2023 First shot Phicinfan Mock Draft

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, start of free agency has ended, and combine is over, so time to take a stab at what is next.

1) This is what I believe each team will do, not what I think they should do. I am going off of what multiple sites have as their key needs, vs. talent available at that pick.
2) I will do some trades, but I don't believe this draft will have that many, my gut says one or two of the Qbs will drop, and a late move in the first round might happen.

Here we go...

1) Carolina Panthers - C.J. Stroud QB Ohio State - prototypical size with legs and ability to make plays out of pocket. Like it or not teams do have concerns that Young won't stay healthy and look at Kyler Murray as the example.
2) Houston Texans - Bryce Young QB Alabama - evidently the late year win wasn't all that important, as they get the QB by all reports they really wanted.
3) Arizona - No, I don't think Colts panic and try to trade up here, and No I don't expect any other team to do so either - Will Anderson Jr. OLB Alabama - much needed pass rush for Cardinals
4) Indianapolis Colts - Anthony Richardson QB Florida - Colts have to get QB of the future, I don't think this is the right pick, but I believe it is what they will do. I like what Richardson offers, but he isn't early 1st round value IMO.
5) Seattle Seahawks - Tyree Wilson DE Texas Tech - team has to rebuild the defense, and while QB may be a need long term, not here.
6) Detroit Lions - Jalen Carter DT Georgia - yes this is a risky pick, but I see Dan Campbell taking this as a challenge to get this kid right. Plus it hits a major need for an up and coming defense.
7) Las Vegas Raiders - not buying QB with 2 year deal for Jimmy G, so Defense will be target - Devin Witherspoon CB Illinois - he will make defense much better.
8) Atlanta Falcons - Christian Gonzalez CB Oregon - again best talent at a need position
Won't be surprised if 7 and 8 are switched, both are very, very good.
9) Chicago Bears - Paris Johnson Jr OT Ohio State - yes the kid from Northwestern is rated higher by some, but by all reports Johnson is better in pass protection, and he has the ability to play at G or T. They have to protect Fields better this year.
10) Philadelphia Eagles - yes folks Bijan is a temptation here. But history is Eagles don't take LBs, RBs or even CBs in first round. They build from inside. So I could see Skoronski or Van Ness or Nolan Smith here as they all fit a need - but to me with D-Line aging you have to go Lukas Van Ness DE Iowa
11) Tennessee Titans - Titans run to the podium to pick Peter Skoronski G/OT Northwestern - yeah no QB yet... but wait and see....
12) Houston Texans - 2nd first round pick - Zay Flowers WR Boston College - WR is a need, with the trading of Cooks, even with signing of Woods as FA. Why Flowers? I thought about Smith-Njigba, but I am still leery of the hamstring issues plaguing Njigba all year last year.
13) New York Jets - Broderick Jones OT Georgia - someone has to protect Mr Rodgers when he gets there - Aaron will LOVE this pick.
14) New England Patriots - Joey Porter Jr CB Penn State - CB is a need, and this team needs alot, so best player available IMO.
15) Green Bay Packers - Michael Meyer TE Notre Dame - losing Tonyan hurt this offense, but with Love taking over getting a great inline TE that can block or catch will only help him and young Wrs to develop
16) Washington Commanders - how many thing Will Levis is going here..... well he isn't - Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi St.
17) Pittsburgh Steelers - not a major need, but the talent deserves this pick - Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR Ohio State
18) Detroit Lions - Nolan Smith OLB Georgia - Detroit is going to make this defense much, much better. CB could have been option but this was too good to pass up.
19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dawand Jones OT Ohio State - have to protect ... well whoever is starting at QB. Yes folks Levis is still there, but he isn't ready to start right away and Tampa has more issues to address.
20) Seattle Seahawks - Quentin Johnson WR TCU - by all reports they need more WR help, and Lockett may not be there much longer
21) Forfeited by Miami per NFL due to tampering violations
22) Los Angeles Chargers - Bijan Robinson RB Texas - the rich get richer - and look for an Ekeler deal later IMO.
23) Baltimore Ravens - Jordin Addison WR USC - need someone to catch the ball in Ravens land
24) Minnesota Vikings - QB Hendon Hooker Tennessee - Big first surprise - I love Hooker, I love him more than Richardson. He is pro ready, with the offense he has run, and if not for tearing his ACL, he would be much, much higher in this draft. I really considered him for Indy, but he won't be ready for start of season. This will give him time to learn behind Cousins, and allow Vikings to move past Cousins next year potentially.
25) Jacksonville Jaguars - Miles Murphy DE Clemson - much needed pass rusher
26) New York Giants - Deonte Banks CB Maryland - another need, and best talent available for them
27) Dallas Cowboys - Jahmyr Gibbs RB Alabama - pass catching back that will help spell Pollard and in case he isn't ready for start of season - Bye Bye Zeke
28) Buffalo Bills - Jaylin Hyatt WR Tennessee - fits a need, and protects for Diggs potential issues(hearing rumblings he isn't happy)
29) Cincinnati Bengals - Brian Branch S Alabama - lost key S in FA
30) New Orleans Saints - Will McDonald IV Iowa State - making a tough defense even tougher
31) Philadelphia Eagles - 2nd first round pick - Bryan Bresee DT Clemson
32) Kansas City - TRADE - Tennessee trades up - Tennessee - Will Levis QB Kentucky

