***UPDATE 8/15***SEC Rejects Texas A&M

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Word today is Texas A&M's Board of Regents will meet on August 22nd to install a new Chancellor for the system and to discuss a move to the SEC.

Aggie lawyers are already hard at work on the legal and financial aspects of the move, including what may be an attempt by the Texas Legislature to block the move, in addition to the State of Texas withholding money from the "Permanent University Fund".

As of December 2008 figures, the PUF holds approximately $8.8 billion in investments and 2,100,000 acres of land located in 21 mainly West Texas counties. The fund is split 2/3rds to the UT system and 1/3 to the Texas A&M system.

Proponents of the deal feel the Aggies have reached the time to stand alone and remove themselves from the shadow of the University of Texas, but the underlying reason seems to be the ESPN funded Longhorn Network.

The SEC gains a prestigious research university by adding the Aggies, and would gain a strong foothold in the fertile Houston and East Texas recruiting grounds currently enjoyed to some extent only by LSU. The SEC also has the right to renegotiate its monsterous TV deals in the event a school is added to the conference, so this is only a win for the SEC.

Opponents to the deal argue Texas A&M would be trashed football wise and only hope to become the 6th or 7th best school in the SEC while everyone from LSU to Florida raids the recruiting coffers. They also dont want to give up the rivalry with Texas.

Texas fans in and of themselves seem largely supportive of the move, ridding themselves of a "little brother" who fights their revenue producing machine at every turn.

Other signs pointing toward A&M leaving:
Texas Govenor, ardent Aggie, and likely Presidential Candidate Rick Perry has not condemned the move as he did during the "Big 12 Missle Crisis" of last summer when the super conference idea was in play. Perry's political camp sees the move, which would be effective for the 2012 season according to rumors, as a chance to further his presidential campaign by getting the Aggie name (and hence his) into the southeastern US.

The Chancellor and Board of Regents memebers who blocked the Aggie move to the Pac-16 or SEC last summer have been replaced, and the replacements are rumored to be eager to move to the SEC.

Unconfirmed reports out of Norman and Austin have OU and Texas in talks about keeping the conference together and trying to add another school with the TV deals coming up for the conference in the next couple years. Further rumors suggest Texas and ESPN may be willing to pay whatever is needed to get TCU out of its move to the Big East next year to replace the Aggies.

Though nothing has been spoken of yet, during the crisis last year, overtures were make to the University of Arkansas about a move to the Big 12 with the guarentee the new TV contracts would pay them what the SEC paid, but the move never gained any steam since Texas, Texas A&M, and OU appeared settled with the 10 team idea, this coming before anyone knew just how much money would be involved in the Longhorn Network.

An NCAA meeting will take place August 22nd regarding the LHN and possible airing of HS football games. Some research has also been done into the viability of making the LHN the Big 12 Network on the part of Texas, and on ESPNs part trying to get out of the deal.

More to follow.....

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
re: ***UPDATE 8/12***Texas A&M to SEC heating up, possible move August 22nd

This is getting alot of discussion here on the local talking head homer Razorback radio shows. The whispers are The SEC desperately wants 2 teams added to the West and East divisions. Interesting one I heard yesterday was this A&M info, and possibly OU or Okie St. If they get 2 strong schools in the West, Alabama and Auburn would then move to the East

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A

I bet you would. Much easier access to our HS players and you get a team to kick the **** out of every year.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A

Orangebloods.com - D-Day appears imminent for 10-member Big 12

This is a free link to a story posted on Yahoo Sports, written by Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com and 104.9 The Horn, ESPN Austin yesterday.

Since he wrote this, more sources have told him as of this morning the meeting of the SEC presidents will be to extend the invitation and the 22nd will be Texas A&M accepting the bid.

Zach

re: ***UPDATE 8/15***SEC Rejects Texas A&M

College football just got jealous of Favre and all his attention so they just started doing it on a bigger scale

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator

I bet you would. Much easier access to our HS players and you get a team to kick the **** out of every year.

