First 2011 Sports Outlaw Mock Draft Discussion Thread

bobbeaux

Not in love with Mark Ingram in general and definitely not to Miami. I think too many people are trying to make him out to be Emmitt Smith MkII and I don't think it fits; I actually think Daniel Thomas is going to end up being the better back, but that's just me. I also think Daniel Thomas is a better fit for the type of back Miami likes.

i looked thru needs for miami and value for the pick . . . like most mocks, ingram makes sense for the dolphins especially without a 2nd round pick . . . ;)

DearbornDolfan

i looked thru needs for miami and value for the pick . . . like most mocks, ingram makes sense for the dolphins especially without a 2nd round pick . . . ;)

I'm not saying you made a bad pick. Miami really does need a back, my point was merely that I just don't like Mark Ingram as much as everybody else does and I think Thomas probably fits the profile that Miami likes better.

bobbeaux

I'm not saying you made a bad pick. Miami really does need a back, my point was merely that I just don't like Mark Ingram as much as everybody else does and I think Thomas probably fits the profile that Miami likes better.

i hear ya . . . although they can't do it in this mock, do you have a feeling miami will be wanting to trade down?

bobbeaux

ok, now that he's been picked, is there any particular reason OT carimi fell so far in our draft? . . . i was considering him for the saints and could have easily seen him drafted by the seahawks or falcons . . . i'm seeing him all over the place in mocks . . . is it because some are saying he's not projected as a LT?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
ok, now that he's been picked, is there any particular reason OT carimi fell so far in our draft? . . . i was considering him for the saints and could have easily seen him drafted by the seahawks or falcons . . . i'm seeing him all over the place in mocks . . . is it because some are saying he's not projected as a LT?

Had every intention of taking him for the Eagles. At one point had him typed in. However, it is easier to get OL later in the draft, than top fligth Cbs. Smith sitting there filling a dire need for Philly I could not pass up. Had the CBA been in place, and they could buy Asoumagha, then I would have takne Carimi in a heartbeat.

Arctic Dawgs

Kinda had Pouncey pegged before we started. Maybe I should have looked a little more when Seahawks came up. I do think interior line is more a need for the Seahawks though. Okung and Locklear with Pouncey, Unger, and Spencer on the inside would be a pretty solid line going forword for several years

1.29 Chicago selects Gabe Carimi OT, Wisconsin

Cutler gotted knocked silly last year. Their O-Line needs help now, not a project for the future. Gabe would start right away at RT, and could eventually be groomed to take over at LT. This team has some other serious needs, but they can be addressed later on.
Didn't Chicago hire Tim Ruskell ?? Has he ever taken an Oline in the first rd no matter how bad the need. Even when Seattle was crashing due to no linemen he would state that he could get them later (3rd/4th rd) in the draft. Good luck in the future Bears fans

DearbornDolfan

i hear ya . . . although they can't do it in this mock, do you have a feeling miami will be wanting to trade down?

Yes, with a certain caveat. First, one of the top players on their board has to be falling hard enough that they'd feel confident that the player would be available if they traded back with whatever team was willing to offer a second to trade up. If they can't do that, I rather suspect they'll stay pat and trade future picks for a second this year. But acquiring a second this year is all important.

JScott

Administrator
1.17 - New England Patriots - Cameron Jordan, DE, California
1.28 - New England Patriots - Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
2.01 - New England Patriots - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

BB would let Rex videotape his feet for a start like this. NE adds two immediate impact players in Jordan and Solder, plus a luxury pick in Houston. All fill positions of need and would probably be the BPA on the Pats big board at their respective picks.

Even though Solder started his career at TE, he was almost strictly a blocking TE (only 3 catches). But flexibility is a NE/BB trademark. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Solder eventually lines up in a 2-tackle strong side type of goalline set and leaks out for a TD catch. He as quick feet which helps in pass protection for the quick dink-and-dunk offense of NE.

Remote Controller

Stephen Paea
Skinny: An imposing force in the middle of the defensive line, Paea is a disruptive presence, capable of rushing the passer and wreaking havoc in the backfield. When you talk about brute strength, search no further than the Tonga native—Paea will most likely break the NFL Scouting Combine bench press record (45 reps) come February. His rugby background shows up in his agility.
SCOUT'S TAKE
The former rugby player’s transition to football’s defensive line (he played just one year of high school football) has been incredibly smooth, and not just because of his physical skills. Paea has an uncanny understanding of leverage and how to move bodies backwards when engaged. When he is on his game it’s almost as if the offensive lineman is on roller skates…that’s how dominant the junior college transfer can be. The All-Pac-10 performer also has incredible natural strength, giving him a lethal bull rush, swim and rip moves. He is powerful tackler (four forced fumbles) and incredibly strong (44 reps of 225 pounds). OSU uses wide splits on their defensive line and moves Paea around—he lines up on the right side and the left side. He also showed the ability to play on the inside shoulder of the guard, as well as the outside shoulder. Provided his knees check out, he should be a lock for the first round due to his motor, dedication, athleticism, production and potential.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very easy selection for the Packers with this recent bit of news:

