SO GM Mock Draft #2 Discussion Thread

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I also can see Moreno slide, the RB's in general may slide due to a lack of need in the league. Hoever, this may be one of the best picks of the firsat round. Great steal for Arizona

On Maybin, I agree he will not....but let me be the one to toss cold water onto the situation, you just drafted one of the bigger busts in the first round of the 2009 draft. Maybin is a one year wonder from a program that's DE's are notorious for being busts. He's a work out warrior type who is a one trick poney. To further complicate the pick it's abosolutely not a need what so ever for Pitt. I disagree that Woodley can play DE in a 3-4, his strangth is right where he is and he's 2x's the OLB that Maybin will ever be. If they would make this pick and try to make that move they will worsen their team in the long term and not strengthen it.

This guy is you yearly work out warrior and one trick pony that flys up the board. Who ever takes him I think will be regretful in the end. Good thing for Pitt is someone will make the mistake well before them come the real thing. Can't fault the pick here, going by general concensus this is the BPA, just not a player I am excited about at all.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I can understand your interpretation of A. Smith at this juncture and he would have some explaining/convincing to do for me to be comfortable taking him early but by the same token I don't want to read to much into his odd behavior but more interested in him proving he is ready to put forth an effort we haven't seen - how would an incentive laden contract work out for someone at that position?

I have Smith ahead of Oher but can definitely see Orakpo as a safer pick over him.
In theory that is a great idea.....but when is the last time you saw an incentive laden deal for a top 10 draft pick? They get a BOAT load of guaranteed money and are a massive investment. If you are not ready to make that investment and prefer a different deal all you will end up with is a messy hold out and a even worse situation.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
im not going to toot my own horn because it was sheer luck and awful drafting in front of my pick, but san diego would absolutely wet themselves if they lucked into rey maulauga. that defense would go from scary good to downright sick with rey rey in the middle of it.
Very possible for Ray M to get to the middle part of rd 1. He could go higher, but it's not that unrealistic for mocks to have him even lower than that.

Runnik's Hambones

I agree with you, Miller, on Maybin. Although I have him ranked high, because he's quick, and had 12 sacks in his sophmore season, he scares me. With that said, he'll still be a top 15 pick. Also, you're exactly right, I think that Pittsburgh has no real reason to pick a DE because they simply don't need it. They're hurting on the OL more than anywhere else right now. Also with that said, for arguments sake, it's tough to pass on him at pick #32, so I can see where WesDawg is coming from.

On another note, Ray Maulauga will likely be picked at about 12-16.

bobbeaux

On Maybin, I agree he will not....but let me be the one to toss cold water onto the situation, you just drafted one of the bigger busts in the first round of the 2009 draft. Maybin is a one year wonder from a program that's DE's are notorious for being busts. He's a work out warrior type who is a one trick poney. To further complicate the pick it's abosolutely not a need what so ever for Pitt. I disagree that Woodley can play DE in a 3-4, his strangth is right where he is and he's 2x's the OLB that Maybin will ever be. If they would make this pick and try to make that move they will worsen their team in the long term and not strengthen it.

This guy is you yearly work out warrior and one trick pony that flys up the board. Who ever takes him I think will be regretful in the end. Good thing for Pitt is someone will make the mistake well before them come the real thing. Can't fault the pick here, going by general concensus this is the BPA, just not a player I am excited about at all.

their's a whole lot more of the same available throughout the first 2 - 3 rounds and they have more experience . . . luckily, there are a lot of teams moving to the 3-4 defense this year because there are a lot of olb/de tweeners in this years draft . . . ;)

bobbeaux

I agree with you, Miller, on Maybin. Although I have him ranked high, because he's quick, and had 12 sacks in his sophmore season, he scares me. With that said, he'll still be a top 15 pick. Also, you're exactly right, I think that Pittsburgh has no real reason to pick a DE because they simply don't need it. They're hurting on the OL more than anywhere else right now. Also with that said, for arguments sake, it's tough to pass on him at pick #32, so I can see where WesDawg is coming from.

On another note, Ray Maulauga will likely be picked at about 12-16.

also, the top 2 centers were gone, as well as the better OT's . . . ;)

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i hadnt seen rey lower than top 10, and i dont think he should be. i see him as the defensive playmaker of this entire draft personally. but oh well, havent followed too close. maybe he'll fall all the way to my vikings somehow.

bobbeaux

i hadnt seen rey lower than top 10, and i dont think he should be. i see him as the defensive playmaker of this entire draft personally. but oh well, havent followed too close. maybe he'll fall all the way to my vikings somehow.

denver let last year's starter nate webster walk . . . they would be stupid to let rey go by . . . but then again, they replaced cutler with orton so you never know . . . lol . . . ;)

Runnik's Hambones

Going to do some critiquing. Do not feel like I think your picks are dumb by any means, because I don't feel that way. Just mostly doing it as a bit of homework for the draft special show. Will likely have to come in and out of editing this because I'm currently producing the men's baseball game in-studio at WBUL.

