2021 Qb status - who will stay, who will go?

efactor

Coming at you
I see a coach who holds back a talent. It matters not that he doesn't call the plays. He controls the guy who does.
The self proclaimed "Mr. Unlimited" has become limited without his old wheels.

Same old Pete the Cheat. Nothing has changed. Walden was hired to open up the offense. Weapons are there. Wilson looked like he was intentionally ignoring Metcalf last night. Maybe his hand still isn't healed although he says it is.

Wilson has always kind of been the "uncool" kid who wants to be cool. The time after MNF, when Metcalf was being interviewed and Wilson kind of crashed the interview was pretty painful to watch. Seems like a decent guy, so maybe just try embracing the nerd within.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Regardless of why Waldron was brought in, he failed miserably. Was it his offense or was he limited by Pete? I honestly don’t know.

I do know Jesus Christ can’t throw accurate passes from his ass, the O-line is atrocious and that is directly Pete’s fault as he is the real GM there.

Quite honestly the best thing for both is a separation so Seattle can rebuild and Wilson can revive his career.

efactor

Coming at you
An article from the homer Seahawk forum:

Well, Russell Wilson has been given the opportunity to cook. And he served up a plate of shit soufflé.

I have never had the experience of watching Russell Wilson be consistently terrible. For the past nine years, time and time again, he has proven time and time again why he belongs in the conversation of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. This year, he’d be lucky to make it in the top half.

Sure, he’s had his low moments in his career (especially against Green Bay, oddly enough). But the displays he’s put up the last three weeks have been downright shambolic. And for those of you blaming his issues on the finger injury, I hate to burst your bubble: none of the errors he’s making have to do with him not being healthy. They have existed long before this injury, and will persist for at least the rest of this season.

Wilson is so used to needing to make a big play with every throw, and I don’t blame him. But the fact is, the Seattle Seahawks have a top 10-quality defense right now, and he’s squandering their play every time he drops back. Whether it’s forcing the ball deep to DK Metcalf, or holding the ball waiting for a deep route to break with options open underneath, Russell Wilson looks like a rookie making his first start, or a 10 year-old playing Madden who suddenly switched bodies with Russell on the sideline.

This season, Russell’s Total QBR is 46.2, a full 11 points below his previous low-mark in 2016 and more than 15 points lower than any other total he’s put up in his career. Perhaps the most telling statistic about Russ’ decision-making (and desire to take the deep shot), though is his consistent failure to rack up first downs. Through eight games, he has averaged just nine first downs per start, by far the lowest total of his career.

It’s not just the decision-making, either (although the way he squandered that two-point conversion forcing the ball to Swain will severely limit my sleep for the rest of this week). He doesn’t seem to have any accuracy on throws less than 20 yards. He missed Gerald Everett at least 3 or 4 times tonight when Everett was wide open. He threw a couple of passes so off-target that they should have been picked off. His completion percentage on the season is 64.9%, the lowest it’s been since the Seahawks’ disaster of a season in 2017. In the last three games, he’s failed to crack 65% completion even once.

Russ just looks awful when he tries to run the ball, too. He gets out of the pocket on occasion, but even when he runs you can tell so much of that mobility that made him so dangerous in his 20s is just plain gone. Russell has rushed for just 118 yards through eight games, which, if played out for a 16-game season, would be on pace for what would be the lowest rushing total of his career (and his second-lowest rushing average).

The truth is, the main flaw with Wilson’s game is that it relies so heavily on his (and the Seahawks’) ability to run the ball down their opponents’ throats. Wilson’s two worst seasons before 2021 (2016 and 2017) also happened to be the Seahawks’ two worst rushing seasons as a team in Wilson’s career, and 2021 is on pace to join those seasons in the cellar, despite the extra game.

Wilson simply cannot perform when the Seahawks aren’t dominant in the run game, and that’s not just because the playcalling becomes more limited. It’s because Wilson fails to adjust. Normally, when a defense is afraid of the run, they become more susceptible to throws over the top. But teams have learned to play against Russ with a two-deep look, as they don’t have to worry as much about his or the Seahawks’ running ability, and he has not changed his game one bit. He is still trying to force the deep throws that were there earlier in his career.

