• Ride out the Big 12

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Other Option (So State in Thread)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Great debate going on about this. It deserves its own thread, but its kinda hard to split up now.

Speak on it, and vote in the poll. Right now, Id have to say if we go, its to the Big 10. The Pac 10 hasnt spoken to us yet to my knowledge.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I say join the Big 10.

Last I had heard, the Big 10 wanted to add 3 more teams, not just one. By doing so they would create the first super conference and thus start changing the landscape of what conferences are doing.

By adding Texas and probably a Pitt and or Syracuse or UConn...the Big 10 will expand its reach to both the East coast for viewing as well as the south and west. It would be a huge boon for the conf., and thus the member teams as well.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I say join the Big 10.

Last I had heard, the Big 10 wanted to add 3 more teams, not just one. By doing so they would create the first super conference and thus start changing the landscape of what conferences are doing.

By adding Texas and probably a Pitt and or Syracuse or UConn...the Big 10 will expand its reach to both the East coast for viewing as well as the south and west. It would be a huge boon for the conf., and thus the member teams as well.
If your going after expanding that B10 stamp the furthest, then I think Pitt would be the team that has to be dropped, they already have that market.

Texas, Missouri (picks up the KC & St.Louis markets) and Syracuse or Rutgers makes the most sense. I have not heard UConn's name tossed in at all, but would be a nice East coast market as well.

Phicinfan

Administrator
If your going after expanding that B10 stamp the furthest, then I think Pitt would be the team that has to be dropped, they already have that market.

Texas, Missouri (picks up the KC & St.Louis markets) and Syracuse or Rutgers makes the most sense. I have not heard UConn's name tossed in at all, but would be a nice East coast market as well.
From multiple reports, here are the rumors I have heard:

Pitt - yes we have that market...but they are an old time rival with Penn State.
Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse - all gets us an east coast pull, Rutgers gets us NY, UConn more the Boston market.
Missouri - gets us more west and south...offers another rival for Illini
Texas - Huge gain for us in the south.

Like I said, all speculation...but what I have read is big 10 won't just go one team....they want three.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Missouri............... You know..of all the teams you listed, Id see Missouri as the one who athletically would get butt :hump: d off the face of the planet by the rest of the new Big 10.

I dont think they could hang in academically either....

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Also, whats really best for our recruiting... No offense, but Im not looking to expand our reach into the north or the west. We do just fine with home grown talent, so what would they prefer....

Texas/USC and Texas/Oklahoma would be slam dunk nation-wide telecasts. Other than that I cant think of a consistent Pac-10 football opponent for us that would have a national footprint.

Texas/Ohio State, Texas/Penn State, Texas/Oklahoma, and maybe Texas/Iowa might have a national footprint.

Every 18 year old recruit we go after thinks he is going to be in the NFL. Being Big 10 would theorectically mean if you play for us, you get to be seen in the NE, Midwest, and South, and its every week your on TV.

Both of them have such good points. Whomever voted stay with the 12, nice idea, but if the conference flops if screws us, and Id rather not have us being the guy left holding the check when everyone has left the table, especially since I think from an academic and athletic standpoint we are the class of the conference.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I voted for "other option." Texas should join the NFL. If not that, a super mega conference with Florida, Oklahoma, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, North Carolina, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, A&M, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, & Washington. This conference will have relegation, so the programs at the bottom will be replaced time to time by others.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
So basically all those schools just band together and kick everyone else to Division 1.5A LOL.

Seriously Dome. Both sides sound good.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I say join the Big 10.

If the Big Ten invites Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma or Missouri, then joining the Big Ten may make sense for Texas. If it is just Texas getting the invite, it is a terrible deal for the Longhorns. Travel, weather, geography. It doesn't make any sense.

Phicinfan

Administrator
You all are missing the big picture here.

Yes, geographically you don't help Texas. But by joining the big 10, and starting the super conf. they now own most chances for bowl appearances as well as national TV markets...they don't reach now being in the Big 12. There is money out east folks....and adding Texas south, and a couple Eastern Schools, the Big 10 would OWN most major markets...and cover at least three time zones.