LOL! We've had a bit of success in Texas through the years Sarge but I suspect that you're right in that this will open Texas up more aqnd more to the rest of the SEC. In my fondest football dream UT would join us as well.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A

It doesnt make fiscal sense for us to join the SEC.

New information today indicates the Texas Legislature wants to have a meeting on August 16th with all parties involved in this.

In response, Texas A&M has moved their vote up to August 15th.

As it sits right now, its a 90-95% certainty the Aggies become the SEC's newest whore.

Zach

As it sits right now, its a 90-95% certainty the Aggies become the SEC's newest whore.

Might as well try something new - after being treated by Texas as their little bitch all these years going whoring probably sounds fun.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator

If the Big 12 falls apart, texas only has texas to blame.....you want to treat other schools as also rans, don't be shocked when they tell you to go fock yourself and find a better arrangement.

My guess is A&M leaves and the SEC pulls in FSU in the east. They then start to look for 2 more dancing partners, one more from the west and likely Clemson or Virginia Tech in the East.

This will start a mad scramble by what is left in the Big 12 to find a stable home. This also will start the ACC disruption. My guess is this will be the moves that start the mega conference moves that everyone thought was coming last year. Texas, may end up independent for a few years when it's all said and done. Having their own network may block them from some other suitors. Pac 10 may work, have fun with the travel Longhorns.....

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A

If the Big 12 falls apart, texas only has texas to blame.....you want to treat other schools as also rans, don't be shocked when they tell you to go fock yourself and find a better arrangement.

Wrong. In 2007, Texas AD DeLoss Dodds met with the people at Texas A&M and proposed to them a shared 50.50 network between the schools with the profils split straight down the middle. The Aggies didnt want to share the money, so dont sit there in Buckeye land and think for one second Texas is the bad guy in this. No one else in the conference really cared all that much about this except Texas A&M, the same school who ****ed us all out of going to the Pac-16 because they got cold feet. Now a year later they want to tuck tail and run. Screw em.

My guess is A&M leaves and the SEC pulls in FSU in the east. They then start to look for 2 more dancing partners, one more from the west and likely Clemson or Virginia Tech in the East.

My understanding is VT and FSU dont really have any interest in this. It hurts their football profile and makes a BCS bid almost impossible to obtain.

This will start a mad scramble by what is left in the Big 12 to find a stable home. This also will start the ACC disruption. My guess is this will be the moves that start the mega conference moves that everyone thought was coming last year. Texas, may end up independent for a few years when it's all said and done. Having their own network may block them from some other suitors. Pac 10 may work, have fun with the travel Longhorns.....

Nope. The Pac-12 commissioner is a TV guy. He already sold the regional networks to the highest bidders, with his only concern being the winners pay the conference. Texas does not want to go independant and wont do so just because ESPN thinks they pull the strings around here. They would either rework that deal to pay the cash to the Pac-10 or just drop the network.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator

Holy crap. ESPN is reporting that it will be 4 schools now joining the SEC: Texas A&M, Missouri, Florida State and one other I can't remember now. Crud...we have our first official Super Conf. Cripes.

Look for Big 10 to now push heavily to add UConn and or Rutgers for bigger East coast exposure, and again push to add Notre Dame....

WesDawg

'Burghapologist

I would think this could be the domino that begins significant ripples, possibly the demise of the ACC and Big 12 in football. The time is now for the Big East to bring back Va Tech, Miami, and Boston College. Also extend invites to UNC, NC St., Virginia, and Maryland and create a 2-division (North/South) conference that would then have the chops to compete with the Big 10 and Pac 10, and more importantly, justify their automatic BCS status. Georgia Tech and Clemson should probably start asking about SEC membership to intensify their existing in-state rivalries with Georgia and So. Carolina.

