2021/2022 coaching hot seats

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Lets take a look and who may or may not be gone post the 2021 season.....

AFC:
North:
Pittsburgh
- This could be his first losing season, but I think Mike Tomlin will be back
Baltimore - Ravens have been inconsistent, but John Harbaugh is safe
Cincinnati - Zac Taylor has them almost in playoffs - safe
Browns - Kevin Stefanski is safe, even if they have very tough decisions coming
East:
Patriots
- Bill Belichick will stay as long as he wants...
Buffalo - Sean McDermott is safe IMO, even if Bills miss playoffs, but OC may be on his way out if he does not learn to run the damn ball
Miami - Brian Flores - earlier I would have said he is on his way out, team was awful and the whole QB thing was bad, but I think Flores is safe
NY Jets - Robert Salah has got to be disappointed, but its his first year and team has won some. He is safe
South:
Tennessee
- Mike Vrabel - I am starting to wonder if the seat is getting warm here. Team just can't seem to win big games. But he may have one more year
Indianapolis - Frank Reich may be the best move Indy has made, he has made Wentz relevant, and the pick of Jonathan Taylor makes their team go, just need Wrs
Houston - David Culley is an interesting situation, he has had to sit on Deshaun Watson all season, but team plays hard. I think he is safe for another year.
Jacksonville - Urban Meyer - has been fired, OC Bevell is interim. Look for a more solid experienced coach next year
West:
Kansas City
- Andy Reid - safe, team could go all the way
Los Angeles Chargers - Brandon Staley - I think he is safe, but he needs to stop going for 4th down all the time
Denver - Vic Fangio - I think he is at risk. With all the talent on that team, and not to play better puts him at risk. I wonder if he gets one more year if they can get a real Qb there.
Las Vegas - Jon Gruden - Fired - interim is Rich Bisaccia - Don't think this will stay with Bisaccia, so look for big name HC

NFC:
North:
Green Bay
- Matt LaFluer is safe, for all the issues with Rodgers and such, team is solid and keeps winning
Minnesota - Mike Zimmer - I am a HUGE Mike Zimmer fan, but a HC from DC that has a lousy defense isn't safe. Vikings may move on here
Chicago - Matt Nagy - he is a goner, I don't care what Bears do rest of season, too much flux and issues and Nagy needs a new scene
Detroit - Dan Campbell - as bad as the Lions are, they are almost always competitive, I think he is safe for now.
East:
Dallas
- Mike McCarthy - They have to win on playoffs, maybe not Super Bowl, but they need to go far or there may be a change
Washington - Ron Rivera - is safe, and is making that a legit team. I think they still need a real Qb
Philadelphia - Nick Sirianni - Earlier I would have said a goner, but he has revived the running game, and made Hurts relevant. Safe
New York Giants - Joe Judge - Gut says to me Judge and GM are gone - just too much work that needs to be done
South:
Tampa Bay
- Bruce Arians - is safe
New Orleans - Sean Payton is safe - but they NEED a Qb
Atlanta - Arthur Smith - he was hamstrung by cap, and by Qb making too much money, but they are viable so he is safe
Carolina - Matt Ruhle - He lost his best player again this year, and Sam Darnold isn't the answer, and neither is any Qb in this draft IMO. Hot, Hot, Hot seat here...
West:
Arizona
- Kliff Kingsbury is safe
Los Angeles Rams - Sean McVay - he got QB he wanted, and is in the running. But I think the seat is getting warm here...
San Francisco - Kyle Shanahan - if it wasn't for the late season improvement, would have bet he was gone. He needs to settle Qb and get a Rb that can stay healthy
Seattle - HOT< HOT< HOT - I think this may come down to Pete Carroll vs. Russel Wilson - not sure who wins here

