2021 Qb status - who will stay, who will go?

Remote Controller

Baker says goodbye to Cleveland???

“With many uncertainties, here is where my head and heart is. The past 4 years have been nothing short of truly life changing since I heard my name called in the draft to go to Cleveland. This is not a message with hidden meaning. This is strictly to thank the city of Cleveland for embracing my family and me. We have made many memories and shared growing in this process through all the ups and downs.

“I have no clue what happens next, which is the meaning behind the silence I have had during the duration of this process. I can only control what I can, which is trusting in God’s plan throughout this process. I have given this franchise everything I have. That is something I’ve always done at every stage, and at every level. And that will not change wherever I take my next snap. Whatever happens … I just want to say thank you to the fans who truly embraced who I am and the mentality that aligned so well with this city’s hard working people.

“Cleveland will always be a part of Emily and my story. And we will always be thankful for the impact it has had and will have in our lives. Sincerely, Baker Reagan Mayfield.”

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Baker says goodbye to Cleveland???

“With many uncertainties, here is where my head and heart is. The past 4 years have been nothing short of truly life changing since I heard my name called in the draft to go to Cleveland. This is not a message with hidden meaning. This is strictly to thank the city of Cleveland for embracing my family and me. We have made many memories and shared growing in this process through all the ups and downs.

“I have no clue what happens next, which is the meaning behind the silence I have had during the duration of this process. I can only control what I can, which is trusting in God’s plan throughout this process. I have given this franchise everything I have. That is something I’ve always done at every stage, and at every level. And that will not change wherever I take my next snap. Whatever happens … I just want to say thank you to the fans who truly embraced who I am and the mentality that aligned so well with this city’s hard working people.

“Cleveland will always be a part of Emily and my story. And we will always be thankful for the impact it has had and will have in our lives. Sincerely, Baker Reagan Mayfield.”
what will be funny is if they don't get Watson, then what for Cleveland?

Phicinfan

Administrator
what will be funny is if they don't get Watson, then what for Cleveland?
Stories are out now that regardless of getting Watson or not, Mayfield is a goner. Just too much going on now to want to keep him per some reports....

efactor

Coming at you
Stories are out now that regardless of getting Watson or not, Mayfield is a goner. Just too much going on now to want to keep him per some reports....
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Seems an odd strategy to not have a viable back-up plan. Baker is better than the other non Watson options

Phicinfan

Administrator
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Seems an odd strategy to not have a viable back-up plan. Baker is better than the other non Watson options
Well the back up options are obvious.
Trade for Ryan if ATL gets Watson, Darnold if Panthers do
Sign FA Winston or Mariota
Trade for some back up like Minshew, Bridgewater or such

Cleveland has the chance to deal Mayfield to Colts before SF does with Jimmy G.

efactor

Coming at you
Well the back up options are obvious.
Trade for Ryan if ATL gets Watson, Darnold if Panthers do
Sign FA Winston or Mariota
Trade for some back up like Minshew, Bridgewater or such

Cleveland has the chance to deal Mayfield to Colts before SF does with Jimmy G.
So Darnold, Winston, Mariota or Minshew is the plan for a team that has most of the other pieces in place to compete? That's not a plan.

Still don't know how Atlanta can handle the contract of Watson and the dead money hit on Ryan. Plus Ryan is not the Ryan of even 3 years ago. That's not an OBVIOUS plan either.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So all the major pieces have fallen and here is what is left at QB for the following teams:
Indy - dealt Wentz to Washington
Seattle - have Drew Lock though
New Orleans - have Taysom Hill
Atlanta - ?? - were trying to get Watson, not sure if they still want to deal Ryan
Houston - reportedly they are open to staying with Davis Mills - but have finally dealt Watson away
Carolina - the other team trying for Watson - they also don't seem sold on Sam Darnold

Qbs left -
Baker Mayfield - has to be dealt due to cap hurt as well as 2 other Qbs on roster
Jimmy Garoppolo - assuming they want cap help and are moving to Trey Lance
FAs - Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Ryan Fitzpatrick(not sure he wants to play...), Colin Kaepernick

Phicinfan

Administrator
So all the major pieces have fallen and here is what is left at QB for the following teams:
Indy - dealt Wentz to Washington
Seattle - have Drew Lock though
New Orleans - have Taysom Hill
Atlanta - ?? - were trying to get Watson, not sure if they still want to deal Ryan
Houston - reportedly they are open to staying with Davis Mills - but have finally dealt Watson away
Carolina - the other team trying for Watson - they also don't seem sold on Sam Darnold

Qbs left -
Baker Mayfield - has to be dealt due to cap hurt as well as 2 other Qbs on roster
Jimmy Garoppolo - assuming they want cap help and are moving to Trey Lance
FAs - Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Ryan Fitzpatrick(not sure he wants to play...), Colin Kaepernick
So....
Indy gets Matt Ryan
Saints re-sign Jameis Winston
Atlanta - looking to sign Marcus Mariota
Houston - by all reports staying with Davis Mills, but looking for vet to support him
Carolina - ???? - do they go for Garoppolo? Mayfield?
Seattle - really settling on Drew Lock?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Brady to Miami???
I am hearing two stories there. One is for this year, the other is to talk about next year? He is locked into Tampa this year I thought. I don't see how team trades him after getting players to come back with him being there.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Carolina now stating Sam Darnold in the lead to be starting Qb this year...