-- Johnny Jolly Arrested Again --
Fri Mar 25, 2011 --from FFMastermind.com​
NBC Sports reports last year, Green Bay Packers DL Johnny Jolly settled charges relating to the possession of codeine by entering into a pre-trial diversion program. Under the terms of the deal, the charges would have been dismissed if he had stayed out of trouble for a year. He didn’t make it. Sports Radio 610 in Houston reports, via CBSHoustonTX.com, that Jolly has been arrested for felony possession of codeine, the active ingredient in the beverage known as “lean” and “purple drank.” Police stopped Jolly’s Escalade early Friday, for a traffic violation. Jolly reportedly presented a state identification card rather than a driver’s license. Police thereafter learned that his license is suspended, and ineligible for renewal. Police then searched Jolly’s vehicle and found 600 grams of codeine. In July 2010, the NFL suspended Jolly for all of the 2010 season. He reportedly commenced the process of obtaining reinstatement earlier this year. Earlier this week, coach Mike McCarthy said that Jolly “definitely” remains in the teams plans. McCarthy may be using a different word to describe Jolly’s status now, given that he faces both new charges and a likely claim that he violated his diversion program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rugby agility and combine record strength. It all comes down to how the knee looks after surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remote Controller

Denver needs Defense now. They are relatively solid on the offensive side of the ball with two qb's who can either avoid the rush or make the quick decision needed to get the ball in the hands of the proper player. They have receivers and running backs that cover all aspects of a controlled or all out attack. They need to get the ball back. Liuget is a guy who can help them, or another team on defense right now. He fits both the 3-4, and 4-3 schemes making him very valuable on Denver or in a trade to another squad as he was the best player available in my opinion. I considered a TE here but felt this was a much more flexible and coveted player at this point of the draft.

-From Sportsline-
Overview

Although Liuget (pronounced "legit") appeared to come out of nowhere as a top prospect in the team's 2010 bowl win over Baylor in the Texas Bowl, he was highly-recruited as one of the top prospects from the Miami area and quite productive with the Illini throughout his career despite losing playing time due to veteran depth at the position.
As a true freshman Liuget started two of the 11 games in which he played, making 26 tackles, five for loss and 1.5 sacks. He received only four starting nods in 2009, but still managed eight tackles for loss (of 36 stops), 2.5 sacks and three pass break-ups. His performance in the 2010 Texas Bowl win was certainly impressive (5 tackles, 2.5 TFL, sack), but he already been named second-team All-Big 10 for his play during the regular season. He finished with 63 tackles, 12.5, 4.5 sacks and 10 quarterback hurries on the year. The Miami native's versatility may be what puts him among the top defensive tackle prospects in this class. His ability to get consistent pass rush from the three-technique and nose spots will excite teams using four-man fronts. His experience at the five-technique and nose tackle positions his season should intrigue 3-4 teams, as well.
Analysis
Pass rush: Tough for many college interior linemen to handle one-on-one in pass protection. Quick enough to beat lesser linemen off the snap at three-tech, uses his hands to free himself from block when there is enough space to do so. Gets his man on skates or pushes through a block (or double) to the quarterback to get pressure. Also strong and quick enough to play on the nose in obvious passing situations. Recovers from strong punch to run through a gap immediately. Does not have elite closing speed, but his hustle and ability to stay low make him difficult to escape within or outside the pocket.
Run defense: Stout defender who plays with a strong base. Penetrates into the backfield with quickness. Lines up at three and five-technique spots. Capable of stack-shed inside or outside. Gets past reach blocks on inside runs with quick feet and strength to keep blocker on his shoulder. Usually keeps his head up to find the ball. Lacks acceleration to keep outside containment as a five-technique. Not consistent defeating cut blocks with his hands.
Explosion: Not elite in his first step, but has enough to be a pass rush and penetrating run-stopper inside. Ballcarriers feel every bit of his strength when he tackles them, and blockers are bruised up with his punching and swiping throughout the game.
Strength: His ability to play multiple positions not only comes from his quick feet, but also his strength. Lands a big punch into the chest of his man, swipes with aggression to move the blocker aside. Uses his low center of gravity to his advantage, getting leverage to stack one-on-one and shed to either direction when playing two-gap at nose tackle. Senses zone block, uses blocker's inertia against him with a strong push to get into the backfield. Usually anchors well against single and double blocks, but can get moved by NFL-caliber linemen. Tackling: Strong upper body, hustle, and good length make him an excellent tackler. Engulfs running backs in the backfield when able to penetrate. Built low to the ground, displays excellent change of direction ability to stay in front of backs cutting against the grain. Hustles 10-15 yards downfield to make or help on tackles. Adds himself to piles when able. Lacks elite closing speed to chase down backs from behind. Tends to run out of steam when playing a lot at the end of games. Intangibles: Coaches say Liuget is a leader in the locker and meetings rooms. Chose Illinois over southern schools because of head coach Ron Zook. Wished to transfer after two years in Champaign due to home sickness; mother said he would not be welcome home if he transferred.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Sorry AD, Im here to make the pick and was going to do so when you went with the other guy.

My selection for the Arizona Cardinals is the obvious need - Christian Ponder. A QB who is instantly better than Max Hall and John "Scar Face" Skelton.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Id like to see a bit of discussion on this Torrey Smith pick.

I considered him for the Falcons, but went with Baldwin because Smith has painfully small hands. The last small handed Maryland WR (DHB) did not do that well.

MNJHNSN

I figured you were trying to elicit some talk re: Smith. I like his big play ability, straight line speed and work ethic, a threat to score anywhere on the field. He needs to polish his route running and catching the ball with those small hands. Atlanta as the #2 may have been better for Smith, than the #1 in Cleveland.

bobbeaux

hmmm . . . the titans selected qb gabbert in the 1st and were left with de's sheard, bailey or dt/de ballard to choose from . . . i'm thinking i shouldn't have (and they shouldn't either) bent to guru opinion . . . could have had my choice of de's smith, jordan, watt or kerrigan in the 1st and qb's locker, mallet, kapernick in the 2nd . . . or even waited until the 3rd . . . ;)