Only adding west won't do what Big 10 wants. They want to expand in both directions.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
You all are missing the big picture here.

Yes, geographically you don't help Texas. But by joining the big 10, and starting the super conf. they now own most chances for bowl appearances as well as national TV markets...they don't reach now being in the Big 12.

If that's the case, it would make for sense for Texas to join the Super Pac-10. Between the hypothetical super conferences, the Pac-10 one better fits Texas. Miller & I were discussing $ earlier, but the big $ will follow Texas to whatever superconference it joins. They need to look at all the factors before making the decision since the $ will come regardless.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds publicly states he thinks Texas is where it needs to be.

Personally, I dont think Dodds is that foolish. I also anticipate Mack Brown taking over as AD when Dodds goes here in a couple years.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds publicly states he thinks Texas is where it needs to be.

In a perfect world Notre Dame joins the Big Ten, the Pac-10 stays at the perfect number 10, Texas stays in a local conference, and Texas/Pac-10 keep racking up the national titles while the Big Ten schools use their extra money to fill the budget gaps due to the extraordinary regional economic malaise there.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
In a perfect world Notre Dame joins the Big Ten, the Pac-10 stays at the perfect number 10, Texas stays in a local conference, and Texas/Pac-10 keep racking up the national titles while the Big Ten schools use their extra money to fill the budget gaps due to the extraordinary regional economic malaise there.
yeah...because the Pac-10 wins so many national titles in football....:rolleyes:

Hate to break it to ya, but the Big Ten has the same number of National Titles as the Pac-10 the last decade.....1....and they have more NC game appearances as well than the Pac-10....3-2.....

Big Ten also has more men's basketball championships this past decade (1) than the Pac-10 (0)

Neither confrence has a women's basketball championship, but both have 1 runner-up.

Pac-10 does have 2 CWS

Big 10 has 4 Hockey Championships

Big 10 has 6 Wrestling Champiosnhips

Pac 10 has 7 Women's softball championships

Women's Volleyball they both do well: Pac-10 5, Big 10 3

Pac-10 has 1 swimming championship

So exactly where are all these Pac-10 championships you make up in your mind that the Big 10 does not have?? Looks like they both stack up pretty good. Sucks when the facts have to get in the way of your wonderful story huh.....

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Natl. titles last 25 years:

Football: Pac-10 3, Big Ten 3
Basketball: Big Ten 3, Pac-10 2
W. Basketball: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 1
Baseball: Pac-10 6, Big Ten 0
Softball: Pac-10 20, Big Ten 1
W. Volleyball: Pac-10 11, Big Ten 4
M. Volleyball: Pac-10 11, Big Ten 2
M. Golf: Pac-10 8, Big Ten 1
W. Golf: Pac-10 13, Big Ten 0
M. Cross Country: Pac-10 6, Big Ten 3
W. Cross Country: Pac-10 7, Big Ten 1
M. Gymnastics: Pac-10 8, Big Ten 8
W. Gymnastics: Pac-10 5, Big Ten 0
Fencing: Big Ten 13, Pac-10 0
M. Rowing: Pac-10 8, Big Ten 1
W. Rowing: Pac-10 6, Big Ten 0
M. Soccer: Big 10 6, Pac-10 4
W. Soccer: Pac-10 1, Big Ten 0
M. Swimming: Pac-10 8, Big Ten 1
W. Swimming: Pac-10 10, Big Ten 0
M. Indoor Track: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 1
W. Indoor Track: Pac-10 4, Big Ten 0
M. Outdoor Track: Pac-10 3, Big Ten 0
W. Outdoor Track: Pac-10 4, Big Ten 0
M. Tennis: Pac-10 17, Big Ten 1
W. Tennis: Pac-10 15, Big Ten 0
M. Water Polo: Pac-10 23, Big Ten 0
W. Water Polo: Pac-10 9, Big Ten 0
Wrestling: Big Ten 16, Pac-10 1
W. Lacrosse: Big Ten 7, Pac-10 0
Curling: Pac-10 1, Big Ten 1

Total championships: Pac-10 218, Big Ten 74

Weighted Championship index: Pac-10 1376, Big Ten 844

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Hate to break it to ya, but the Big Ten has the same number of National Titles as the Pac-10 the last decade.....1....and they have more NC game appearances as well than the Pac-10....3-2.....

