Who will be the next HC at Texas Tech?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Short list:

1. Art Briles, Baylor
2. Kevin Sumlin, Houston
3. Larry Fedora, Southern Mississippi

Texas Tech was a decent gig BECAUSE of Leach. Lets look at the facts here:

Texas and Oklahoma are the big elephants in the room.
Oklahoma State and Texas A&M are rising programs
TCU is a title contender
SMU is on the rise
Baylor is slowly rising from the ashes

Who the hell is going to want to take a job in the armpit of Texas, much less play there? Norman, Austin, Stillwater, Waco, Fort Worth, Dallas are all near or are civilization, and there are lots of things for a young man on the prowl to do. There isnt shit to do in Lubbock but hunt Cougars. I do not believe the Texas Tech job is a step up from Houston or Baylor honestly. Fedora might jump from Southern Mississippi, but he could also stand pat and wait for an SEC gig to come open down the line. Plus youre following a "legend", who has the support of his ex players and fan base. This is a volatile gig right now, and it likely needs an unknown or a guy who is desperate for a job.

Im going to throw a surprise guy out there: Steve Kragthorpe

He flopped hard at Louisville, but he did well at Tulsa, should have recruiting ties left in the area, and the personnel would fit what he runs. Leach used the "grey shirt" option so much the next guy might be hamstrung on getting his players till 2011.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
He would have to recruit his ass off, and I dont think he can do it. He has expressed great interest in the job.

You can throw Ruffin McNeill in the mix as well, but I dont see the intermin guy getting the gig. They pissed off a BUNCH of people and need a good splash.

DearbornDolfan

Tubby might be a good guy to go with at TT. When he's not hamstrung by alumni and "tradition" *cough*Auburn*cough*, his offense is as explosive as anybody's.

Bucknut

Who the hell is going to want to take a job in the armpit of Texas, much less play there?

Good question. Especially seeing how TT treated Leach.

I can understand if they wanted to fire him, but they rushed the decision to avoid paying him his bonus.

If I were a coach at a small program and got a TT offer, I'd pass.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I will. Im really interested in how this turns out. My guy up there hasnt given any indication.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Another name being tossed around before the dismissal: Todd Dodge, QB, North Texas.

His son Riley is the QB though, so I wonder if hed leave him.