With the First Pick of the 2011 NFL Draft...

mills

Carolina? Bills? COWBOYS?

I'm thinking it will be Carolina, I see the Bills winning a game or two.

With that said, who are the prospects for the #1 pick?

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
No telling right now, but of the 3 option teams, think they will grab a QB first and foremost.

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
I agree, QB will be first on the agenda. Correction...QB "should" be the first need they fill. Unless it's the Cowboys...

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
No way Carolina takes a Qb. Not after all the money they have invested now. They desperately need oline and dline. Lb depth too.

As for buffalo, go with OL, OT especially, and then Qb.

or should be that way.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
No way Carolina takes a Qb. Not after all the money they have invested now.

They don't have enough money tied up in those QBs to pass on a franchise guy. Besides, Fox and the GM will likely be shown the door and a new regime won't feel obligated to the likes of Clausen.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
No way Carolina takes a Qb. Not after all the money they have invested now.

Matt Moore is in the final months of a 1 year, $3.043 million contract.

Jimmy Clausen is in the first year of a 4 year contract with only $2.53 million guarenteed.

Tony Pike is in the first year of a four year contract, cant find the money other than none of it is guarenteed.

In short, the Panthers only have about $2.5 million tied up in QB contracts. They can easily move on a frachise QB in the 2011 Draft. That team NEEDS a reliable guy under center. As the year is already lost, I would have spent the week getting Pike ready and seeing what he can do with a full game.

The problems with that are John Fox and Steve Smith. Throwing a young QB out to work with Steve Smith is like throwing a young QB out to work with Terrell Owens. Fox is gone after his contract expires at the end of the year, so what does he care about seeing the future.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
The current rap on Ryan Mallett:

Mallett's team is winning and he's putting up good stats, but if you take a closer look his accuracy is highly inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, and he struggles with mobility and has a hard time eluding pass rushers. Mallett is a bit of a statue in the pocket and doesn't create throwing lanes outside the tackle box when his receivers struggle to get open.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
I dont think any NFL team should waste a #1 overall pick on a QB, it takes a lot of development for a QB out of college to learn how the position is played in the NFL as its becoming more and more complicated these days.

The RB or WR position is a little more straight forward and is able to make the transition a lot faster making an immediate impact.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Matt Moore is in the final months of a 1 year, $3.043 million contract.

Jimmy Clausen is in the first year of a 4 year contract with only $2.53 million guarenteed.

Tony Pike is in the first year of a four year contract, cant find the money other than none of it is guarenteed.

In short, the Panthers only have about $2.5 million tied up in QB contracts. They can easily move on a frachise QB in the 2011 Draft. That team NEEDS a reliable guy under center. As the year is already lost, I would have spent the week getting Pike ready and seeing what he can do with a full game.

The problems with that are John Fox and Steve Smith. Throwing a young QB out to work with Steve Smith is like throwing a young QB out to work with Terrell Owens. Fox is gone after his contract expires at the end of the year, so what does he care about seeing the future.
:hmmm: I thought they had more money in Claussen.

Still, if you want this team to win, rebuild the lines and make use of the Rbs they have. I am not sure any of these so called franchise qbs this draft really are.

That all said, I stated McCoy was the qb to have in last years draft, but Bradford made me silly. Still, I bet they wished now they had listened to me and taken McCoy instead of Claussen! ;)

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
:hmmm: I thought they had more money in Claussen.

Yeah I thought they had catered to him a bit more. Looked it all up last night. Couldnt find what Pike gets anywhere.....

Still, if you want this team to win, rebuild the lines and make use of the Rbs they have. I am not sure any of these so called franchise qbs this draft really are.

Could be, but Luck seems to look the best of them all. He may not come out however, and then we are talking about picking between Locker, Foles, and Mallet, and Im not sold on any of them.

That all said, I stated McCoy was the qb to have in last years draft, but Bradford made me silly. Still, I bet they wished now they had listened to me and taken McCoy instead of Claussen! ;)

I dont know how Steve Smith would have taken to being called out by a rookie for his behavior. McCoy would have done that. Probably best he went to Cleveland.

maverick824

I think the current "future star" QB trend in the NFL is shifting toward a more mobile pocket QB. Rodgers, Rivers, Freeman, Romo, Bradford. All guys athletic enough to shift with the heat, extend plays while keeping eyes downfield. Brady's a master of it. Vick's even more dangerous now that he's staying home instead of bolting from pressure. Luck has that footwork/mobility. So does Blaine Gabbert. Pryor will get a look as a pro QB, so long as he stays outta the Columbus tattoo parlors and continues to develop as a passer. This is Mallett's biggest failing as a prospect. If you're as mobile as Peyton Manning, you better have Manning's accuracy and command of the offense, which Mallett does not.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
With Luck out of the picture it looks like the early favorite for QB1 in this draft is Gabbert out of Mizzou

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Whats the odds SF trades up to get an early pick to get a QB? Or does he stay put and go for Luck in the next draft? Could be interesting if SF does somehow get Luck in the following draft.

Phicinfan

Administrator
With Luck not in now, I don't see a Qb at the #1 pick. Look at what happened last year. Only Bradford at #1, and he was clearly the cream of the crop, and then nothing till later in the first round ( denver :biglaugh: sorry, couldn't resist ;) ). I am not sold on any of these other Qbs being top ten in this draft. Wait til early second, and snag one of these guys. Go top talent elsewhere on DL or CB to rebuild the team.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Seems reasonable, but I'm a little surprised they don't peg Washington grabbing a QB, and they do peg Holmgren taking a lousy QB when McCoy did such a nice job.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I personally think Mallet lost some spots in the draft when he thru that int to lose the game. Maybe Newton or Locker jumps up and grabs the spot. But look who the team in question is. 1 player won't make that team any better next year. It will take a comibnation of players and some luck.