hikeNbike

Who is trading for Ekeler? Rams? Ekeler a solid player no doubt I'm just having trouble with a fit for him, given his age and a lot of teams already seem set at rb. I guess the Eagles could use someone but Gainwell is younger and cheaper and already on the roster.

Rams seem like a good fit but feel like they are rebuilding and don't need to be trading more picks.

Maybe the Dolphins? The Bills? Bengals instead of Mixon? Is he a straight up trade for a 2nd round pick?

Last edited:

hikeNbike

I think the Patriots issue is they have terrible talent on the field, but Bill is just too good a coach that gets them too many wins and prevents them from being in a spot to take an elite QB. And Patriots have underwhelmed with their draft picks especially on offense. Getting Brady in the 6th round was mostly luck, had they known what they had in him they wouldn't have drafted him 6th round. Props to them for putting the pieces together, but that perfect storm of things coming together is not likely to happen again, and not quickly. Outside of maybe rb they need help all over the field on offense. Taking Bijan may help them win a couple games but it's not going to get them into contention, unless they somehow solve their other offensive shortcomings.

efactor

Coming at you
I really feel Bill is feeling pressure to succeed and move forward from the Brady time. He wants to make a splash somehow.
Well, they are lacking playmakers, so Bijan would be a "splash" move. I always got the feeling BB isn't a huge Stevenson fan despite the success he has had.

Pats have a lot of question marks going into the season. Really hard to gauge the direction they are going in.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Who is trading for Ekeler? Rams? Ekeler a solid player no doubt I'm just having trouble with a fit for him, given his age and a lot of teams already seem set at rb. I guess the Eagles could use someone but Gainwell is younger and cheaper and already on the roster.

Rams seem like a good fit but feel like they are rebuilding and don't need to be trading more picks.

Maybe the Dolphins? The Bills? Bengals instead of Mixon? Is he a straight up trade for a 2nd round pick?
Probably no one now. But after the draft or during it? No idea. I have seen multiple mocks with Eagles taking Bijan Robinson at 10 - won't happen folks Eagles don't take first round RBs and never that early. After that you have multiple teams that might take him, but gut says it will happen probably in the 20's. I actually would love to see Baltimore take him, if they are going back to run and defense mode...but they may be taking Qb instead.

I will say I could see Eagles moving in after the draft to trade for Ekeler if their ask drops. I have seen some rumors that Eagles are willing to drop down from #10 if you include a 1st next year - that seems to be their mantra...

Phicinfan

Administrator
I think the Patriots issue is they have terrible talent on the field, but Bill is just too good a coach that gets them too many wins and prevents them from being in a spot to take an elite QB. And Patriots have underwhelmed with their draft picks especially on offense. Getting Brady in the 6th round was mostly luck, had they known what they had in him they wouldn't have drafted him 6th round. Props to them for putting the pieces together, but that perfect storm of things coming together is not likely to happen again, and not quickly. Outside of maybe rb they need help all over the field on offense. Taking Bijan may help them win a couple games but it's not going to get them into contention, unless they somehow solve their other offensive shortcomings.
If you look the Patriots have absolutely drafted horribly, so you blame Belichick there as he is the decision maker on talent. Yes he is an incredible defensive minded coach, but he is awful on the other side of the ball - the debacle they had at OC last year proves that. You can win with great defense IF you can run and keep the ball and get scores. With no real WRs - yes they signed JuJu but he isn't what he was, nor great TEs, the Qbs could be Jesus and still not win games. And with the poor drafting they don't have that great a defense either.

hikeNbike

Last mock I saw had the Texans passing on a QB completely and taking DE Will Anderson. How wild would that be? Do expect someone to trade up to 3 if this happens, but I can't imagine the Texans pass on Stroud or Young, whichever is available. However it sure would be a Texans move to skip taking the QB and letting him fall into Tennessee (in a trade up) or Indy's lap.

hikeNbike

Anyone see what Bryce Young scored on his wonderlic? I'm hearing this guy is an Albert Einstein type genius playing QB.