1st dynasty draft

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
My 1st dynasty rookie draft (Amended)

This is my 1st dynasty (Rookie Draft) in May. I have 6 picks ( 1.5, 1.9 - 2.5 - 3.5, 3.6 ,3.11)
My question is should i draft by order of my team needs, or go with the best player available even if not a team need for the 1st round only?? :headscratch:

Last edited by a moderator:

dukdown

Banned
You gotta weigh it as it comes to you, but I'd try to package 1.5 and 1.9 and see if you can get into one of the top 3 picks. Hindsight will always be 20/20, but I think you've got 3 elite players in this draft, and then some good players. As it stands, without seeing your team, 1.05 to me is between Donald Brown and LeSean McCoy. I'm guessing Brown goes 4, and that leaves you with McCoy. At 1.09, ideally Hakeem Nicks falls to you.

Here's how I would mock it.

1.01 Chris Wells
1.02 Knowshon Moreno
1.03 Michael Crabtree
1.04 Donald Brown
1.05 LeSean McCoy
1.06 Jeremy Maclin
1.07 Darrius Heyward-Bey
1.08 Shonn Greene

That would leave you with a pretty nice haul of McCoy and Nicks.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
You gotta weigh it as it comes to you, but I'd try to package 1.5 and 1.9 and see if you can get into one of the top 3 picks. Hindsight will always be 20/20, but I think you've got 3 elite players in this draft, and then some good players. As it stands, without seeing your team, 1.05 to me is between Donald Brown and LeSean McCoy. I'm guessing Brown goes 4, and that leaves you with McCoy. At 1.09, ideally Hakeem Nicks falls to you.

Here's how I would mock it.

1.01 Chris Wells
1.02 Knowshon Moreno
1.03 Michael Crabtree
1.04 Donald Brown
1.05 LeSean McCoy
1.06 Jeremy Maclin
1.07 Darrius Heyward-Bey
1.08 Shonn Greene

That would leave you with a pretty nice haul of McCoy and Nicks.
Thanks dukdown.

always down with Duks advice.

is this the beginning of the league? so like, nobody has any players yet? if you already have drafted, the picks may fall somewhat different based on team needs.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
always down with Duks advice.

is this the beginning of the league? so like, nobody has any players yet? if you already have drafted, the picks may fall somewhat different based on team needs.
2009 is the 2nd year for the league. I took over a team that was abandoned and am in the process of cleaning house of some worthless players.
I have been advised from Coachnorm that dukdown is the FF guru.

Arctic Dawgs

2009 is the 2nd year for the league. I took over a team that was abandoned and am in the process of cleaning house of some worthless players.
I have been advised from Coachnorm that dukdown is the FF guru.

Who are your existing core players and how many teams are in the league ??

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
Who are your existing core players and how many teams are in the league ??
Its a 12 team league with 28 players per team. My core players: QBs:(only two) D.Mcnabb, T.Edwards. RBs: MBIII, B.Jacobs, J.Lewis, De'shaun Foster, S.Morris. WRs: S.Moss, S.Breaston, B.Engram, S.Smith(NY)
TE: J.Carlson, T.Heap, B.Miller

JScott

Administrator
Spinoff: Rookie draft thoughts, where do QBs rank?

go moreno and get your QB at 1.4
so hard to tell what is going to happen.

McCoy in Philly in another year or two. Kids got skillz

this crop of RB's looks alot like the crop of Cadillac, Brown, Benson et.al. so not a knock on mills in any way.

with a few exceptions, an RB can not be fished from the WW. QB's can for sure. WR's can be found, too.

RLLD

In a dynasty league a QB is worth more than gold. You go QB if you can nab the best one, the one with the most NFL potential etc. Then, if you can you nab the best WR possible.

If you pass on RB that is ok, you see you will have access to host of new RB's next year. RB's tend to have a greater preponderance to start early, to provide production and impact. You draft even a top notch QB or WR and you likely still have a season or three before they manifest.

Long story short, you can almost always get decent RB talent every year, and get some decent fill-in from your pick. Getting a truly solid and meaningful QB or WR means getting access to the best that draft has to offer, then hope.....

Remote Controller

Interesting take, but I still feel it is all about the backs, and they have the shortest NFL stud careers. Also, a top 10 back can get you a top 5 qb in a trade. (dependent on scoring system of course) A top 10 back can get you all but 2 or 3 wideouts at any given time. Keeping a good stable of backs is the key to Dynasty dominance. The other positions can be bought!

dukdown

Banned
Ya, getting a chance at rolling the dice and getting an elite back is worth more than taking a rookie QB who will probably need time to develop into anything decent. A rookie RB can not only contribute right away, but getting a RB that develops into an elite back, can dominate a league. Unfortunately, no back, no player really fell into a must have spot this year, at least on paper.

Remote Controller

Ya, getting a chance at rolling the dice and getting an elite back is worth more than taking a rookie QB who will probably need time to develop into anything decent. A rookie RB can not only contribute right away, but getting a RB that develops into an elite back, can dominate a league. Unfortunately, no back, no player really fell into a must have spot this year, at least on paper.
I aways have to think about that back that really comes out of no where to become a stud. TD comes to mind. It can never hurt to grab a handful of backs every year, just in case you get that years Westbrook (Chris Johnson), or this years Portis (Forte). Well it might be hard to understand the way I just put it, but I understand me. :blush: