What the H is up with Andre Smith?

Coachnorm

I was just reading an article that said he hadn't really prepared well for the combine. The writer said that many draft experts think that he will drop to the bottom of the first round. I don't think so myself. Smith still has his Pro Day to show off. He may drop some in the draft so their will be some teams that get a chance at him who didn't expect to. But with all the teams that need talent at the Tackle position I don't think many will even blink before grabbing him.

Thought I heard something about him not being prepared, also thinkin I heard something about him not having an agent being another excuse. Was that not why he got suspended from the Sugar Bowl? My memory is spotty at times but seems like there was some scuttlebutt about him contacting an agent being the reason for that suspension.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
It was. I figure with the drop this guy probably cost himself $10-$15 million dollars with these antics.

Coachnorm

From what I read it sounds like lack of prep was the problem. Now Smith did try and claim at the combine that his Sugar Bowl suspension wasn't related to his contacting an contacting an agent.

While it appears that Smith hadn't contacted an agent himself before the Sugar Bowl it seemed that someone in his family did contact an agent just before the Sugar Bowl. It was close to Bowl game being played, Smith wasn't entirely up front about it with his coach and Alabama school officials. Lacking time to really investigate the matter The school and Sabin payed it safe and suspended Smith rather than chance tarnishing the outcome of the game.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Doing some more reading, people still think this is a franchise guy. I just wonder if the brain will now match up with brawn.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
He decided to leave the combine early in order to prepare for Alabama's pro day on March 11, 2009. Smith, however, did not inform his group leader at the combine before he left, and later apologized, stating: "If I had the chance to do it all over, I wouldn't have handled it the way I did. I should have told my group leader that I was leaving, and I didn't. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers or step on any toes. I didn't mean to grandstand anyone at the combine. That was not my intention at all, and I apologize for my mistake." Smith also admitted that he wasn't prepared or in shape.

From the mouth of the man himself.

Runnik's Hambones

He'll fall, yes, but I doubt too far. To be honest, my first reaction is "you freaking idiot!!! what are you doing?!!!" Then the more I thought about it, I gotta say, leaving may not have been a bad decision. I still think that he should have sat down and told someone he was leaving first, and not just up and left without a word. However, he's completely out of shape, or so he's leading us to believe. Why would he work out at the Combine? If he knows for a fact that he's already screwed up big time by not preparing himself, he needs to go to Atlanta, and work his ass off down there. He'll drop a bit because of his decision, but if he shows out at the Pro Day, he'll be back up there in the top 3 category, IMO.

dukdown

Banned
He can't be too out of shape, as he came in at 335 or so. The main issue right now for Andre Smith is that why has it taken him so long to choose an Agent (a player can't get into the performance academies without a connection to an agent). He's showing immaturity (came to his interview sessions I heard dressed very inappropriately), and that's something teams aren't looking to invest a ton of money in. He's got one chance, that's his Pro Day, and he better be on point.