Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Tennessee is on the clock.

Needs: Qb(dire), OL, ILB

other needs - OLB, S, DT

Phicinfan

Administrator
To me, this is a no-brainer. They HAVE to get a Qb, and I think Gabbert would be super here, with C.J. running the ball like crazy.

bobbeaux

i'll probably be in the minority on this one, but i don't see gabbert as a francise qb . . . and not worthy of an early 1st pick, if in the 1st at all . . . and with the plan to release qb young and collins a fa, they do have needs at qb, but gabbert isn't ready to start and shouldn't be drafted that way . . . i expect collins will be back and/or another fa will be added to this team . . . chris simms and rusty smith are also on the roster.

and the titans DL is in need of rebuilding as they have been barely getting by with unknowns since haynesworth left . . . they drafted derrick morgan last year and jason babin (fa) had his 1st good year, but is now a free agent expecting a huge payday although he may be a 1 yr wonder . . . 3 other DL's are also fa's with only 1 being tendered . . . i don't see how they could pass on quinn here.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I agree with PhiCin in that the need at QB is too strong for them to pass on Gabbert though I think Bobbeaux is correct in that he isn't a franchise QB at all. Still Gabbert will be the pick.

JScott

Administrator
I agree with bobbeaux's assessment. Munchak will have a grace period at HC to get some of his players in place. There are NO franchise QBs in this draft imho. If there were one they wouldn't fall to 8th. But getting after the QB in this division is key with the likes of Manning and Schaub. I'd go Quinn and look for a QB later, maybe in the 2nd, to develop behind Collins (if they sign him back) or some other vet in 2011.

bobbeaux

I agree with bobbeaux's assessment. Munchak will have a grace period at HC to get some of his players in place. There are NO franchise QBs in this draft imho. If there were one they wouldn't fall to 8th. But getting after the QB in this division is key with the likes of Manning and Schaub. I'd go Quinn and look for a QB later, maybe in the 2nd, to develop behind Collins (if they sign him back) or some other vet in 2011.

i could definitely see them taking a qb in the 2nd or 3rd, but not the 1st . . . ;)

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay, understand we all thought Luck walked on water. But by most accounts Gabbert was #2 for most of this season. So i wonder why most feel he is suddenly a piece of crud?

I happen to think, in the right system, that is run dominated, with his mobility, he could do at least as good as Young.

bobbeaux

Okay, understand we all thought Luck walked on water. But by most accounts Gabbert was #2 for most of this season. So i wonder why most feel he is suddenly a piece of crud?

I happen to think, in the right system, that is run dominated, with his mobility, he could do at least as good as Young.

at least as good as he was projected to do or actually did? . . . this appears to be a boom or bust qb class with many thinking more will bust than boom . . . i wouldn't necessarily say gabbert is a piece of crud, but i don't see him as a franchise qb . . . being #2 to luck doesn't make him a top ten pick just because of his ranking . . . especially when there are better players at positions of need.

Phicinfan

Administrator
at least as good as he was projected to do or actually did? . . . this appears to be a boom or bust qb class with many thinking more will bust than boom . . . i wouldn't necessarily say gabbert is a piece of crud, but i don't see him as a franchise qb . . . being #2 to luck doesn't make him a top ten pick just because of his ranking . . . especially when there are better players at positions of need.

Sounds like what was said about Rodgers and Roethlisberger. They fell to late in first round, and look at them now.

I am not saying Gabbert is the end all. however, he can make all the pro throws, he can move around and escape in the pocket, he has pro size...and a strong arm. Buffalo, or some other team with an elderly established Qb would be the best fit, to give him a year or so to mature. But a team like Tennesee that thrives on the running game and passes to the backs and Tes is just as good. Especially if Collins can be re-signed.

Fire

in the hole
Good discussion on this one. I think Quinn would be the better (safer) pick, but if Gabbert is here I think they take him (if he has a good Pro Day).

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
To answer Phic's question, just because Gabbert was #2 most of the year to Luck dont mean Gabbert wasnt a crappy #2.

Still, they need a QB. He is the pick.

bobbeaux

I'm not going to say I like or believe in Gabbert, but they have to take him here.

starting to give in and lean more towards the crowd . . . with a new regime including Palmer in Tenn, Gabbert could very well be the pick . . . i do believe they will select a qb in this draft, just not so sure it's in the 1st round . . . depends on how Tenn grades what's available and how coachable the prospects are.