Eric Bieniemy rant

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I spent the weekend hearing ESPN do nothing but rant and complain how the NFL is being racist vs. Eric Bieniemy. No proof other than he has had 15 or so interviews for HC and never got one.

However, lets look at the reality. Bieniemy has been OC in KC for 5 years. In those 5 years he was ALWAYS on a 1 year deal. Now, why is that? Yes it could be so he was able to move easily if he wanted to. But guess what, the NFL has policies in place that does NOT allow a team to block an interview if it is for a promotion. So then the question becomes if he is so good, and so wanted, why 1 year deals. Oh, lets add to the fact that Andy Reid called the plays, and was really the OC, not Bieniemy.

Next issue, from other sources its reported that Bieniemy had bad interviews. The ESPN and Fox reporters ranted on what does that mean? Seriously? I have been in R&D for over 28 years, and I can tell you without question some people simply don't interview well. They don't have the personality or the experience or simply are not a great fit. It happens.

I haven't dug all that deep, but I have yet to find Bieniemy to have more than ONE interview for HC with any team, except I believe Colts this year did it twice. So if this is the case, is it all that hard to believe he isn't that good an interviewee? Really.

To be clear here, I get there has been and quite probably still is racism in the NFL. I get there is a dearth of black Coordinators and Head Coaches. Currently there are the following minority head coaches - Mike Tomlin, Mike McDaniel, Todd Bowles and Robert Salah(I believe he is a minority). Out of 32 that is a terrible ratio.

If I am ESPN, how do you rant about Bieniemy but NOT Brian Flores, Steve Wilks who both have HC experience but were not barely interviewed this year. I get they are suing the NFL over this issue right now, but to me this is more legitimate than Bieniemy.

just my $0.02

hikeNbike

I don't know if it's racism or not, but I do feel a bit for him. Didn't Haley and Nagy both get hc jobs after being offensive coordinators in KC. Did they call their own plays or did Reid call them too? Don't know the answer, which is why I'm asking.

I agree Brian Flores and Steve Wills both have good cases. Heck Jim Caldwell has accomplished more as a head coach than Frank Reich, Caldwell ought to be the HC in Carolina with Reich as the OC. So there most definitely are other candidates deserving or arguably more deserving than Bienemy. That doesnt change my opinion that Bienemy is deserving of a chance as well. Even Jeff Saturday got a chance as an interim head coach after not coaching at any level above high school.

Again I don't know if it's racism or not, not necessarily saying that, just saying it's shocking he hasn't got a shot at least once.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Haley and Nagy were failures and no Reid calls the plays regardless.
A former Eagle and KC running back confirmed today by interview that offense went through Andy.
Agree on Caldwell 100%
Still think their are other reasons he hasn’t gotten a gig(Bieniemy) but I bet he is the death Nell for Rivera

Edit to add the RB is LeSean McCoy, and now a few former and current KC players are refuting it.

Last edited:

efactor

Coming at you
It’s not racism. Owners would sell their souls for a winner. Just because someone is a good OC doesn’t mean they have the skills to be a head coach. A lot of organizational skills needed.

hikeNbike

Yes but they both got a chance at being the head coach is the point and Bienemy in the same position hasn't. Maybe Nagy and Haley both face planting as HC is hurting Bienemy's chances. Who knows, but the point was both were on Reid's staff and got promotions largely because of it. If neither called the plays, which I wasn't sure of, that just draws an even better parallel.

hikeNbike

It’s not racism. Owners would sell their souls for a winner. Just because someone is a good OC doesn’t mean they have the skills to be a head coach. A lot of organizational skills needed.
I agree with this statement. Have no idea if Bienemy will be a good HC or not. Nor do I know if this is racism or some other issue holding him back, just simply pointing out others with similar credentials to his have been given a shot.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Yes but they both got a chance at being the head coach is the point and Bienemy in the same position hasn't. Maybe Nagy and Haley both face planting as HC is hurting Bienemy's chances. Who knows, but the point was both were on Reid's staff and got promotions largely because of it. If neither called the plays, which I wasn't sure of, that just draws an even better parallel.
I didn't ever say he doesn't deserve to be hired vs. some mistakes that have been made. Maybe that is more the statement - that he can't even beat out those choices?

