2021/2022 coaching hot seats

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Cowboys DC Dan Quinn has told other teams he won't be leaving Dallas for a HC job. He has pulled his name out of the running for other jobs

Phicinfan

Administrator
Schefter of ESPN is reporting that Chicago has chosen former Colts DC Matt Eberflus as its new HC

Phicinfan

Administrator
Story our of Arizona has Trent Balke being removed as GM in Jacksonville and being replaced by Adrian Wilson - this is coming FROM Arizona reporter
Update - per reports HC pick of Leftwich stated its him or Balke, not both together....

Also Jacksonville just interviewed Vic Fangio as well for HC

Phicinfan

Administrator
AFC:
North:
Pittsburgh
- Safe - no GM or HC change, but does need new DC
Baltimore - Safe - HC and GM are good, and new DC also
Cincinnati - Safe - HC and snicker GM are safe
Browns - Safe - GM and HC are safe
East:
Patriots
- Bill Belichick is safe - but here McDaniels may be on the move to LVR
Buffalo - Safe
Miami - Gone - need new HC as they fired Flores
NY Jets - Safe
South:
Tennessee
- Safe
Indianapolis - Safe - but need new DC
Houston - Gone - fired Culley at HC
Jacksonville - Gone - per reports they are close to signing Leftwich - but he won't sign unless they also fire GM Balke
West:
Kansas City
- Safe
Los Angeles Chargers - Safe
Denver - Gone - hired GB OC Nathaniel Hackett
Las Vegas - Gone - hearing many rumors, no hire as of yet. Need GM as well.

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFC:
North:
Green Bay
- Safe - need new OC
Minnesota - Gone - fired HC and GM - hired new GM - Kwesi Adofo-Mensah from Cleveland organization.
Chicago - Gone, GM Gone - new GM - Ryan Poles from KC organization, new HC is Matt Eberflus former DC for Indy
Detroit - Safe
East:
Dallas
- Safe - kept both HC and DC, may lose OC to new coaching job
Washington - Safe
Philadelphia - Safe
New York Giants - GM and HC fired - New GM is Joe Schoen from Buffalo, and new HC is still up for grabs
South:
Tampa Bay
- Safe
New Orleans - Gone - Sean Payton stepped down
Atlanta - Safe
Carolina - Safe
West:
Arizona
- Safe
Los Angeles Rams - Safe
San Francisco - Safe
Seattle - Safe - may need new Qb though...

Phicinfan

Administrator
Reports out Raiders getting Dave Ziegler as GM from Patriots

Some feel this means Josh McDaniels as next HC

hikeNbike

I feel like Sean Peyton is likely the next head coach of the Cowboys. I don't think he coaches next year but he is 58 and probably comes back after a year off. I think that's why MCCarthy got the vote of confidence for next year for the Cowboys. Because generally you don't hire a new coach and give him one year. McCarthy is basically on notice get at least to the NFC championship next year or get replaced.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I feel like Sean Peyton is likely the next head coach of the Cowboys. I don't think he coaches next year but he is 58 and probably comes back after a year off. I think that's why MCCarthy got the vote of confidence for next year for the Cowboys. Because generally you don't hire a new coach and give him one year. McCarthy is basically on notice get at least to the NFC championship next year or get replaced.
McCarthy is gone if no superbowl, Quinn or Payton will be next. But they will have to trade to get Payton

hikeNbike

How long is Payton's contract if he sits out next year is he still under contract? Not sure how this works for sure, but I was thinking that since he stepped away on his own he won't be paid by the Saints, so if he isn't getting paid, he becomes a free agent right?

hikeNbike

Saints would get the pick and trade coaches.

Seriously though assuming Payton is still under contract even after sitting out a year, how many first-round picks do you think it takes, if Payton isn't coming back to New Orleans anyway. 2 first rounders or a first and two seconds maybe? and of course, dropping Mccarthy from the conversation.

Phicinfan

Administrator

Seriously though assuming Payton is still under contract even after sitting out a year, how many first-round picks do you think it takes, if Payton isn't coming back to New Orleans anyway. 2 first rounders or a first and two seconds maybe? and of course, dropping Mccarthy from the conversation.
I need to dig through and see what Tampa traded to get John Gruden, that would be the baseline. If I am the Saints, I don’t let Payton go to another NFC team

Phicinfan

Administrator

Tampa Bay had to send 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks and $8 million in cash to get Gruden. That is a stiff price, and I would assume Saints would require at least as much to go to another NFC team.

Edit to add, there have been 5 HC's traded in the NFL, none with as high a cost, but with the market now set by the Gruden deal, it would probably be something like that.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Also, double checked, Payton had 3 years left on his last deal, and if Saints maintain control, they can until after 2024.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Chicago - Bears higher former QB coach with GB Luke Getsy as their new OC
Raiders - per reports Dave Ziegler formerly with New England has agreed to be new GM, and reports say they are negotiating now with Josh McDaniels to be the new HC

Last edited: