2019 NFL Head Coach and possibly GM hot seats

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
We have already had one casualty here, with the firing of Jay Gruden in Washington, but me thinks this is not the last move coming....

AFC East -
New England - Bill Belichick - undefeated, but showing some kinks in their armor, Bellicheck will leave on his own terms, I don't see him ever getting fired. That being said, no one can state how long his deal is for.
Buffalo - Sean McDermott - 4-1 who would have thought it, no issues here
NY Jets - Adam Gase - another big win would probably make Gase feel much more safe
Miami - Brian Flores - I see no move here, he is first year, and he is basically been given crap to work with. My fear here is, he is just a seat holder til they get talent in place.

AFC North -
Pittsburgh - Mike Tomlin - This is really interesting. At 2-4 and all the major player issues you would think Mike Tomlin would be in danger. I have heard rumors of his name in a few other spots though.... but yes - this seat is warm in my opinion.
Baltimore - John Harbaugh - I would say at start of season he would be a risk, but his team is playing well, and he is taking full advantage of what his young Qb has to offer
Cincinnati - Zac Taylor - again first year, and Mike Brown loathes making moves this quickly so I will say safe here.
Cleveland - Freddie Kitchens - For now, I will say he is a slight risk, he has not handled the team well, and he needs to let the OC get the offense running.

AFC South -
Houston - Bill O'Brien - Hot seat here, Houston went all in, and just making the playoffs isn't enough IMO. If they don't get to title game he is a goner IMO. Add to that he forced his way in a GM as well, and that adds to the risk
Indianapolis - Frank Reich - Solid work here, keeping this team in the hunt after the body blow they took with Luck leaving!
Jacksonville - Doug Marrone - Goner, if this team does not turn around he is gone IMO.
Tennessee - Mike Vrabel - I am going to say the seat is warm here. He has been hamstrung by his Qb Mariota, and his delay to move to Tannehill til now will be a driver. But I think he last another year unless they fall way out of contention.

AFC West -
Kansas City - Andy Reid - Safe but if he does not get this team to super bowl soon, he may be out. Too much talent on one side of ball.
Oakland - Jon Gruden - Safe, like him or not, he has done well turning this team over and winning some games
Denver - Vic Fangio - GM Elway - I think Vic is safe, he needs time to get rid of the high priced vets and rebuild. However, I think Elway is a goner, if for no other reason than he still has not proven to have found the long term Qb solution.
LA Chargers - Anthony Lynn - GM Telesco - Going to say its a bit warm here. I think he is safe, but he needs to find how to win and not rely on Rivers. They have to put money into the O-line and they seem loath to do that. This may be more a GM issue than a HC issue.

NFC East -
Dallas - Jason Garrett - if you believe the Jones, he is totally safe. I don't believe it, and had Sean Payton not extended, Garrett would be gone IMO.
Philadelphia - Doug Pederson - safe for now, but he needs to repeat his success from his rookie year. He has the Qb, he has the O-line, and Rb and Wr and TE. Fix that Def. and you have a winner.
NY Giants - Pat Shurmur - Safe for now. They will let him guide the young Qb for now.
Washington - Jay Gruden is gone - Bill Callahan - I think he is gone at end of season, and they will hunt for a big name to put in here.

NFC North -
Green Bay - Matt LaFluer - he won the battle with Rodgers, so points for him.
Minnesota - Mike Zimmer - he is safe, he needs to rebuild the Def. and fix the Qb...Yikes
Chicago - Matt Nagy - he is safe for now, but is he tied to Trubisky? If so his stay may be in danger.
Detroit - Matt Patricia - he has turned this team around and they are very competitive again.

NFC South -
New Orleans - Sean Payton - Safe, has this team clicking even with Bridgewater at Qb.
Carolina - Ron Rivera - For now I will say safe, but he needs to get this team over the hump. Quickly.
Tampa Bay - Bruce Arians - he is an offensive side coach, but defense has shown the most improvement. Still he is safe
Atlanta - Dan Quinn - he is gone IMO. He has not gotten what he needs from this team, and its all on him. Offense is scoring, but defense sucks and he is a defensive coach.