1. Detroit Lions - DearbornDolfan - Michael Oher - OT - Ole Miss
Hm. Dearborn, I love the fact that this pick shows you have balls. Going OL is not the norm, as we all know, for this pick. While I like the direction you're going with your pick off to start, Jason Smith is a better OT IMO. I actually have Oher ranked 4th.

2. St. Louis Rams - DearbornDolfan - Jason Smith - OT - Baylor
Can't argue whatsoever with this pick. Jason Smith is the best OL on my list.

3. Kansas City Cheifs - Dearborn Dolfan - Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech
While I can understand the appeal here: Crabtree/Bowe/Gonzalez, I think that KC has bigger needs. Aaron Curry should be gone here I'd think, however Vrabel makes that defense better already. While they could still use more help, way to shake things up Dearborn.

4. Seattle Seahawks - Arctic Dawgs - Eugene Monroe - OT - Virginia

Solid pick.
5. Cleveland Browns - Miller - Aaron Curry - LB - Wake Forest
Lucky. Aaron Curry available, they gotta take him.

6. Cincinnati Bengals - Miller - BJ Raji - DT - BC
Sure deal here.

7. Oakland Raiders - Miller - Brian Orakpo - DE - Texas
Oakland's lucky here as well that Orakpo is available. It's simply because Curry wasn't picked until 5. The alternative is WR but they have time for that come round 2.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars - JMsmith1 - Jeremy Maclin - WR - Missouri
Good pick, they need someone not hooked on crack.

9. Green Bay Packers - JMsmith1 - Everette Brown - DE/OLB - Florida State

Love the pick

10. San Francisco 49ers - Sgt John - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
While I'm higher on Malcolm Jenkins, I do like Davis as well. With that said, Stafford and Sanchez are available. I can't imagine San Fran not taking one of them here.

11. Buffalo Bills - Sgt John - Alex Mack, C/G, California
Solid pick, but I like Maybin here more.

12. Denver Broncos - lemmer - Matt Stafford - QB - Georgia
No brainer. Stafford fell this far??? Sold!

13. Washington Redskins - Arctic Dawgs - Andre Smith - OT - Alabama
I like this pick as well, but on the list, we still have Maybin available. Honestly, the Skins need someone to replace Jason Taylor and to play next to Haynesworth. While I think Andre Smith will likely go here, in this mock, you may be able to get more value at DE right now.

14. New Orleans Saints - Runnik's Hambones - Malcolm Jenkins - CB/S - Ohio State
My pick... should I critique? Ok I will... OMG WHOEVER PICKED THIS IS THE GREATEST PERSON IN THE WORLD!!! HOLY HELL, YOU'RE AWESOME!!!! :clap::banana::pickle:

15. Houston Texans - bobbeaux - Clay Matthews - OLB - USC
Good draft here. Keep in mind, it's after the fact, but the Texans just signed OLB Cato June. I for one have been watching him closely since he just left Tampa. I love June. You may be able to go somewhere else with this pick. I wasn't high on the whole Chris Wells rumor, but after that signing, it would be fun to see.

16. San Diego Chargers - Da Bomb - Rey Maulauga - LB - USC
Good pick DB. I love Rey. The other option I like is RT.

17. New York Jets - deuce - Mark Sanchez - QB - USC
Beautiful. He's available, I don't see how you'd let him slide.

18. Denver Broncos -lemmer - Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU
Denver's killing the draft right now. 2 solid picks.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Runnik's Hambones - Peria Jerry - DT - Mississippi
OMG HE'S BACK AGAIN, WHAT A FREAKING AMAZING GUY! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HIM!!!!!!! :clap::banana::pickle::koolaid::hitit2:

20. Detroit Lions (From Dallas) - Dearborn Dolfan - James Laurinaitis - LB - Ohio State
Yay! I like this pick. Personally, I find Laurinaitis a 2nd rounder, but Detroit needs this spot filled.

21. Philadelphia Eagles - JMsmith1 - Eben Britton - OT - Arizona
Exactly the pick I was thinking, well done.

22. Minnesota Vikings - Da Bomb - Max Unger - C - Oregon
LOVE this pick, DB. Yet another good selection.

23. New England Patriots - JMsmith1 - Clint Sintim - LB - Virginia
Perfect. Looking to replace Vrabel, Clint Sintim is already a Bellichek guy and he's not even in the pros yet. NOTE: I really like CB Darius Butler here too. Keep an eye out for him.

24. Atlanta Falcons - Runnik's Hambones - Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Oklahoma State
ZOMG I CANNOT EVEN EXPRESS HOW COOL YOU ARE!!!!! WOOOOAHHHHHHH!!!!! :clap::banana::pickle::koolaid::hitit2::D:trampolin

25. Miami Dolphins - Dearborn Dolfan - Alphonso Smith - CB - Wake Forest
Love this pick Dearborn. Well done. I like CB for the Dolphins here. Need someone opposite Will Allen.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Beermutts - Darrius Heyward-Bey - WR - Maryland
No doubt that they need someone other than grandfather Mason! He will complement Flacco nicely.

27. Indianapolis Colts - Miller - Brain Cushing - OLB - USC
Good selection. Other than DT, the Colts could go WR or OLB. Can't argue here but I think a WR to replace Marvin Harrison would have made sense as well.

