2022 NFL coaching hot seat discussion

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
After hearing Josh McDaniels had a closed door meeting with Mark Davis after todays loss, who's getting fired first if there isnt a dramatic turnaround? Hackett or McDaniels?

I say Hackett. He so far has proven he was not ready to be a HC. Lucky wins not counting from Denver for me.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well, lets take a much deeper look, as I think there may be a few more with more to be concerned about.....

AFC East:
Buffalo - Sean McDermott - he is fine no issues
Miami - Mike McDaniel - he is very fine - so much for Sean Peyton huh?
NY Jets - Robert Saleh - his seat is warm, but the team was a dumpster fire before he got there, I think he gets another year
New England - Bill Belichick - hear me out here, I think he is safe, and won't get fired but will retire when he wants, but he really deserves to be fired, the whole OC debacle and lack of getting talent for young Qb is just sad.

AFC North:
Baltimore - John Harbaugh - Set and fine - with new deal
Cleveland - Kevin Stefanski - again he is set, nothing but success and Watson in the future
Pittsburgh - Mike Tomlin - never had a season below 0.500 - he is safe and deserves it. But it may be close to time for him to retire
Cincinnati - Zac Taylor - he is safe, but OL coach and OC may be goners after this year - they have to protect Burrow

AFC South:
Houston - Lovie Smith for a stop gap is getting some push with the kids - safe
Jacksonville - Doug Pederson looking like a great hire
Tennessee - Mike Vrabel - I think this seat is very, very warm - he can't get them over the hump
Indianapolis - WE GOT A FIRE FOLKS - Frank Reich is a great coach, he is hampered by a lousy owner. But he has had too many chances

AFC West:
Kansas City - Andy Reid - safe
Denver - Nathaniel Hackett - agree with all of you this is a barn fire - he even had to beg GM to get him help to make decisions....
Las Vegas - Josh McDaniels - he is safe since he is new, but I bet they wish they had kept Versacci or whatever his name was...
Los Angeles Chargers - Brandon Staley - FIRE, FIRE - he has everything he needs, if they lose again this year I think he is gone

NFC East:
NY Giants - Brian Daboll should run for President - what he has done with that team is amazing
Philadelphia - Nick Sirianni - same here
Dallas - Mike McCarthy - should be gone already - but if they don't do well in playoffs I think this is where Sean Peyton will end up...
Washington - Ron Rivera - he deserves to stay, but unless they vote out the owner, my guess is he is a goner

NFC North:
Green Bay - Matt LaFluer - safe
Minnesota - Kevin O'Connell - safe as he is new
Chicago - Matt Eberflus - safe - but GM had better get some talent in there...
Detroit - Dan Campbell - safe - they are playing hard, which is all you can ask

NFC South:
Tampa Bay - Todd Bowles - he is fine for now
New Orleans - Dennis Allen - this looks the same as end of Peyton's reign, this may be a one and done here
Carolina - Matt Ruhle - I think he is a goner
Atlanta - Arthur Smith - they are playing better than they were, so he gets a bye this year

NFC West:
Los Angeles Rams - I hate the guy, but Sean McVay just got a new deal so safe
San Francisco - Kyle Shanahan - I think he is running out of time, and this year could be a breaker if they win with Jimmy G, they spent a ton of capital on Trey Lance - but he should be safe
Arizona - Kliff Kingsbury - FIRE, FIRE, FIRE - he is a goner folks, they may be stuck with Murray, but if he isn't in playoffs and does well.....
Seattle - Pete Carroll - he is basically the GM, so he is probably safe, but shouldn't be. That team looks horrible.

efactor

Coming at you
Shanahan isn't going anywhere unless he wants to.

That said, he needs to open the passing game up. Wasting all the talent he has in Aiyuk, Deebo and Kittle. Plus, find a good, durable RB. Using a journeyman like Wilson isn't cutting it.