Phicinfan

Administrator
Time to update....
AFC:
North:
Pittsburgh
- Safe
Baltimore - Safe
Cincinnati - Safe - 1st division title in a while
Browns - Safe - but maybe bye to Mayfield?
East:
Patriots
- Seriously - safe
Buffalo - Safe
Miami - Safe - late season turn around did it - but Tua....adios?
NY Jets - Safe - but not much longer with some bad O calls...
South:
Tennessee
- Safe - Vrabel might be coach of the year here...
Indianapolis - Safe
Houston - Gets one more year - Safe
Jacksonville - Urban Meyer - has been fired, OC Bevell is interim. Look for a more solid experienced coach next year
West:
Kansas City
- Safe
Los Angeles Chargers - Safe
Denver - Vic Fangio is on thin ice, I think he may be gone
Las Vegas - Jon Gruden - Fired - interim is Rich Bisaccia - Don't think this will stay with Bisaccia, so look for big name HC

All in all AFC looks like only 3 changes - unless there is some big surprise.

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFC update:
NFC:
North:
Green Bay
- Safe
Minnesota - Mike Zimmer is also on thin ice, I think he may be a goner as well
Chicago - Matt Nagy - Gone - book it Danno!
Detroit - believe it or not, I think Safe
East:
Dallas
- Safe - unless they get totally blown out in first round of playoffs
Washington - Safe
Philadelphia - Safe
New York Giants - GM is a goner, and reports say he is safe, but ice is so thin its practically paper!
South:
Tampa Bay
- Safe
New Orleans - Safe
Atlanta - Safe for a year maybe...
Carolina - This seat is HOT, HOT, HOT!
West:
Arizona
- Safe
Los Angeles Rams - Safe
San Francisco - Safe - just don't feel a change here...
Seattle - HOT< HOT< HOT - I think this may come down to Pete Carroll vs. Russel Wilson - not sure who wins here

So, assuming I am right on some hot seats, Bears will get new HC, and maybe 2 other teams. Seattle may be the most fun to watch this off-season for coaching.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Denver firing Vic Fangio
Detroit releasing OC Anthony Lynn

Phicinfan

Administrator
Rumors flying Mike Zimmer may be gone
Seattle will be interesting - the buyouts for Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider are HUGE
Houston leaning toward keeping Culley
Carolina - some reports think Rhule may be let go...

Phicinfan

Administrator
Minnesota has officially fired HC Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Spielman

Phicinfan

Administrator
Matt Nagy officially fired by Bears
Edit to add - fired GM Ryan Pace as well

Last edited:

KillerFins

Staff member
First surprise firing - Brian Flores of Miami is out
Surprised! But sounds like it had to do with personality issues. He’s a pretty blunt guy and sounds like he rubbed some the wrong way. It took them awhile to hit their stride on defense, but they were playing well. That has also been the Knick on him, all theee years they got off to slow starts and unable to dig themselves out of big holes. Very glad to hear Harbaugh isn’t the reason as Ross is a huge Michigan guy.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Giants have announced GM Dave Gettleman has retired(just before being fired...).

Phicinfan

Administrator
No big surprise - Chicago has already requested to interview Brian Flores - that would be a very good hire in Chicago, especially if they get a great OC that can develop Fields

efactor

Coming at you
Told ya all
I don't think you needed to be clairvoyant to see that one coming ;)

Giants are a hot mess. I hope they make the right call on their next coach for the sake of making them even a somewhat fun team to watch. I know they are interviewing Flores, but they need to hire an offensive minded head coach, especially if they are going to give Jones another year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I am beginning to wonder if the age of an offensive coach to be HC trend is changing, I am seeing a whole lot of teams interviewing more and more DCs or former DCs.....

efactor

Coming at you
I am beginning to wonder if the age of an offensive coach to be HC trend is changing, I am seeing a whole lot of teams interviewing more and more DCs or former DCs.....
Could be why they are interviewing new coaches in the first place

Having an offensive head coach means that you maintain offensive continuity when your OC gets a promotion to head coach. It just seems easier to bring in a new defensive coordinator than an offensive one.

Defensive coaches who have had consistent success like Belichick and Tomlin had the advantage of experienced, HOF type QBs and the Pats have had McDaniels around forever.