Over the last decade:

Football: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 1
M. Basketball: Big Ten 1, Pac-10 0
Baseball: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 0
Softball: Pac-10 8, Big Ten 1
W Volleyball: Pac-10 5, Big Ten 3
M/W Cross Country: Pac-10 9, Big Ten 1
field hockey: Big Ten 1, Pac-10 0
M/W Hockey: Big Ten 9, Pac-10 0
Fencing: Big Ten 6, Pac-10 0
M/W Golf: Pac-10 8, Big Ten 1
M/W Gymnastics: Pac-10 5, Big Ten 4
W Lacrosse: Big Ten 5, Pac-10 0
M/W Rowing: Pac-10 10, Big Ten 1
M/W Soccer: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 2
M/WTennis: Pac-10 10, Big Ten 1
M/W Swimming: Pac-10 3, Big Ten 0
M/W Indoor Track: Pac-10 6, Big Ten 1
M/W Outdoor Track: Pac-10 4, Big Ten 0
M Volleyball: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 1
M/W Waterpolo: Pac-10 19, Big Ten 0
Wrestling: Big Ten 6, Pac-10 0

Total championships: Pac-10 95, Big Ten 45

Weighted Championship index: Pac-10 616, Big Ten 372

Misc Football:

Rose Bowl wins: Pac-10 5, Big Ten 1
Orange Bowl wins: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 2
Fiesta Bowl wins: Big Ten 3, Pac-10 2
BCS bowl wins: Pac-10 9, Big Ten 6

Pac-10 vs. Big Ten head to head: Pac-10 32 wins, Big Ten 21 wins (.604 winning % for Pac-10)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Sucks when the facts have to get in the way of your wonderful story huh.....

LOL! You tell me if it sucks, I wouldn't know!

Mighty Big Ten, lol!

Last decade:

Rose Bowl wins: Pac-10 5, Big Ten 1
Orange Bowl wins: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 2
Fiesta Bowl wins: Big Ten 3, Pac-10 2
BCS bowl wins: Pac-10 9, Big Ten 6

Pac-10 vs. Big Ten head to head:
Pac-10 32 wins, Big Ten 21 wins (.604 winning % for Pac-10)

maverick824

Over the last decade:

M/W Cross Country: Pac-10 9, Big Ten 1
field hockey: Big Ten 1, Pac-10 0
M/W Hockey: Big Ten 9, Pac-10 0
Fencing: Big Ten 6, Pac-10 0
M/W Gymnastics: Pac-10 5, Big Ten 4
W Lacrosse: Big Ten 5, Pac-10 0
M/W Rowing: Pac-10 10, Big Ten 1
M/W Soccer: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 2
M/WTennis: Pac-10 10, Big Ten 1
M/W Swimming: Pac-10 3, Big Ten 0
M/W Indoor Track: Pac-10 6, Big Ten 1
M/W Outdoor Track: Pac-10 4, Big Ten 0
M Volleyball: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 1
M/W Waterpolo: Pac-10 19, Big Ten 0

man, when you add in the water polo stats, I guess you really do have us crushed in national titles! :rolllaugh:

All these sports listed, while being awesome competitions for the students who are on scholarship to play for the school in them, are simply not relevant when you're trying to make a case for conference superiority. I guarantee you, when the Texas administration sits down with the athletic department to discuss the potential deals offered by the Big 10 and/or Pac 10, they will not have the FIRST discussion about a move's possible ramifications to their (insert sport from above) team.

Are these great sports for the program? Sure. All sports are good for any university athletic program. Would a majority of Americans want to watch any of them as much as we do the others? Sorry.

And before the point is made that those are the sports shown on the Big Ten network in the spring when there's no football/basketball on, I have a rebuttal. The only time someone's watching the Big Ten network during the spring is for the spring football game coverage for the teams, or they're drunk and ready to pass out at 3 in the morning and an abstract thought popped into their head that watching a Big Ten rowing meet might be "awesome."