If the Big 12 cares about saving the sinking ship, I would suggest taking a bit of power away from UT, prying TCU away from the Big East (which makes no sense anyway), and extending invites to Houston and SMU. That would at least get them back to 10 decent programs and save the auto-BCS berth. No title game, but who cares? Everyone would play the entire conference each year with 3 non-conference fluff games.
I think the most galling thing I've heard on the radio over the past 3 days here in Razorbackland was that if everything starts falling apart, Texas will go indy, then ask Notre Dame about joining forces to make their own conference. Sorry Johnny, but that's childish elitist "take my ball and go home" type stuff that's really not good for college sports.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A

We didnt take our ball and go home Wes, the Aggies tried to...but however, the SEC has REJECTED Texas A&M.

SEC Rejects Texas A&M in Most Cryptic Way Possible

Now comes the interesting part with the rest of us doing business with a school that doesnt want to be in the conference, but at least it re-affirmed the ties between OU and Texas.

I would still like the conference to at least make some overtures to BYU and ND for football only.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Word on the street is that they couldn't find another team to come in with the aggies

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Funny how Slive said he could get on the phone and be up to 16 teams in 15 minutes.....

Id read they would have likely had to offer a team like Louisville or Missouri. Just not worth it IMO to damage the product.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Just read something new about this story. Looked pretty new as it just came out 2 hrs ago. TAMU will still be going to the SEC in due time but only after they cut ties from the B12. New tag along team sounds like OU also coming to the SEC, leaving UT, with their new fancy tv deal to play KU, Kstate and ISU. The article then went on to suggest the MWC and WAC conference could become players and a landing spot for the B12 scraps left over. The other 2 teams going to the SEC, by rumor, are FSU and Clemson. Not really seeing that happen tho. FSU had the chance to do so before joining the ACC and didn't, knowing they couldn't compete/dominate in the SEC. Clemson would be an interesting add tho since the USC/Clemson rivalry would actually mean more than just bragging rights.

On a side note, hearing the Big East is talking to the ACC and Big 12 on maybe joining up all together for one big super conference, well the teams left over after all the SEC movement. Which brings me to the likes of USF. Aligned in the big east makes no sence at all. Now if the big east/acc/big 12 did come together then it would make more sence. If not then i'd like to see USF come to the SEC.

On another side note, NDs days of being independant are coming to an end. When all this realignment starts to take place , they better make a move and jump into a conference. Days of being indy is just about over, as BYU will feel really quick.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Official word coming from OU, Texas, and everyone else but Missouri is they want to stay together. Texas A&M is going to be given a quick deadline by the conference to either be in or out, and if they say in they will have to sign a contract with titantic penalties for early withdrawl, including waiver of any right of appeal or negotiation for the exit fees.

And dont get me wrong, ESPN has already gotten way out of line with some of the junk they want to pull for the network. I think the general consensus is we are willing to make it a Big 12 Network, but ESPN is going to have to go along with it.

Kansas State will also be launching their own network.

The ACC and Big East have reportedly confirmed their inter-conference relationships, so no worries there.

Personally, I think if the Aggies want out, just ****ing go already. I also think for all the accolades the SEC gets, at the end of the day why would schools like OU, FSU, VT, etc etc want to give up an easier path to a BCS game and national championship for the war that is the SEC.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
There is no way USF is going to the SEC. They are a commuter school and bring nothing to the table the SEC would want. Adding for the sake of adding is stupid. I could see ACC (especially when Miami gets the death penalty)

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Yeah i've heard the Missouri rumors also. I agree with the wanna go then just go attitude. Don't drag it out then change your mind just to change it again. (see Bret Favre) . I do think TAMU would be good for the SEC tho, from what i have read and understand there is alread a bit of a rivalry with LSU and Arkansas, that only gets bigger by joining.

USF to the ACC does make more since and honestly, dont think UF would want any Florida based team join in . Kinda why suprised of the FSU talk.