28. Philadelphia Eagles (From Carolina) - JMsmith1 - Chris Beanie Wells - RB - Ohio State
Eh, while I'm not a fan of this (get Javon Ringer later if you're so bent on RB), I can see the logic behind it. Personal preference I guess. I like DE here. They need someone on that left side.

29. New York Giants - Beermutts - Kenny Britt - WR - Rutgers
Plax out, Britt in. I like Hakim Nicks more, but that's a personal preference, good selection.

30. Tennessee Titans - bobbeaux - Percy Harvin - WR - Florida
I guess if Harvin is still available you take him? I think DE/ILB is a more important pick here.

31. Arizona Cardinals - WesDawg - Knoshown Moreno - RB - Georgia
Good pick.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - WesDawg - Aaron Maybin, DE/LB, Penn St.
I like OL better than DE here. Pittsburgh doesn't need that position so waiting to get a young guy makes more sense to me. With that said, the fact that Aaron Maybin is still available at pick 32 is pretty much unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Ok, so your draft acumen obviously far outweighs your humility... LOL

I needed a good laugh today, RH. That was funny!

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I'll defend the Maybin selection a bit farther, but I freely admit he's not an absolute need. As for the "one year wonder" and "flash in the pan" critiques, I very much get that and it crossed my mind before picking him. But much like a young franchise QB, he won't be starting from day one. In '07, much to my chagrin (I wanted Leon Hall badly if anyone remembers), GM Kevin Colbert grabbed Lawrence Timmons in the mid-first round when we didn't "need" him at the time, either. He played mostly on special teams in '07, then played mostly ST and on passing downs last year. This season he'll probably be one of the starting MLB's, and he's quite good. I would envision Maybin on the same path, being groomed to eventually replace either Farrior (age) or even Harrison, who started squawking about his contract after the super bowl.
At any rate, I was staying true to my board as closely as I could, but as I said earlier, the 3 guys I REALLY wanted with this pick were gone, and some of my other targets will be around when I pick again and would've been a reach in the first. Had the top of the draft unfolded differently, I would've had at least had Unger available, I think. I also believe that if we allowed trading in this mock, I could've dealt out of this pick and added an early 2nd rounder and maybe even an extra 3rd to someone who coveted Maybin.

dukdown

Banned
I gotta say one thing about the popular opinion around here that Jason Smith is better than Michael Oher or that Eugene Monroe is better than whoever. Honestly, did anyone really even know who Jason Smith was before they started learning about this draft class, getting ready for these mocks? Did anyone here really focus on Jason Smith in all the Baylor football they watched this year? In all that Virginia football you watched this year, were you really focusing on Monroe's footwork at the LT position?

I did get into watching Ol' Miss football this year, because they became a covering machine, and it was hard not to notice the outstanding play of Oher. And it was hard not to notice how dominant Andre Smith was watching Alabama football. But for Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe, I did not notice one snap they played in their careers.

Runnik's Hambones

I can say with complete confidence that I did not notice them before the offseason this year, duk. It wasn't until about a month and a half ago that I noticed them. I can say however that I have watched every bit of film on each of them that I could find online. As far as performance, Andre Smith is the best. His problem comes when we get to the combine. If we talk about that, he drops. The next best that I saw was Jason Smith, then Eugene Monroe and Oher came in a very close forth (Monroe and Oher were both almost equally as good).

How do you feel about them? Personally the most skilled one, IMO, is Andre Smith.

dukdown

Banned
The only two things I can surmise about Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are that a) when asked who he hopes the Rams draft with the 2nd overall pick, Steven Jackson said, "I want us to get the big guy from Baylor" and b) that Monroe caused Brandon Albert to have to play LG while at Virginia, and that Virginia linemen have come into the league recently and played with good character.

Smith ran well at the Combine, looked athletic, which would make sense for a player who is a converted TE. I saw both players in the drills in the Combine, and I did not see any offensive lineman who matched what I saw from Joe Thomas in 07, and Jake Long in 08.

Runnik's Hambones

Honestly, we didn't see the best OL at the combine. While it's a shame, it's true. Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe don't compare to Jake Long very well, but I truly think that Andre Smith, had he worked out after the season and came in prepared, would have.

dukdown

Banned
ya, well as they say, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. It's still my opinion, and until I see myself proven wrong, that Andre Smith will not be a 1st round pick. The NFL does not reward players who do what Smith has done this post-season, rather, makes examples of them.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
im actually more excited about oher than any of the other tackle prospects personally. but it was still a dumb mock pick because it threw off any remote shot at realistic drafting from the very 1st pick.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
ya, well as they say, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. It's still my opinion, and until I see myself proven wrong, that Andre Smith will not be a 1st round pick. The NFL does not reward players who do what Smith has done this post-season, rather, makes examples of them.
Won't shock me, though i think someone will take him. RH, your right he may have been if he applied himself, but that is the problem and where the3 brush fire starts. If you can keep his weight under control and keep him motivated he has the skills to be dominant......but he just doesn't seem to have that fire to be great and due to that I doubt he is anything but another first round bust.