think Lance will go?

efactor

Coming at you
In my drafts I have yet to see Herbert make it past the 5th. Though my drafts qbs seem to go a bit earlier. Definitely would grab him in the 7 if he is there. Not sure on the 5th. If he gets 50 tds fifth still seems ok.

I'm on the Waller train as well. Actually got Waller in the 5th. And Henderson as well I'm on as a good late round possibility.

Undecided on Zeke. Pollard looks better of the two backs on the eye test, but Elliot should still get carries because Pollard doesn't seem to be built for all the carrirs. My problem with rbs is once they start going downhill they don't usually resurge. Though I don't know how much of it was him playing through injury I wouldn't take him in the third even if I went wr wr, or wr te, fourth I'd consider it.
On Herbert, depends on league size, scoring system etc, but I'm just going off 12 team, 4 points per passing TDs ADPs in FBG leagues. Yeah, in my local league, he will go earlier. Still would grab him in the 5th if there isn't anyone else that I consider a must have there. I just expect a huge season from him.

Pollard did look better last year after Zeke got hurt. Zeke should have sat a while, but got to give the guy credit, he loves to play football. After a rough opener against TB, he was on fire until he got hurt in week 6, partially torn PCL. I just think he's a great value where he is being drafted.

efactor

Coming at you
What does everyone think of Travis Etienne or JK Dobbins? Could you possibly do something crazy like go wr wr te, and grab Etienne and Dobbins? Then how late do you think Lance will go?
ETN is really hard to position for me. Should catch a lot of passes of course, but if Robinson comes back, not sure how much in between the tackles action he will get.

Love Dobbins as it seems the Ravens want to go back to pounding the ball this year. Plus he's pretty cheap. Grab him late 4th to early 5th

hikeNbike

My leagues give same amount whether it's a passing rushing or recieving td so qbs go a bit earlier. Even so I normally do better waiting. Because there are a lot of good qbs, but you can't whiff completely either. If I end up with Lance I need to pair him with someone like maybe Carr or in the mocks I've done Rodgers is going late too. I'm not high on Rodgers losing Adams but I also don't see him falling off the face of the earth either. In the 12 team mock I just did he was available in the 15th round. I don't know if that's an anomally or what we can expect.

efactor

Coming at you
My leagues give same amount whether it's a passing rushing or recieving td so qbs go a bit earlier. Even so I normally do better waiting. Because there are a lot of good qbs, but you can't whiff completely either. If I end up with Lance I need to pair him with someone like maybe Carr or in the mocks I've done Rodgers is going late too. I'm not high on Rodgers losing Adams but I also don't see him falling off the face of the earth either. In the 12 team mock I just did he was available in the 15th round. I don't know if that's an anomally or what we can expect.
I don't really commit either way on QB. I generally wait, but really like Herbert this year. I have done 2 FBG leagues so far, and the mid 5th round on guys just don't excite me that much, so I'll probably be taking a QB earlier than I normally would. Herbert in the 5th/6th or Wilson in the 7th/8th.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This is more designed for redraft, but works for keeper and dynasty too if you can acquire them:

-Justin Jefferson: More open offense with 2 big production seasons on his resume. Wouldn’t be shocked to see a Cooper Kupp 2021 type season. Have to have a top 6 pick in redraft to grab him probably. Would have no issue taking him top 3 behind Taylor and Kupp
Yup, Yup, Yup, love this guy. The only thing that might hold him back is Cousins.
-Zeke: This is more of a value play. I think his demise is being greatly exaggerated. Was having an excellent 2021 before he got hurt. Played through it and still finished with 1000 yards rushing, 47 catches and scored 12 TDs. Says he is completely healthy. Probably last year with Cowboys unless he takes a big pay cut, so they will have no concern with overusing him even with Pollard playing well. Going in late 3rd to mid 4th in early FBG drafts. At that price, yes please
I agree with the bargain buy, but I won't touch him until round 4. I think Dallas will use both backs, and yes I see some games where Zeke will get heavy use. But the question now becomes can he stay healthy? He hasn't lately. That being said the Fantasy world has to start understanding what the NFL seems to have found, Rbs have short life, and don't deserve big contracts after rookie deal. You can plug and play with Rbs drafted in the 2nd, 3rd and in some cases 4th round. Unless you are a tank like Derrick Henry(and even he may be starting to deteriorate...).
-Darren Waller: Another value play. While Adams will get his, the middle of the field will open up for Waller. Top 3 TE who you can get in the mid 4th. Double digits TDs coming.
I really, really love this guy, and love him even more in McDaniels system. That being said, he can't stay on the field. I will try to snag him , but won't move on him before late 3rd or early 4th if that soon. Then again, I am feeling only Kelce as an early round TE target.
-Justin Herbert: 3rd year and it’s his team now. Excellent receivers in Allen, Williams, Palmer and Eckler. Added Everett at TE for another threat. Should be in a lot of shoot outs in the AFC west. 50 TDs coming up. Going in the 7th round currently. Grab him 2-3 rounds later than Josh Allen.
Yup, Yup, Yup
-Darrell Henderson: A guy I will be grabbing in the 10th-11th round in every redraft. Akers looked soooooooo bad when he came back and not sure the extra time will make much difference with an Achilles injury. If he has lost his explosiveness, Henderson will be the starter or at worst, a 50/50 in a good offense.

You’re welcome.
And here is where we differ. They brought back Akers too soon, and by all reports he is looking good. This will be a time share like most NFL teams, but I don't see Henderson pulling all that much duty. Akers will be redzone back as well.

