2021 Phicinfan's NFL Mock Draft #2!!! Post start of FA

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, time to once again mock what could happen. Key differences vs. Mock #1 - FA period has started, and teams have covered some of their key needs.
Secondly, the major trade has happened. San Francisco has moved up to #3, Miami has moved to #6 and Philadelphia has moved to #12.

Here we go:
Here is the draft order:
#1 - Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence Qb Clemson
#2 - NY Jets - Zach Wilson Qb BYU
#3 - San Francisco - trade from Houston - Trade from Miami - Mac Jones Qb Alabama
#4 - Atlanta - Trey Lance Qb North Dakota State
#5 - Cincinnati - Penei Sewell OT Oregon
#6 - Miami - Trade from Philadelphia - Ja'Marr Chase Wr LSU
#7 - Detroit - Devonta Smith Wr Alabama
#8 - Carolina - Justin Fields Qb Ohio State
#9 - Denver - Jaycee Horn Cb South Carolina
#10 - Dallas - Patrick Surtain II Cb Alabama
#11 - NY Giants - Jaylen Waddle Wr Alabama
#12 - Philadelphia - trade from San Francisco - trade from Miami - Kyle Pitts Te Florida
#13 - LA Chargers - Rashawn Slater OT Northwestern
#14 - Minnesota - Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
#15 - New England - Micah Parson ILB Penn State
#16 - Arizona - Caleb Farley Cb Virginia Tech
#17 - LA Raiders - Jaelan Phillips DE Miami
#18 - Miami - OL Alijah Vera-Tucker USC
#19 - Washington - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah Lb Notre Dame
#20 - Chicago - Kadarius Toney Wr Florida
#21 - Indianapolis - Kwity Paye DL Michigan
#22 - Tennessee - Zaven Collins OLB Tulsa
#23 - N.Y. Jets - trade from Seattle - Travis Etienne Rb Clemson
#24 - Pittsburgh - Najee Harris Rb Alabama
#25 - Jacksonville - trade from Los Angeles Rams - S Trevon Moehrig TCU
#26 - Cleveland - Aaron Robinson Cb UCF
#27 - Baltimore - Terrance Marshall Jr Wr LSU
#28 - New Orleans - Nick Bolton ILB Missouri
#29 - Green Bay - Levi Onwuzurike DT Washington
#30 - Buffalo - Joe Tyron DE Washington
#31 - Kansas City - Jaylen Mayfield OT Michigan
#32 - Tampa Bay - Christian Barmore DT Alabama

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay here is the theory behind this....
First - pick #2 - I have no doubt that the Jets have made it clear they are taking a Qb at #2. Yes, reports say San Francisco did not reach out to SF in the deal with Miami, however it has been documented they have talked to Jets about Sam Darnold. I agree with some experts that it was made clear Jets are going Qb. Of all the Qbs, they seem to be higher on Wilson, as are many teams.

Pick #3 - I am totally stymied here. I am reading way too much about how they love Mac Jones to run their offense. But my gut says, it very well will be Justin Fields. I do NOT thing it is Trey Lance. Trey Lance isn't ready to start in the NFL, not sure Jones is either. But Fields could do it. But I keep hearing Jones is the better fit according to San Fran.

Pick #4 - Yes, they have Matt Ryan. Yes they extended and redid his deal for cap space this year. Yes, the dead money hits next year or year after if they release him. But lets be clear here folks. The cap next year will skyrocket due to new TV deal, and due to expectation of full stadiums again. The hurt won't mean much next year. But Atlanta has to get younger and more importantly cheaper at Qb to fix other issues. Lance will have a full year to learn under Matt Ryan, and will profit from it.

Pick #8 - I am completely sold this pick will be Qb. They will get who is left, and quite frankly I think they are fine with that. I have Fields there now, but I won't be shocked if it isn't Jones.

Pick #9 - Horn's stock bloomed after his Pro day, and many are starting to be concerned over Farley and his sitting out last year and getting over the injury.

As far as the trade goes - this is a land fall for Miami and Philadelphia. Both will still get the player they wanted and previous pick, AND have added draft capital for next year and beyond. I will add - BOTH - could be in position to make a move for Watson if his legal status can clear up. Philadelphia has like 11 picks next year - and potentially 3 first rounders depending on how much Wentz plays for Indy.

efactor

Coming at you
I know it's a buzz, but no way in hell SF take Jones at #3

Fields will be the pick. He is everything Shanahan wants in a QB.

Can't wait for draft night

Walter34

Bears needs are many but the following are most improtant

OT - They let Massie Go already, Leno in last year of contract. Need a Left and Right long term
QB - Everyone knows the story here. Likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder is QB
WR - Anthony Miller is a question mark, but they basically have no one after ARob and Mooney
CB - Self inflicted hole in the defence after the Kyle Fuller release.

Secondary needs:

Defensive Line - Akiem Hicks is getting older and may yet be released this year to save 10 million in cap space. Great player now but it may be time to cut ties this year or next
Linebacker - Both Quinn and Trevathan have limited future years of value
A different quarterback to replace the next bust that they acquire 🤪

maverick824

Chase will go at 5 if he's there, Burrow campaigning hard. Bengals don't have a great hit rate on 1st round linemen, but are usually much better in the mid rounds. They should give Burrow another weapon and draft depth.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Chase will go at 5 if he's there, Burrow campaigning hard. Bengals don't have a great hit rate on 1st round linemen, but are usually much better in the mid rounds. They should give Burrow another weapon and draft depth.
Draft is deep at Wr, not so much quality OL. Bengals are the definition of conservative. Top flight OL will probably win out. They took a ton of heat on their poor OL last year.

maverick824

Draft is deep at Wr, not so much quality OL. Bengals are the definition of conservative. Top flight OL will probably win out. They took a ton of heat on their poor OL last year.

It may be deep at WR, but they signed Reiff, allowing them to move Williams to LT. They are set for starters, Chase upgrades them on offense in the first more than Sewell does. And again, Burrow campaigning interally for him clearly means he's comfortable with the upgrade at tackle.

Phicinfan

Administrator
It may be deep at WR, but they signed Reiff, allowing them to move Williams to LT. They are set for starters, Chase upgrades them on offense in the first more than Sewell does. And again, Burrow campaigning interally for him clearly means he's comfortable with the upgrade at tackle.
Last time I checked, Brown family ran the team. Wr isn’t the big need. Quite frankly if they don’t go OL the pick has to be Pitts. TE is a dire need for Burrow. But I am not sold on Reiff, he wasn’t all that in Minnesota. I get Joe wants his old team mate, but I am betting the team sees other needs