Scarily, this is a side of Russ I’ve never seen three games in a row. There is no doubt that he has never been this bad. Russ has never seen this side of himself three games in a row. He’s now lost three in a row for the first time in his career. And clearly, this decline has been a long time coming. Perhaps the rust he has to shake off from missing a month of football is contributing to his struggles, but it’s my belief that this rust is just serving to expose issues in his game that he’s been lucky to avoid for this long.

Russ is not giving me any signs he’s coming back from this rut. Believe me, I wish he would. But those glimmers of hope he gave on the last drive just felt like the last gasp of a former superstar heading towards the sunset of his career.

I’m going to miss prime Russ just as much as the next guy. But he’s dead and buried. This is the reality of his game now. Everything that made him so dangerous in his career (like his deadly read-option abilities, the Seahawks’ ability to threaten defenses with Marshawn Lynch, and his deadeye accuracy) is all gone. What we’re left with is a one-dimensional shell of a former superstar, forever chasing the big play that will make him feel like his old magical self again.

Buyer beware of teams throwing out multiple 1sts for this 33 year old version of Wilson

Phicinfan

Administrator
An article from the homer Seahawk forum:

Well, Russell Wilson has been given the opportunity to cook. And he served up a plate of shit soufflé.

I have never had the experience of watching Russell Wilson be consistently terrible. For the past nine years, time and time again, he has proven time and time again why he belongs in the conversation of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. This year, he’d be lucky to make it in the top half.

Sure, he’s had his low moments in his career (especially against Green Bay, oddly enough). But the displays he’s put up the last three weeks have been downright shambolic. And for those of you blaming his issues on the finger injury, I hate to burst your bubble: none of the errors he’s making have to do with him not being healthy. They have existed long before this injury, and will persist for at least the rest of this season.

Wilson is so used to needing to make a big play with every throw, and I don’t blame him. But the fact is, the Seattle Seahawks have a top 10-quality defense right now, and he’s squandering their play every time he drops back. Whether it’s forcing the ball deep to DK Metcalf, or holding the ball waiting for a deep route to break with options open underneath, Russell Wilson looks like a rookie making his first start, or a 10 year-old playing Madden who suddenly switched bodies with Russell on the sideline.

This season, Russell’s Total QBR is 46.2, a full 11 points below his previous low-mark in 2016 and more than 15 points lower than any other total he’s put up in his career. Perhaps the most telling statistic about Russ’ decision-making (and desire to take the deep shot), though is his consistent failure to rack up first downs. Through eight games, he has averaged just nine first downs per start, by far the lowest total of his career.

It’s not just the decision-making, either (although the way he squandered that two-point conversion forcing the ball to Swain will severely limit my sleep for the rest of this week). He doesn’t seem to have any accuracy on throws less than 20 yards. He missed Gerald Everett at least 3 or 4 times tonight when Everett was wide open. He threw a couple of passes so off-target that they should have been picked off. His completion percentage on the season is 64.9%, the lowest it’s been since the Seahawks’ disaster of a season in 2017. In the last three games, he’s failed to crack 65% completion even once.

Russ just looks awful when he tries to run the ball, too. He gets out of the pocket on occasion, but even when he runs you can tell so much of that mobility that made him so dangerous in his 20s is just plain gone. Russell has rushed for just 118 yards through eight games, which, if played out for a 16-game season, would be on pace for what would be the lowest rushing total of his career (and his second-lowest rushing average).

The truth is, the main flaw with Wilson’s game is that it relies so heavily on his (and the Seahawks’) ability to run the ball down their opponents’ throats. Wilson’s two worst seasons before 2021 (2016 and 2017) also happened to be the Seahawks’ two worst rushing seasons as a team in Wilson’s career, and 2021 is on pace to join those seasons in the cellar, despite the extra game.

Wilson simply cannot perform when the Seahawks aren’t dominant in the run game, and that’s not just because the playcalling becomes more limited. It’s because Wilson fails to adjust. Normally, when a defense is afraid of the run, they become more susceptible to throws over the top. But teams have learned to play against Russ with a two-deep look, as they don’t have to worry as much about his or the Seahawks’ running ability, and he has not changed his game one bit. He is still trying to force the deep throws that were there earlier in his career.