NFC West -
San Francisco - Kyle Shanahan - he is undefeated, you can't get much better than that. But he needs to get more out of the offense.
Seattle - Pete Carroll - he is safe, he keeps being saved by his Qb and some other players.
LA Rams - Sean McVay - Safe, but his armor has some gaps in it now. Team is not looking good for what they have spent.
Arizona - Kliff Kingsbury - safe for now, he is getting a lot from Murray, but he needs time to turn over the roster more.

these are just my opinion, but I am feeling really secure on these. Feel free to give your opinions...and we will check every few weeks to see what has changed

Phicinfan

Administrator
Time to update

AFC East -
New England - Bill Belichick - I have to move this back to green per JScott. But I wonder how much longer he wants to go. My gut says he wants a year or so without Brady to prove he is what he is.
Buffalo - Sean McDermott - 9-4 and still improving
NY Jets - Adam Gase - Bad year for Jets, but think Gase is safe THIS year.
Miami - Brian Flores - He is showing some signs of life and they have a ton of draft capital to fix issues.

AFC North -
Pittsburgh - Mike Tomlin - As much as I dislike Tomlin, you can't argue with what he is doing with that team on their 3rd Qb and 3rd Rb tandem.
Baltimore - John Harbaugh - New OC is showing how to use a running Qb. Defense is also solid.
Cleveland - Freddie Kitchens - I wonder if he is safe. I think he has to get to at least 0.500 this year.
Cincinnati - Zac Taylor - the team is awful, and they botched the Qb situation. In line for #1 pick. I would trade down, but I bet they don't. Still I think he gets one more year.

AFC South -
Houston - Bill O'Brien - Hot seat here, Still hot. If they don't make the playoffs, or even if they do and leave early, I think he is a goner.
Indianapolis - Frank Reich - Team is starting to fold some but injuries have killed this team.
Jacksonville - Doug Marrone - He's gone. Book it.
Tennessee - Mike Vrabel - I think he saved his job by moving to Tannehill at Qb. We will see

AFC West -
Kansas City - Andy Reid - Safe
Oakland - Jon Gruden - Safe
Denver - Vic Fangio - GM Elway - I think Vic is safe, Elway MAY be safe as Lock is showing out right now.
LA Chargers - Anthony Lynn - GM Telesco - This is still a hot seat. With the talent they have they should be better. But Rivers is going over a cliff, and the defense can't stay healthy.

NFC East -
Dallas - Jason Garrett - this is simple to me. Make the playoffs and win a game and he is safe. Don't and he is gone.
Philadelphia - Doug Pederson - safe
NY Giants - Pat Shurmur - Meh..., Giants GM says they will look things over post season. Might be a new HC here soon.
Washington - Jay Gruden is gone - Bill Callahan - They will change here, I wonder if they go after Rivera?

NFC North -
Green Bay - Matt LaFluer - Safe
Minnesota - Mike Zimmer - Safe
Chicago - Matt Nagy - he is safe for now
Detroit - Matt Patricia - Meh, injuries have hurt team, but not seeing real improvement here

NFC South -
New Orleans - Sean Payton - Safe
Carolina - Ron Rivera - Rivera is gone. So who will be next? One rumor has former Packers HC coming here.
Tampa Bay - Bruce Arians - Safe but he HAS to address that awful defense and Qb situation.
Atlanta - Dan Quinn - he is gone IMO.

NFC West -
San Francisco - Kyle Shanahan - Safe
Seattle - Pete Carroll - Safe
LA Rams - Sean McVay - Safe
Arizona - Kliff Kingsbury - Safe

2 HC already fired, both teams still looking for long term HC. My gut says 4 more are gone.

cctekguy

Staff member
Dallas - Jason Garrett - if you believe the Jones, he is totally safe. I don't believe it, and had Sean Payton not extended, Garrett would be gone IMO.

Jerry Jones' ego couldn't handle Sean Payton.

Jason Garrett was the perfect coach for Jerry. A sniffling, spineless yes man that let Jerry coach the team and took the heat when Jerry failed.

I don't think any coach worth his salt would work for Jerry Jones.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Jerry Jones' ego couldn't handle Sean Payton.

Jason Garrett was the perfect coach for Jerry. A sniffling, spineless yes man that let Jerry coach the team and took the heat when Jerry failed.

