Your Draft Process

Effing Bored

dot com
Everyone has a process in which they anually go through to draft their teams.

Whether you get a 12 pack and draft from your home, or get together with the guys..everyone does it differently.

Do you have a ranking list in order of the best players in each respective position? Or do you just rely on the online ranking of the fantasy league?

I guess I am just interested in hearing how everyone else does it.

I always grab some beer and have my players in an excel database that I have ranked to be my favorites, so should the person pick the player I wanted next, I won't have to research the next best thing. Always open to suggestions. :)

jjtweeks

I usually know who and what I want but will take a player off the board even if i don't need him or bye weeks clash if it is too good to pass up. I pay little to no attention of the ADP's or ranking

ExperiencedRookie

I like to keep a standard rankings list so that I know what a lot of the other more basic type drafters are looking at. Gives you a better idea of the range of players who might fall to you in each round.

Im also big into league history. Once you've got a few years completed in a league, you can kind of get a feel for how other teams draft based on their history. Can also be helpful to keep a spreadsheet that tracks the amount of RBs, WRs, etc etc all get picked in each round on average.

cctekguy

Staff member
I'm usually pretty casual about the draft as it usually turns out to be a minor factor in winning the championship (at least in our 7 keeper league).

I usually have a handful of guys I'm targeting and they are usually NOT the guys at the top of the ADP list and more often than not they end up being dropped for the latest hot hand.

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
The draft is in person with beer, pizza and cigars. It comes fast so the tiering system works well. I don't have to analyze player by player (I've already done that). I can take any player from a higher tier before a lower-tier player. It's fast.

I do tiering with a simple method. I usually have a running list of the top 200 players or so broken into tiers of value. Tier 1 might be Peterson, Charles, Martin, C Johnson, and Rice. The top of tier 2 might be McCoy, Richardson, Dez Bryant, Lynch, Brees. You see how it goes. I try to take players in the higher tier before any from lower tiers.

Then I break down just RB's by tier. Then WR's. And onto Tight Ends. Because I wait until the late rounds to pick DEF and K I don't tier them, just use a trusted ranking.