Top Schools of the BCS Era

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
A couple of other schools felt the same way when they played us in the title games King, they learned different. I'm not willing to conceed that USC would have beat us even if every other Outlaw feels that way. You have to play the game to know the answer and it didn't happen.

Sure, we will never know because they didn't play. The system is broken and both are Natl. Champions. Ignoring USC's rightful share of the title is insane, and something I take issue with. I strongly believe USC was head and shoulders above everyone that year, as do many others. Because the system is broken, we should not ignore their greatness. If Miller doesn't want to acknowledge USC's title, should I not recognize LSU's title?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
A couple of other schools felt the same way when they played us in the title games King, they learned different. I'm not willing to conceed that USC would have beat us even if every other Outlaw feels that way. You have to play the game to know the answer and it didn't happen.

No one gave us a shot against USC either. Auburn never got the shot against USC.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
USC was recognized as National Champions that year. In fact they are regarded by many as the better of the two national champions of that year.
They were....by the AP....NOT the BCS, since I am talking about the BCS era, I am keeping the analysis to this. I don't like the system, but it is the system we have. In the BCS era there is nothing that is split, there is only one Crystal Football at the end of the year.

This thread succeeded my initial post.
Good call King, forgot I combined our posts to make this thread. Due to that, can't hold the 10 years against ya at all.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Roger that King that makes sense then.

Of all the schools that feel slighted by the BCS I feel Auburn has the biggest bitch of all.

FTR I too feel the BCS is bull but it is the system we have in place for now and as a SEC fan it's hard to complain very loudly.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
King inspired me here......so I put together my own formula based on what I feel should be acknowledged and rewarded over the entire 13 year history of the BCS. I had no preconceived results in this, in fact, I don't agree with the ending result completely, though I like it ;)

Here is the exact formula I used to come up with this. 1 pt a win; BCS appearance 2 pts; Win BCS game, 4 more pts; if it was a title game, 2 more pts; win the title game, 10 more pts.
Works out to the following bonues after the wins are calculated:
BCS Appearance - Loss - 2 pts
BCS Appearance - win - 6 pts
BCS Title Game Appearance - loss - 4 pts
BCS Championship - 18 pts

With the formula, here is how the teams rank. To qualify you had to either win a BCS title or make 3 BCS games.

1. Ohio State - 189 pts
2. Florida - 182 pts
3. Oklahoma - 180 pts
4. USC - 176 pts* **
5T. LSU - 165 pts*
5T. Texas - 165 pts
7. Miami - 155 pts
8. Florida St - 150 pts
9. Virgina Tech - 146 pts
10. Georgia - 135 pts
11. Auburn - 134 pts
12. Wisconsin - 132 pts
13. Tennessee - 132 pts
14T. Alabama - 128 pts
14T. Oregon - 128 pts
16. Michigan - 120 pts
17. Notre Dame - 98 pts

If wondering, here is how they stack up in terms of wins in the BCS era:
1. Oklahoma - 134
2. Texas - 133
3. Ohio State - 131
4. Virginia Tech - 130
5. Florida - 126
6. USC - 124
7. Georgia - 121
8. Wisconsin - 118
9. Florida St - 118
10. Miami - 117
11. LSU - 117
12. Oregon - 116
13. Tennessee - 111
14. Auburn - 110
15. Michigan - 108
16. Alabama - 106
17. Notre Dame - 92

Ohio State ends up at the top due to consistency. They have a great win total and the appearances and wins give them a big boost. Title games help as well. Being in the mix in 9 of 13 seasons and not having a real bad stretch was good enough to over come the one additional title that Florida has to their credit. Oklahoma is 3rd for much for the same reason Ohio State is at the top....wins and appearances. USC was a strong 4th before a small drop to the teams who tied for 5th (Texas and LSU).

*Note, if you split the LSU title with USC; LSU would fall to 6 with 160; USC would go to 3 with 181
**Note, if you acknowledge the vacated title from USC they fall to #6 with 158

One thing seems certain, USC seems to be the most controversial school of the BCS ;)

maverick824

The BCS is a crappy system, but it's the one forced down our throats every year, so your points are valid.....BUT....

(I literally can't believe I'm about to side with Kingdome on something, but....)

The listed thread title is "Top Schools in the BCS Era." It's not "Top BCS Champion programs", or any other variation of, it's just that. The best SCHOOLS. Regardless of any pointless "who woulda won" arguments, the facts from that year are clear-cut. LSU won the BCS Championship game, and won the crystall ball. However, USC won the AP national title, which is still recognized as a national title. The AP was actually still part of the BCS formula at the time, giving it much more merit than it currently holds today. A split title wasn't new to college football then. LSU 's title is always mentioned because the BCS still wants to legitimize itself over any other system. Their belief is if you say USC has a title, it discredits a system who's sole design is to name a unanimous, no-argument about it champ. USC won a recognized national title that year, and I agree that it should hold merit in a debate over who the best program in the past 12 yrs has been. It arguably holds more merit to me than the vacated title.

maverick824

lots of things hurt to say regarding the cesspool in Columbus, but I can still be honest with my opinions about em LOL.....