Scarily, this is a side of Russ I’ve never seen three games in a row. There is no doubt that he has never been this bad. Russ has never seen this side of himself three games in a row. He’s now lost three in a row for the first time in his career. And clearly, this decline has been a long time coming. Perhaps the rust he has to shake off from missing a month of football is contributing to his struggles, but it’s my belief that this rust is just serving to expose issues in his game that he’s been lucky to avoid for this long.

Russ is not giving me any signs he’s coming back from this rut. Believe me, I wish he would. But those glimmers of hope he gave on the last drive just felt like the last gasp of a former superstar heading towards the sunset of his career.

I’m going to miss prime Russ just as much as the next guy. But he’s dead and buried. This is the reality of his game now. Everything that made him so dangerous in his career (like his deadly read-option abilities, the Seahawks’ ability to threaten defenses with Marshawn Lynch, and his deadeye accuracy) is all gone. What we’re left with is a one-dimensional shell of a former superstar, forever chasing the big play that will make him feel like his old magical self again.

Buyer beware of teams throwing out multiple 1sts for this 33 year old version of Wilson
We all have opinions...
I also am not convinced Seattle will let Wilson go, and if they did, I doubt it would be an NFC team. Only time will tell. I do honestly think letting Wilson go is best for Seattle to alleviate the cap hit, and free up $$$$ to get more talent. Plus the picks also they will get. Regardless of what folks think, he will garner at least 2 1st round picks(1 in separate years is my guess) as there is always one team that will over pay.

The whole Qb market will be driven by who goes where....
Rodgers - stays or goes - gut says stays.

Jimmy G - stays or goes - I say goes(they want Lance to take over.. and they are cap tight), I could see a Denver or Pittsburgh or Carolina here, Maybe even New Orleans

Wilson - stays or goes - just for fun say go - Again... Carolina, Denver, Pittsburgh, Houston, New Orleans

Watson - now I know, all of you say his legal situation will hold him up...but I don't think so. Per reports he was damn close to going to Miami, and they were requiring him to settle the cases and by all reports the $$$$ are set, the only point is Watson and his legal team want no gag order on the settlement so they can share their side and the litigator for the ladies wants the gag order(that should tell us something here...). I think once year is over, he gets this settled and he can and will be moved. As long as no criminal charges are levied, he won't get much if anything from the league for settling the civil cases. - same players here... Denver, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Miami(owner still wants him), New Orleans.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Of course as I said that, Rodgers is now crying that GB coaches have blabbed about his bad toe. Adios Aaron!

efactor

Coming at you
Of course as I said that, Rodgers is now crying that GB coaches have blabbed about his bad toe. Adios Aaron!
As stated previously, Aaron has gone from quirky to just being a jackass. Maybe it’s his new Hollywood girlfriend or his stint on jeopardy. He is very into himself these days.

Phicinfan

Administrator
As stated previously, Aaron has gone from quirky to just being a jackass. Maybe it’s his new Hollywood girlfriend or his stint on jeopardy. He is very into himself these days.
Hollywood!!!! :cool:

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
I love the headlines that people pull from his weekly interviews with McAfee

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Latest update - with playoffs in divisional round:
AFC:

East:
Buffalo
- Josh Allen - Safe
New England - Mac Jones - Safe
New York Jets
- Zach Wilson - Safe
Miami - Tua Tagovailoa - Safe - reports out now that Miami is expected to keep and stay with Tua, not spending it all to get Watson

North:
Bengals
- Joe Burrow - Safe
Baltimore - Lamar Jackson - Safe - needs long term deal
Cleveland - Baker Mayfield - Staying - He will get competition, but will be with team next year, but don't see team picking up his option year.
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - Gone - He might play next year, but team and he agreed it won't be Pittsburgh

South:
Tennessee
- Ryan Tannehill - Safe - contract runs through 2023
Indianapolis - Carson Wentz - ???? - Team is not giving him a lock, may look elsewhere
Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence - Safe
Houston
- Tyrod Taylor, Davis Mills, Deshaun Watson - Gone - Mills may get chance to win job, but I see them making a move on Watson, and getting someone else in.

