Okay folks, today is round 2 and round 3. Picks will be fast and furious so I may not be able to keep up but will do what I can. Looking forward to more surprises.
As for round 1 - here is my surprises....
- SF at #3 - going Trey Lance - Big boom or bust pick. I applaud them for taking the shot. This kid could be the next big star, or he may end up wilting vs real competition. Only time will tell. I am assuming this means they will keep Jimmy G for now, but only time will tell.
- CIN - Ja'Marr Chase Wr LSU at #5 - not a surprise for many, he has been targeted there by a ton of mock drafts. I see why...but still think Bengals will regret this with the O-line as it is. Lets see what they do next to address key areas like OL, DL and Lb
- DET - took Penei Sewel OT - and I LIKE this move. I am a firm believer you HAVE to have a real OL and real DL to win in this league. While they have to address Wr still as I believe Amendola may be a starter for them....you have to give Goff time to throw.
- CAR and DEN - for now, it seems they will live with the trades they made at Qb. Not a bad choice. Got key pieces to address other needs. I especially love the pick or Surtain for Denver. Horn for Carolina also fits well, but OT might have been a better choice with Slater there.
- PHI - made a trade with Dallas to get the Wr they desperately needed. Only giving up an extra third to move up 2 spots. I still wish Cb or Lb had been the choice. Oh well.
- NYG - did the unbelievable - they traded back - gaining an extra 5th this year, and 1st and 4th next year from Chicago. I like the draft capital, but if Fields works out for Chicago, that pick will be 25 or above so not sure of the value. Then grabbed a Wr in Toney from Florida. Meh move to me.
- Jets then move up to take OL help that was greatly needed. Nice move there.
- Then you have the Raiders - WTF? Leatherwood could be a solid ORT for them, but he could have been gotten 2nd round...seems like a Chucky panic move.
- TEN taking Farley again boom of bust. If he is healthy they got a steal. If he has issues they just blew their 2nd 1st round pick in a row.
- CHI - Calling out the great move here by Bears. Qb was a must, to save everyone's job, and they made the aggressive move to go up and snag Justin Fields. Bravo!
- GB ... looks like a HUGE game of chicken going on now. For now Aaron Rodgers wants to go out, but they say they won't trade him - did not accept any calls on Rodgers last night per some reports. Then they take the Cb in the first round and again ignore the Wr need. That won't go over well either.
- The only other real surprise to me was Etienne to Jacksonville. They have a solid no non-sense Rb in Robinson, and take the flashy Etienne. I know Urban likes to use multiple backs, but just think they had other needs. Only time will tell how that all works out.
I have been very down on the Bears off season and have been calling for Nagy / Pace firings. Cutting good players for cap reasons and keeping older, lesser and expensive players. It has been a sh!tshow. This move however was excellent. The waited until the 11th instead of losing their water and selling the farm for a top 5 trade and when Fields dropped, they made the aggressive move. 2 Firsts, a 4th and a 5th is not too bad. They still have their 2/3 this year and next.
Have to give them credit for this move despite countless blunders in the past.