Last night was pathetic. Same old song and dance. Dominate early but only up 7-0 instead of 21-0. Would like to see them step on a teams throat for a change. Defense is great

Remote Controller

Los Angeles Chargers - Brandon Staley - FIRE, FIRE - he has everything he needs, if they lose again this year I think he is gone
The handling of Herberts injuries this past week is another nail in the coffin. He probably shouldn't have played, and definitly should have been pulled early.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Yup, have to add Ron Rivera to the list on the hot seat, especially after his rant this week

Phicinfan

Administrator
The guy is just so over matched its sad. How do you not go RPO with a mobile QB like Wilson?!?!

efactor

Coming at you
I know Zac Taylor isn’t getting fired but whoever is calling the offensive plays should. 1st and goal from the 1. Shotgun formation, short pass incomplete. 2nd down, double reverse with Boyd looking to pass to Burrow. Loss back to 15. 3rd down pass back to 1. 4th down, shotgun formation again and an attempt at a shovel pass to some scrub. Incomplete. Amazingly lame. Mixon had been running the ball well. Line up behind center and run the friggin ball or run a play action and you probably have someone open in the flat. These guys are way overthinking

Phicinfan

Administrator
Update post week 5:

AFC East:
Buffalo - Safe
Miami - Safe
NY Jets - Safe - but needs to keep getting better
New England - Safe? - he has to be getting close to retirement?

AFC North:
Baltimore - Safe
Cleveland - Safe - he will get at least on year with Watson
Pittsburgh - Safe - going through another rebuild
Cincinnati - Safe - but he should be careful

AFC South:
Houston - Safe - he has them playing hard
Jacksonville - Safe
Tennessee - Warning - this isn't that good a team, and he may be reaching his limit
Indianapolis - Fire - On his third replacement QB and still doesn't look good. Its a shame cause I think he is a good coach

AFC West:
Kansas City - Safe
Denver - Fire - he is way out matched
Las Vegas - Warning - they don't look good and the owner has NO patience
Los Angeles Chargers - Fire - Calling it now, no playoffs or quick exit and so will he.

NFC East:
NY Giants - Safe
Philadelphia - Safe
Dallas - Fire - Sean Payton is sitting there.....
Washington - Warning - They are not good, but he is carrying the franchise for a lame owner

NFC North:
Green Bay - Safe
Minnesota - Safe
Chicago - Safe
Detroit - Safe

NFC South:
Tampa Bay - Safe
New Orleans - Safe?
Carolina - Fire - Fired - replaced with interim Steve Wilks
Atlanta - Safe

NFC West:
Los Angeles Rams - Safe
San Francisco - Safe
Arizona - Fire - he is a dead man walking - they just look so bad late in games...
Seattle - Safe? - he is basically he GM

Phicinfan

Administrator
Uh Oh....
GM John Elway of Denver is now stating it was nip and tuck in the decision between Current coach Nathaniel Hackett and first year HC Kevin O'Connell of Minnesota ... Sounds like someone is having buyers remorse here....

Can we all say Hackett is done by end of this year? I knew you could ;)

Phicinfan

Administrator
Post week 7, nearing the half way mark.....

AFC East:
Buffalo - Safe
Miami - Safe
NY Jets - Safe
New England - Safe

AFC North:
Baltimore - Safe
Cleveland - Safe - he will get at least on year with Watson
Pittsburgh - Safe
Cincinnati - Safe

AFC South:
Houston - Warning - Team isn't really progressing, and they have moved on after one year already
Jacksonville - Safe
Tennessee - Warning - they are winning, but they don't look good doing it
Indianapolis - Fire - Another QB change, is it the QBs or the coaching at this point?

AFC West:
Kansas City - Safe
Denver - Fire - he is way out matched, and you can't blame all of it on a bad Russell Wilson
Las Vegas - Warning - they don't look good and the owner has NO patience
Los Angeles Chargers - Fire - Calling it now, no playoffs or quick exit and so will he.

NFC East:
NY Giants - Safe
Philadelphia - Safe
Dallas - Fire - Sean Payton is sitting there..... and this team is not as dominant as it should be
Washington - Warning - They are not good, but he is carrying the franchise for a lame owner

NFC North:
Green Bay - Safe
Minnesota - Safe
Chicago - Safe
Detroit - Safe - giving him a bit more as team was terrible. But they are looking awful now.

NFC South:
Tampa Bay - Warning - Team looks old and slow, and folks will blame new HC
New Orleans - Warning - they can't pick a starting QB and can't keep WRs healthy
Carolina - Fire - Fired - replaced with interim Steve Wilks
Atlanta - Safe

NFC West:
Los Angeles Rams - Safe
San Francisco - Safe
Arizona - Fire - he is a dead man walking - they just look so bad late in games...
Seattle - Safe

Phicinfan

Administrator
I could be wrong, but I think Josh McDaniels days as a HC are over. Raiders just look awful, and Carr is regressing under a HC that is supposed to be an offensive genius. Time to return to OC work Josh.