It's pretty cut and dry for me, honestly. No one has more trips to the big bowls than OSU, and they have won the majority of em. The 2 shellings in the title games I can overlook. They still deserved to be there. Florida's titles are nice, but they play in a conference where 2 bids are the norm. A couple more trips puts them over. Oklahoma is a carbon copy of OSU's consistency in getting in the games year in and year out, they have the title just as OSU does, but too many of those games are losses to teams you'd expect them to beat.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
They were....by the AP....NOT the BCS, since I am talking about the BCS era, I am keeping the analysis to this. I don't like the system, but it is the system we have. In the BCS era there is nothing that is split, there is only one Crystal Football at the end of the year.

There is a split, and that year is an example as USC was ranked the #1 team in country prior to the bowls and after the bowls. The voters of the poll that voted after the bowls recognized USC as the Natl. Champion, and if I had a vote, I would vote for them.

I made a point to keep politics out of my rankings for this very reason. Both USC and LSU should be recognized. If you just recognize one of the two, USC gets my vote (and the vote of 3/4th of the voters that year).

The BCS is a broken joke. I want to measure the best programs, not get wrapped up in BS politics.

If can find my old best over 25 template, I'll fire that up. Sarge probably remembers when I used to post that list annually.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
System isn't broken, it shows just how undeserving ND was to get those 3 gifts.....Boise is indeed a better program, but in the end are as irrelevant as ND due to the conference that they have beat up on. I had to cut it off somewhere simply due to time and felt 3 games was a good benchmark and wanted to at least include the champions.....this isn't about the bottom of the list, it's about the top and it's a very realistic look at who the top programs have been.

And again, since the BCS system is the system we have in place, it is what I use. Doing otherwise I feel leads to me putting a personal bias into this since I would be putting my personal feelings into it. I am trying to keep what I "believe" out of the mix and go with what was given us on the field.

But your difference in opinion on this is duly noted.

Quick question on your ranking (any chance you'd do it for the 13 years of the BCS system?), how many conference titles do you credit Ohio State in your point total?

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
System isn't broken, it shows just how undeserving ND was to get those 3 gifts.....Boise is indeed a better program, but in the end are as irrelevant as ND due to the conference that they have beat up on.

Notre Dame doesn't even have a conference. They are an example of the broken BCS, just like #1 USC getting shut out of the title game or the multiple examples of undefeated teams not getting a chance to play for the title. The BCS is a joke. From sports columns to blogs to message boards to talks shows, the BCS is overwhelmingly dismissed as a joke. It is a flawed, broken, political system.

Notre Dame's B.S. BCS bowl appearances are highway robbery. I will not reward Notre Dame bonus points for a BCS bowl appearance when they robbed someone considerably more deserving. The BCS system is a joke!

I will do a 30 year top 25 list some time this week. Screw doing a BS BCS oriented joke that rewards frauds like Notre Send Someone More Deserving to the Back of the Bus.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
how many conference titles do you credit Ohio State in your point total?

For the Big Ten I give Conference title credit to the team going to the BCS title game or Rose Bowl, which ever is greater. The silly Big Ten and their dodgeball schedule doesn't produce a champion as equal as the round robin Pac-10 or championship game SEC/ACC/B12. Now with their two pathetically named divisions that they are too stupid to rename, the Big Can't Do Simple Addition will now produce a champion on par with the other Big 5 conferences.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
For the Big Ten I give Conference title credit to the team going to the BCS title game or Rose Bowl, which ever is greater. The silly Big Ten and their dodgeball schedule doesn't produce a champion as equal as the round robin Pac-10 or championship game SEC/ACC/B12. Now with their two pathetically named divisions that they are too stupid to rename, the Big Can't Do Simple Addition will now produce a champion on par with the other Big 5 conferences.
OK, all I need to know....no consistency......if your giving credit for co-titles you should at least be consistent with it and not just when it works in a manner which you personally like.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
See, this isn't a does King like the BCS system topic or is the BCS system a joke topic......

It is just a simple look at who the best teams of a definable era in College Football have been under the system that we have in place. As far as the BCS being dismissed.....correct me if I am wrong, but looks like it is still here and still the way the College Football Champion is crowned......guess it hasn't been dismissed quite yet. Everyone wants a playoff.....but we don't have one, we have the BCS.

And if you want to continue to dodge the meat of the post and concentrate on #17 on a list of 17....have at it....

Notre Dame doesn't even have a conference. They are an example of the broken BCS, just like #1 USC getting shut out of the title game or the multiple examples of undefeated teams not getting a chance to play for the title. The BCS is a joke. From sports columns to blogs to message boards to talks shows, the BCS is overwhelmingly dismissed as a joke. It is a flawed, broken, political system.

Notre Dame's B.S. BCS bowl appearances are highway robbery. I will not reward Notre Dame bonus points for a BCS bowl appearance when they robbed someone considerably more deserving. The BCS system is a joke!

I will do a 30 year top 25 list some time this week. Screw doing a BS BCS oriented joke that rewards frauds like Notre Send Someone More Deserving to the Back of the Bus.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
OK, all I need to know....no consistency......if your giving credit for co-titles you should at least be consistent with it and not just when it works in a manner which you personally like.

There is consistency. I give the title to the championship game winner or the conference winner that wins the conference tie-breakers and receives the BCS berth. I didn't want to give points to co-champions, because it rewards the Big Ten's silly dodgeball schedule.