I don't think any coach worth his salt would work for Jerry Jones.
Don't disagree, however he cannot maintain the status quo. He has to make a change if they don't make the playoffs.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Per reports - Atlanta is keeping Dan Quinn as HC and Dimitroff as GM this year

Phicinfan

Administrator
Time to update

AFC East -
New England - Bill Belichick - Safe - unless he retires
Buffalo - Sean McDermott - safe
NY Jets - Adam Gase - Still not sure here
Miami - Brian Flores - He is going to get the shot to work with all the draft picks they have. Like them or not, they have been playing hard.

AFC North -
Pittsburgh - Mike Tomlin - Safe
Baltimore - John Harbaugh - Safe
Cleveland - Freddie Kitchens - I wonder if he is safe. I think he has to get to at least 0.500 this year.
Cincinnati - Zac Taylor - Safe - Mike Brown doesn't make quick changes, and he will let Zac play with his #1 pick coming in 2020

AFC South -
Houston - Bill O'Brien - Hot seat here, Still hot. I think he needs to go deep in playoffs
Indianapolis - Frank Reich - Safe
Jacksonville - Doug Marrone - I am thinking he is gone
Tennessee - Mike Vrabel - Safe - saved his job moving to Tannehill

AFC West -
Denver - Vic Fangio - GM Elway - Vic is safe - Elway still not sure
LA Chargers - Anthony Lynn - GM Telesco - Still think this is on simmer. I believe Rivers will be gone or one year deal and they will draft QB of future

NFC East -
Dallas - Jason Garrett - I can't see them keeping Garrett if they don't make playoffs
NY Giants - Pat Shurmur - 50/50 here
Washington - Jay Gruden is gone - Bill Callahan - New HC, but GM as well maybe. Callahan has team playing hard. But I think big name coach is chosen

NFC North -
Chicago - Matt Nagy - Safe
Detroit - Matt Patricia - Safe - owner says she is keeping him

NFC South -
Carolina - Ron Rivera - Rivera is gone. So who will be next? One rumor has former Packers HC coming here. Look for rumors of Baylor HC coming.
Tampa Bay - Bruce Arians - Safe
Atlanta - Dan Quinn - Safe - owner just locked it

NFC West -

This could be a very stable year...but we may get a surprise or two, we usually have 5-7 HC changes each year I believe

Phicinfan

Administrator
Per reports Bruce Allen is out in Washington, by early next week, further reports have him going to Rams as a consultant.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Last update???

AFC East -
NY Jets - Adam Gase - ?????
Miami - Brian Flores - Safe and hired vet OC in Chan Gailey

AFC North -
Cleveland - Freddie Kitchens - Gone, and not surprised really
Cincinnati - Zac Taylor - Safe

AFC South -
Houston - Bill O'Brien - Hot seat here, Still hot. I think he needs to go deep in playoffs
Jacksonville - Doug Marrone - He and GM get one more year - hot seet 2021 already started!!!
Tennessee - Mike Vrabel - Safe

AFC West -
Denver - Vic Fangio - Safe
LA Chargers - Anthony Lynn - GM Telesco -TBD

NFC East -
Dallas - Jason Garrett - TBD - nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, Heeeey hey Goodbye - just saying ;)
NY Giants - Pat Shurmur - Gone - this surprised me some
Washington - Jay Gruden is gone - Bill Callahan - Ron Rivera - New HC is picked

NFC North -
Chicago - Matt Nagy - Safe
Detroit - Matt Patricia - Safe - owner says she is keeping him

NFC South -
Carolina - Ron Rivera - Rivera is gone. Who will be next - TBD
Tampa Bay - Bruce Arians - Safe
Atlanta - Dan Quinn - Safe - owner just locked it

NFC West -

4 HC jobs are changing - 4 are still up in the air. Although Gase may be safe.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Should be last update.....

AFC East -
NY Jets - Adam Gase - ?????
Miami - Brian Flores - Safe and hired vet OC in Chan Gailey

AFC North -
Cleveland - Freddie Kitchens - Gone, and not surprised really
Cincinnati - Zac Taylor - Safe

AFC South -
Jacksonville - Doug Marrone - He and GM get one more year - hot seet 2021 already started!!!
Tennessee - Mike Vrabel - Safe

AFC West -
Denver - Vic Fangio - Safe
LA Chargers - Anthony Lynn - GM Telesco - staying put

NFC East -
Dallas - Jason Garrett - Per multiple reports he is gone
NY Giants - Pat Shurmur - Gone - this surprised me some
Washington - Jay Gruden is gone - Bill Callahan - Ron Rivera - New HC is picked

NFC North -