USC vs Ohio State Game Thread

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Saturday September 12, 2009 8pm ET Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH
30.gif
#3 University of Southern California Trojans (1-0)
194.gif
#8 Ohio State University Buckeyes (1-0)

Key Players:
USC
QB Matt Barkley - 15/19 233yds 2 TDs 1 INT
RB Joe McKnight - 14 carries 145 yds 2 TDs/1 rec 21 yds
FS Taylor Mays - 6 tackles

Last Game: USC 56, San Jose St 3

Ohio State
QB Terrelle Pryor - 14/21 174yds 1 TD 1 INT/6 carries 30 yds 1 TD
RB Dan Herron - 17 carries 72 yds 1 TD/4 rec 29 yds
SS Kurt Coleman - 9 tackles, 1 INT, 1 FF

Last Game: Ohio State 31, Navy 27

Last year Ohio State rolled into Los Angeles with a freshman QB and left on the bad side of a 35-3 beatdown at hands of USC.

This year USC rolls into Columbus with a freshman QB. How will they leave?

History aside, some will point to one statistic from opening week. USC rolled up 342 yards and 6 TDs on the ground against San Jose St. Ohio State gave up 186 yards and 2 TDs to Navy.

Others will point out Ohio State only managed 153 yards rushing against Navy.

So what does this mean? Absolutely nothing. Ohio State had to hold off Navy on an intercepted 2 point conversion late in the 4th QTR. USC was down 3-0 to San Jose St after 4 drives. In the end both teams won to keep the luster on this matchup.

Discuss away. Can Ohio State pull the upset? Will USC roll?

bodey24

Staff member
I will be rooting for Ohio State but personally I feel like USC will win big again this year.

How does everyone else feel about the 7 point spread on this game?

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I hope OSU gives USC all they can handle this week. Want the Trojans battered, bruised, & jet lagged when they get into Seattle in a week and a half.

maverick824

Despite being a Michigan fan.........this is probably the closest you'll see me to wearing scarlet for a game........the fact is, the Big Ten NEEDS OSU to win this game. The conference's credibility as a whole is in the toilet with Michigan's struggles, OSU's big game/bowl struggles over the past few years, and I don't think I really want to listen to ESPN if OSU gets wiped AND Michigan gets wiped against ND. Do I think they have the weaponry to get it done? A LOT will depend on the improvement of the offensive line. Navy found plenty of ways to get early hits on the running backs, and had it not been Terrelle Pryor at QB, I'm guessing they'd have had several sacks. Tress needs to turn Pryor loose running the ball. If Pryor uses this game to sit back and be a pocket passer, forget about it. Get the kid out of the pocket, into space, and let him create, that's what he's been doing his entire career. Take advantage of Barkley's first time in a big game atmosphere and pressure the bejesus out of the kid, DARE him to beat you. And finally, it's the Shoe at night.....as Miller loves to remind me.....NO ONE wins at night in the Shoe.......

OSU 27
USC 24

Jvirtue55

The Big Ten is over rated and USC will Roll come on Navy gave OSU all it could handle. Now think of USCs speed I dont even think it will be close
And OSU should change the name of the stadium its not even a horse shoe any more cause they wanted to get more seats in there

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
good game.....but this one was won and lost by the coaches....Pete has balls the size of grapefruits....Tressel has balls the size of a wiener dog.....and his conservative bull shit cost them the game...

Mike

Administrator
( I forgot about, or didn't notice this thread until now)

In terms of coaching, Tressel was clearly out coached throughout the game. I honestly felt like Ohio State should have been the favorite given the game being played in Columbus, the revenge factor, and the fact that the Ohio State defense was able to tee off on an extremely green freshman quarterback playing in an extremely hostile environment.

The Buckeyes defense did a very good job rattling the freshmen QB during the middle of the game, but they seemed to completely back off on that last drive, which was stupid.

At the same time, that last offensive possession by the Buckeyes made absolutely no sense. Was that Tressel or was it more a case of Pryor being overwhelmed?

Bottom line, Pryor made far too many mistakes in this game. Barkley struggled for much of the game, but for a freshmen, seemed to play a better game and improve throughout the game. Pryor seemed to regress throughout the game.

The Buckeyes should have sealed that game late when they had the lead, but whether it was coaching, or Pryor, something was clearly missing.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
bullshit....Barkley sucked...Joe McNight was the difference in the last drive NOT Barkley.....he was not the difference and did not win the game. Pryor did struggle, but so did Barkley and he did not improve, he was not impressive the entire game. now McNight taking over the last drive and willing that team to a victory, now that was impressive!

As far as who I put the blame on.....this one goes on Tress as hard as it is...Pryor didn't win the game that's for sure, but the TEAM was in position to and their coach didn't give them the oportunity.

Mike

Administrator
bullshit....Barkley sucked...Joe McNight was the difference in the last drive NOT Barkley.....he was not the difference and did not win the game. Pryor did struggle, but so did Barkley and he did not improve, he was not impressive the entire game. now McNight taking over the last drive and willing that team to a victory, now that was impressive!

Barkley got hurt in the 2nd half, and the guy is a freaking freshmen who wasn't expected to play this season.

And, he is playing on likely the toughest field for a road QB to play on. Give the kid a little respect for that.

And yes, Mcnight was awesome.

Point here is Pryor showed nothing but implosion when the chips were down. Whether is was confusion between he and the coach and whether he or the coach was a fault is debatable, but if Pryor and the offense doesn't have their heads up their ass late in that game, the Buckeyes walk out with a win

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Bottomline the Buckeyes made this game MUCH more interesting than anyone thought, and they found a way to NOT get it done.