Top four QB prospects raise glaring red flags

bobbeaux

Top four QB prospects raise glaring red flags - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Call this the Year of the Terrifying Quarterback in the NFL draft.

Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett have seemingly redefined one of the NFL’s greatest nicknames. They are the modern Fearsome Foursome.

And not in a good way.

“All I will say is that I’m glad I don’t need a quarterback this year,” said an NFC general manager, who went on to say plenty more. That GM was one of three executives who had particularly harsh comments for the quartet of quarterbacks who are expected to go in the first two rounds.

“If you’re telling me I have to bet the future of my team and my job on one of these guys, I would be really nervous,” the NFC GM said. “It’s tough enough to take a quarterback to begin with. But then you put these guys in the equation? No, thanks.”

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
It really depends on which team they go to and what system their put into i think. Of the 4 i like Locker the most then Mallett, even with his so called lack of leadership skills.

Runnik's Hambones

OMG, I can't stand Locker! His film is horrible! I don't care about how great his "technique" is, the guy flat out blows on tape, and I'm not talking about those flashy highlight videos on youtube. Watch a whole game and point out 5 things that he's good at. I've never seen anything from the guy that would make me want to draft him except his attitude and his work ethic. I can't question those 2 things but on the field, he's been complete garbage, IMO.

Rankings: Cam Newton, Ryan Mallet, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
So you'll take a ? mark, a man w/o leadership skills, and an over rated guy with mediocre stats over a guy with good attitude and good work ethic, in that order ? Really seriously ? Of those 4 listed Locker would still be my 1st choice then Mallett. But only if those were the only 4 left. Still like Dalton and the guy from Nevada better and would even take Ponder over Newton.

Runnik's Hambones

Yes, yes, and again, yes. Honestly, I was just listing my top 4 out of those 4. If you really want to see how low Locker is on my list, he's #6.

Cam Newton, Ryan Mallet, Blane Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Colin Kaepernick, then Jake Locker.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
So you'll take a ? mark, a man w/o leadership skills, and an over rated guy with mediocre stats over a guy with good attitude and good work ethic, in that order ? Really seriously ? Of those 4 listed Locker would still be my 1st choice then Mallett. But only if those were the only 4 left. Still like Dalton and the guy from Nevada better and would even take Ponder over Newton.

I will agree newton is a ? I still question the man w/o leadership skills.

I find it funny, as the year has gone on, the reasons not to like Mallett has changed. First it was off field, then it was drugs, then it was lack of leadership. Key to me is each story changes as he has done something to show his ability. You can't TEACH ability. You can teach how to keep out of off field issues. Of all the Qbs, Mallett to me has the best arm, best ability adn best shot to be successful. Gabbert is right behind.

Newton to me is the next Akili Smith. Locker is just a mess. Quite honestly, Ponder and Dalton I think have better chances, in teh right sytems than Locker and Newton.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
And whats the hang up on Cam ? I can't see why everybody has such a hard on for the guy. And what about Dalton ? Where is he on your list?

Now with a 7th involved, same list as yours, i'd go :

Colin, Dalton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder/Mallet( a toss up) and then Cam. And before i chose Cam i'd look if there was a good defensive guy available first. Now i'm going by this as if i was choosing for Jax.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
My rankings: Mallett, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick(sp?), Newton, Locker

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
We're in the middle of a labor dispute. They don't seem that smart to me. National Idiot League is becoming a joke. Starting to wonder if our Gov't runs it.

Runnik's Hambones

I'd throw Dalton right where Locker is. Perhaps a bit ahead of Locker actually. The guy's a leader and wins. In the right system I think Dalton could be more effective than Kaepernick, Ponder, and Locker, it's just that Dalton totally needs a team around him to succeed. He reminds me of Trent Dilfer.

MNJHNSN

if teams are smart, they'll get their dl in the 1st and qb in the 2nd . . . or 3rd

Exactly my point with giving Clausen one more year and taking a top DL in Marcel Dareus. There is no number 1 overall QB in this draft in my mind.