West:
Las Vegas
- Derek Carr - ???? - contract runs through 2023 - but no dead money so he could be dealt for no real hit. New GM coming in as well.
Los Angeles Chargers - Justin Herbert - Safe
Kansas City
- Patrick Mahomes - Safe
Denver - Teddy Bridgewater - Gone - New HC may mean new Qb. Not sure who will be available.

Looks like 3 for sure openings, and 2 that may open. If Carr hits open market or gets dealt, things will move quickly

Phicinfan

Administrator
Latest update - Divisional round
NFC:

East:
Dallas
- Dak Prescott - Safe
Washington - Taylor Heinicke Ryan Fitzpatrick - Gone - Fitzpatrick will be gone, Heinicke will stay as back up. But need a real starter
Philadelphia - Justin Hurts - Safe - look for a Defense based draft - need edge rush, LB and Cb help
NY Giants - Daniel Jones - Gone - GM, HC fired, and he may be with team, but I don't think he starts.

North:
Green Bay
- Aaron Rodgers - TBD - if they win he may stay, but he may just say screw it and go
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins - ???? - GM and HC fired, and his cap hit is huge.
Chicago - Justin Fields - Safe
Detroit - Jared Goff - TBD - gut says he stays if for no reason the cap hit.

South:
Tampa Bay - Tom Brady - Safe - he will decide when to leave
New Orleans - Jameis Winston - Gone - Saints need a real QB and have already spent to keep Hybrid king Hill.
Atlanta - Matt Ryan - Safe -gut says they keep rebuilding and not eat salary
Carolina - Sam Darnold - Gone - He might be with team, but not sure he starts.

West:
Arizona
- Kyler Murray - Safe
Los Angeles Rams - Matthew Stafford - Safe
Seattle
- Russell Wilson - TBD - All reports state HC is staying. But is Wilson?
San Francisco - Jimmy Garoppolo, Trey Lance - Gone, Safe - Jimmy G costs to much to keep, and they need to get Lance in there.

So, 4 teams need new Qbs(San Fran has drafted theirs), a lot will shift if teams move on from existing Qb.

Rodgers, Wilson, Garoppolo, Cousins and Carr if they hit the market will get huge interest from some teams.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Eagles GM Roseman stated Hurts has done enough to be starting Qb next year

Mike

Administrator
Dallas - Dak Prescott - Safe - Has played well, but needs to stay healthy
Call me the crazy one, but this would be my Herschel Walker. If I could find a contender to bite, I would make one hell of a blockbuster trade. This is an above average QB making HOF money. It's a different NFL than back then, but this team could still cash in on this somehow. With better coaching, a Super Bowl is still possible with Dak, but not BECAUSE of Dak.

Health is actually my secondary concern. This guy missed a game this year with a non-related injury to what kept him out for so long. I don't buy that.

Dak isn't full speed, and I don't see him ever being full speed. There is a nice receiving corps here, a really nice set of running backs, and a very talented offensive line that needs a leader.

Dallas has a very aggressive defense, and special teams unit, something that takes us back to the 90's.

Dak's money could very well cripple the franchise. Lots of players earned a payday, he is holding much of that money.

Mike

Administrator
Dak Prescott....

"I'm just wavering now with Dak. I saw regression as the season went on. That's a disappointment at $40 million a year. It's not about the money, it's about that player playing the position and not improving, declining in a year where we started out so well. ... We almost had the NFC East won in the first seven weeks. Then we started going downhill. A lot of it was on the offensive side of the ball, and a lot of it was predicated by the play of the quarterback."

Drew Pearson

That man knows a thing or two about winning the ultimate prize.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Dak Prescott....

"I'm just wavering now with Dak. I saw regression as the season went on. That's a disappointment at $40 million a year. It's not about the money, it's about that player playing the position and not improving, declining in a year where we started out so well. ... We almost had the NFC East won in the first seven weeks. Then we started going downhill. A lot of it was on the offensive side of the ball, and a lot of it was predicated by the play of the quarterback."

Drew Pearson

That man knows a thing or two about winning the ultimate prize.
No one will eat that contract. No one. Not for Dak. Watson will be traded first, and then maybe Rodgers or Wilson.