hikeNbike

Maybe but poor guy still held to a higher standard than others or not given credit that others have gotten..who knows the reason. I don't but it's rough for him that he has to go to a dumpster of a situation in Washington and if he can turn that around he will get a chance. Nagy and Haley might have fallen on their face but they have that head coach money in the bank to fall back on.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Maybe but poor guy still held to a higher standard than others or not given credit that others have gotten..who knows the reason. I don't but it's rough for him that he has to go to a dumpster of a situation in Washington and if he can turn that around he will get a chance. Nagy and Haley might have fallen on their face but they have that head coach money in the bank to fall back on.
I am sorry but that is an assumption. You have no idea what standard they are or are not holding Bieniemy to. The fact it took this long has to say something, and it can't all be racism. Too many solid good black coordinators have been hired as he was interviewing.

efactor

Coming at you
I am sorry but that is an assumption. You have no idea what standard they are or are not holding Bieniemy to. The fact it took this long has to say something, and it can't all be racism. Too many solid good black coordinators have been hired as he was interviewing.
Thank you

NFL owners would sell their souls (assuming they have one) to win super bowls. Nobody is not hiring black coaches due to racism. Even Dan Snyder hired a Hispanic coach. As previously discussed, maybe Bieniemy didn't interview well. A lot of good coordinators aren't head coach material. Plus, Andy Reid designed most of that offense. Smart of him to go to a new team to get out from under Reids shadow.

hikeNbike

I didn't say it was racism. I said for whatever reason he hasn't gotten the shot and as an offensive coordinator, whether Reid called the plays or not, he has not advanced beyond that when others in his same position, offensive coordinators under Andy Reid, were given shots at head coaching. That's not really an assumption, its a direct comparison. the reason he hasn't gotten a head coaching job is x or y, that would be an assumption.

efactor

Coming at you
I didn't say it was racism. I said for whatever reason he hasn't gotten the shot and as an offensive coordinator, whether Reid called the plays or not, he has not advanced beyond that when others in his same position, offensive coordinators under Andy Reid, were given shots at head coaching. That's not really an assumption, its a direct comparison. the reason he hasn't gotten a head coaching job is x or y, that would be an assumption.
You didn’t say it but it was certainly implied when you said “poor guy is being held to a higher standard”.

hikeNbike

It was a comparison person X held the position of offensive coordinator and got hired as a head coach, but person y didn't.

Said I don't know the reason, if I did know the reason I'd tell you the reason. Could be a few reasons, maybe Nagy falling on his face has negatively affected Bienemy. Maybe he hasn't interviewed well. Or possibly there could be another reason.

Can't some one just sympathize with someone whose dream is to be a head coach and he keeps getting passed over for it?

hikeNbike

Also feels like he is putting himself in a very difficult situation in order to try and get an opportunity later. That Redskins offense coordinator position is a terribly tough job. With an unsettled QB situation and terrible ownership not to mention mediocre offensive talent outside of McLauren.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Also feels like he is putting himself in a very difficult situation in order to try and get an opportunity later. That Redskins offense coordinator position is a terribly tough job. With an unsettled QB situation and terrible ownership not to mention mediocre offensive talent outside of McLauren.
I think that will depend on what happens at QB. By all reports the team is about to be sold. IF that happens, they may go whole hog in for Lamar Jackson - I wouldn't but they may as new owners wanting to make a smash entrance.

That being said, Bieniemy needs a tough job, if for no other reason to prove his ability. He hasn't called nor created plays in any of his OC staffing roles. He needs to prove he can put an offense together and run it to its best.

Phicinfan

Administrator
A tough job or a near impossible job?
Neither. They have a great defense that can get them the ball. They have depth at RB, and solid WRs. McClaurin, Dotson and more. What they need is an inventive OC that can get those guys free, and then one of the QBs to step up and own it. Its not impossible.

You just have to be better than the other guy, just like other OCs

hikeNbike

They have a bottom third offensive line, 2 undersized but nevertheless good receivers and rb depth feels like something you say when you don't have a top tier guy. They do have a good defense. Terrible ownership. It's definitely feels like a tough job to me, yes that's my opinion. Nevertheless if they get Lamar and the yr is sold it immediately upgrades to a much better situation. Could use a good TE in the draft as well as some offensive lineman.