Phicinfan

Administrator
In PPR, Etienne could be gold. In non-ppr draft at your own risk. Robinson is there, and don't forget who is new HC is, Doug Pederson loves to rotate RBs.
Dobbins? If healthy he could be huge, the have no real Wrs and will need to dump off to the backs which Dobbins is great at. They do plan to run alot so both Dobbins and others could see lots of chances.

efactor

Coming at you
And here is where we differ. They brought back Akers too soon, and by all reports he is looking good. This will be a time share like most NFL teams, but I don't see Henderson pulling all that much duty. Akers will be redzone back as well.
Out of curiosity, where did you see this? Kind of quiet on the Cam Akers update front.

Until he is in pads again and I can see he can cut and burst through a hole, I am staying far away at his current ADP of early to mid 3rd. I did grab him in the late 4th in one FBG draft just because I tried a WR in the 1st 3 rounds strategy and he was the last upside type back left, but honestly, don't feel great about that even. Achillies injuries for RBs are usually a death sentence.

efactor

Coming at you
I really, really love this guy, and love him even more in McDaniels system. That being said, he can't stay on the field. I will try to snag him , but won't move on him before late 3rd or early 4th if that soon. Then again, I am feeling only Kelce as an early round TE target.
Well, he did miss 5 games last year, but his first two years with the Raiders, he played all 16.

An injury happened, but to say he can't stay on the field is kind of harsh :cool:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Well, he did miss 5 games last year, but his first two years with the Raiders, he played all 16.

An injury happened, but to say he can't stay on the field is kind of harsh :cool:
Well he has played for 6 years, missed alot of time with Baltimore due to alcohol issues. Since he has played for Raiders he has played in 16 games twice but missed chunks of those games for injuries as well.

Again, not knocking him, he is incredible and always seems open, but he can be a bit fragile.

Remote Controller

Not "must haves" per se, but I am tracking where guys like Pittman, Dillon, Woods, Jeudy, Mitchell, Cousins/Carr (as#2QB) are falling to while jumping on Jefferson in 1st round. I feel he is the safest player in the first round. I still like Fournette (late) in the first round and think Cook is solid anywhere in the middle of the round.

Last edited:

efactor

Coming at you
Not "must haves" per se, but I am tracking where guys like Pittman, Dillon, Woods, Jeudy, Mitchell, Cousins/Carr (as#2QB) are falling to while jumping on Jefferson in 1st round. I feel he is the safest player in the first round. I still like Fournette (late) in the first round and think Cook is solid anywhere in the middle of the round.
Fournette’s ADP is around pick 20 these days so you can probably wait.

Remote Controller

Fournette’s ADP is around pick 20 these days so you can probably wait.
I agree, and have selected him at #15 and #16 so far this year after taking Jefferson and Chase in the first round of those drafts. He was not making it back to me in the 3rd and I feel he will return late round 1 value. I'm not in on Barkley or Zeke and worry Dillon eats into Aaron's numbers quite a bit this year. Of course ppr leaves me open to criticism when it come to Jones. (I'm Packer fan incase any of you forgot.) lol!

Last edited:

Remote Controller

Dillon out rushed Jones last year and had 34 receptions. I see that as the floor, and Green Bay needing to control games because of their makeup, and the loss of Adams.

efactor

Coming at you
Dillon out rushed Jones last year and had 34 receptions. I see that as the floor, and Green Bay needing to control games because of their makeup, and the loss of Adams.
I'm in on Dillion this year at his price tag. Traded for him cheap in a 5 keeper (16 team). Just turned 24. I see a Derrick Henry lite by next year.

I do see Jones as the main beneficiary of Adams leaving. And I see GB giving Dillon the majority of the goal lines carries to ease Jones workload.

efactor

Coming at you
I agree, and have selected him at #15 and #16 so far this year after taking Jefferson and Chase in the first round of those drafts. He was not making it back to me in the 3rd and I feel he will return late round 1 value. I'm not in on Barkley or Zeke and worry Dillon eats into Aaron's numbers quite a bit this year. Of course ppr leaves me open to criticism when it come to Jones. (I'm Packer fan incase any of you forgot.) lol!
Fournette is more of a late 2nd for me. Guys I like better at 15/16 range, but certainly not a pick I hate. Should catch 75 passes if he plays the entire season.

hikeNbike

Guys I like.

Bateman - Hollywood brown was good last year and I think Bateman is a better player. Can be drafted as a third receiver but should give you numbers like a very solid 2nd receiver on your team.

Doubs , worthy of a very late round flyer pick that could pay off. Watson seems to be dinged up a bit and Lazard is no lock to be great getting top wide out coverage.

Etienne - hoping for a home run was getting him in the fourth or even at the top of the fifth in my early drafts, but it's taken a 3rd round pick in my last 2 drafts. Felt better about him at 4th or 5th round but still feel ok at the 3rd round tag.

Winston and Lawrence. Late round qbs, Jameis looked good last year and he has a lot of weapons with Olave, Landry and a returning Michael Thomas. As well as Kamara.Trevor Lawrence, I don't really have a ton of analysis here why I like him more just a feeling. Last year was a disaster, but Urban Meyer is gone, and I feel like Lawrence takes a big leap forward. Better coaching, a returning Etienne, and to a lesser extent Christian Kirk added helps Lawrence make a lot of progress.

Alex Pierce. With Pittman getting most of the attention from defensive backs and with Taylor commanding a lot of the defensive attention, I think Pierce can be really productive as a rookie and make a good 2nd option for Ryan. Expecting he can be a good 4rd receiver or flex play each week.

AJ Dillon - chance for lots of TDs and a good amount of yards to boot. Think he can be a rb2 but you can get him as ab Rb3.

Brandon Aiyuk - huge disappointment for me last year, but he started to pick it up at the end of the season and I think he learns from his issue last year and does well this year and can be had for a wr4 type draft slot in most drafts I've done.