1st 2010 NFL Mock Discussion Thread

efactor

Coming at you
Yes, very good pick with Wooten. Was my choice if Ducasse would have been off the board and only because SF needs more OL help than DL help. That said, he'll never drop that far in the real draft...........

Remote Controller

Here's some information on Wootton from nfldraftscout:

Intriguing prospect that can give the Bengals much need depth and skill on the DL.

Pass rush: Uses his 6-7 frame, long arms and good quickness to blow by collegiate right tackles on the outside. Can be violent with his hands to get the corner. Some suddenness on shake move to use an inside rush lane. If his man doesn't sustain, Wootton works his way back into the pocket to harass the quarterback. Lines up at tackle in third-down situations to use his quickness against interior linemen. Drops into zone coverage occasionally, and looks smooth moving down the line to cover tight ends in the flat. Athletic enough to have made four picks in his career. Uses his height to affect passing lanes when unable to reach the quarterback.
Run defense: Looks and plays a bit undersized, even at 265-270 pounds, because of height. Stays home to prevent against big misdirection plays, and keeps outside leverage to funnel backs inside to the linebackers. High cut, as you would expect at 6-7, and doesn't sink his hips for smooth lateral movement. However, he has the length and speed to chase down receivers and backs from behind if needed. Must use his hands more effectively to keep backs from cutting him - but manages to recover fairly quickly. Doesn't always chase down plays to his side, even when he has a chance at the tackle.
Explosion: Very quick off the snap for his size, partially because his long steps make up ground quickly. Could be a penetrating disruptor as a pass rusher in a 3-4 scheme because of his initial quickness. Doesn't show enough pop, however, to knock back NFL-caliber tackles on bull rushes or against the run.
Strength: Plays tall on the edge, but seems to keep leverage on run plays when lined straight-up. Only has average upper- and lower-body strength, which prevents him from bull rushing effectively or disengaging to make plays against the run. Gets carried out of the play or put to the ground when slanting or twisting.
Tackling: Uses his length to chase and drag down ballcarriers. Good burst to the ball when it is in his sights. Doesn't blow up runners in space because of his inability to drop and bring his hips. Pocket passers have no chance when he's coming after them, but he will miss elusive runners because he glances off their shoulder pads.
Intangibles: Team Most Valuable Player in 2008 was a locker room and on-field leader on defense again as a senior. Coaches like his work ethic, especially during his recent injury rehabilitation. NFL Comparison: Mathias Kiwanuka, Giants

Remote Controller

Thanks for the pm Sarge. I have been waiting to pick, and for some reason the selection thread was not queued up as having a recent post.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Sarge, after this round is finished remind me to ask you something about your Zac Robinson to Buffalo pick. It involves a different QB that's available that I like WAY better than Robinson so if he comes off the board I'll address it then.

...And you just took the guy I was referring to. (LeFevour) LOL!

NCAA career TD leader who early on was a dual-threat guy and gradually molded himself into a more pro-style passer. Very athletic, big dude and I'll give you Aaron Rodgers as a pro comparison. If this kid is groomed to be a starter, he'll chip in 3+ rushing TD's per year like Rodgers does.

He's my #4 QB prospect behind Clausen, Bradford, and Pike.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Went Cb for philly here. Bit of a homer pick in that I am an OSU grad and Spievey is a big ten alum as well. But kid is tough and can handle man to man...which philly runs alot. Needed depth as not sure what philly will do with sheldon Brown and Hobbs.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
...And you just took the guy I was referring to. (LeFevour) LOL!

NCAA career TD leader who early on was a dual-threat guy and gradually molded himself into a more pro-style passer. Very athletic, big dude and I'll give you Aaron Rodgers as a pro comparison. If this kid is groomed to be a starter, he'll chip in 3+ rushing TD's per year like Rodgers does.

He's my #4 QB prospect behind Clausen, Bradford, and Pike.

And he's 2-7 vs BCS competition. He has put up fantastic numbers against marginal teams in the MAC. Im not saying he wont be a good QB, or that I wont be looking at him come rookie draft day, but Im not sold.

Robinson has seen more BCS defenses in a season than LeFevour did in his career. Chan Gailey is an excellent groomer of QBs, and I think Robinson has a much higher ceiling for development. Robinson also had to overcome some adversity and issues at OSU with the whole Im a man Gundy bs.

I took the QB I felt would be best suited to what the Bills need.

I didnt take LeFevour for Oakland, that was MNJHNSN's predraft. LeFevour fits Oakland. He'll need to be ready to throw deep balls to a guy who wont catch them and run for his damn life :)

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
We didnt skip him. DD is in a massive hurry to get this done for some reason so he chose to post his pick early.

Im giving Mutts the time to make the choice and then Ill make it. If you want you can PM me your pick and Ill throw it up with his.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Mutts is obviously employing the old-school Minnesota tactic of skipping his pick to avoid paying that late 3rd round signing bonus money..

I know full well that Kiper isn't exactly highly regarded by many in this forum, but he mentioned yesterday that LeFevour may end up being the 3rd QB off the board behind Clausen and Bradford, if Jax doesn't take Tebow, that is. Your argument is valid regarding his record vs. BCS schools, but couldn't that be more of an indictment about the depth of talent on his entire team? Robinson is a fine QB, I'm not saying that, but the big-12 isn't exactly known for having staunch defenses over the past few seasons, either. Plus he looked alot more mediocre without Bryant. LeFevour could end up following in Ben's footsteps... or Charlie Frye's. We'll see.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Good pick n0rm. If he's recovered from the foot he's a likely opening day starter.
Posted via Mobile Device