Tomlinson released by San Diego

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Unreal end to an era in football. I was thinking about landing spots given what LT has come on record as his requirements; contender for a Super Bowl with a proven quarterback.

New England jumps off the page at first thought. But two other darkhorse spots could be Houston and Denver. Both are looking for a spark at the runningback position and have some pieces in place to be better (maybe not Super Bowl but we all thought the same about Nawlins', too). I think the proven quarterback thing might be a stretch for Denver but one could look at Houston this past season and make a claim. Any other teams come to mind?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I agree, this is the best timing for all.

Sucks for real SD fans, as LT has been a warrior for that team! He had an amazing run there.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
I don't think timing is an issue. Since Tim Ruskell is out of a job, Tomlinson will probably be on the shelf until a team gets hit with injuries at RB right around training camp time.

mills

Houston comes to mind for me. Houston native and they need a running game... Tomlinson/Slaton could be deadly if Slaton can hold the ball.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Minnesota, if Favre comes back since Chester Taylor's gone.

-OR-

Pittsburgh if Parker's released.. :xpopcorn:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Put him behind a real offensive line and require about 170 carries from him and he will do just fine. Yes, he is 30, No, this isnt Shaun Alexander we are talking about.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
What about Philly? Westbrook is going to be gone, McCoy is taking over the lead. Imagine a 1-2 punch of McCoy and LT2

Coachnorm

Texans owner Bob McNair made it clear in a press conference last week that the team is only interested in veteran running backs that are "on their way up." LT is not.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This potentially could be a hard FA market for Rbs. First you have multiple cases of later drafted backs (and much cheaper) showing they can perform (i.e. Shonn Greene as an example).

Add to that what potentially could be a very competitive Fa market with potential names of: Larry Johnson, Thomas Jones, Chester Taylor, Willie Parker, LT2, Darren Sproles just to start.

As for Houston, be carefull here. Slaton had a bad year last year, but was still producing. I liken his situation to that of Tiki Barber. I would not give up all hope on him ...and assume they will pick high or deal for an expensive option to replace him totally.

Last edited by a moderator:

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Slaton is a good all-around back. Yes he needs to cure the fumble-aya, but that's easily fixable. Arian Foster is the ideal compliment to a RB like Slaton, yet I sorta feel like I'm in the minority when I see him as such. They also have Ryan Moats who proved capable when he was asked to fill in for an injured Slaton. Sure they should draft a developmental guy maybe in the mid-late rounds, but I just don't see that position as a glaring need for them.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
I've been thinking about this and have come to a crossroads; Who the hell is going to carry the rock for the Bolts next year? Hawk is on record as thinking Sproles is best kept in 3rd down and special teams. Michael Bennett sure as heck isn't the answer and they let Gartrell Johnson go to the Giants (dumb, dumb, dumb move IMO).

I guess they are going to go after one of the multitude of retreads listed above and try again in the draft.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I've been thinking about this and have come to a crossroads; Who the hell is going to carry the rock for the Bolts next year? Hawk is on record as thinking Sproles is best kept in 3rd down and special teams. Michael Bennett sure as heck isn't the answer and they let Gartrell Johnson go to the Giants (dumb, dumb, dumb move IMO).

I guess they are going to go after one of the multitude of retreads listed above and try again in the draft.
I have heard rumors they want Thomas Jones if released or maybe go FA for Chester Taylor who wants to be an everydown back again.

I am hoping for Taylor myself.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Taylor would be a great fit but the gamble is that he will be there for the taking. Granted the pool of retread RB's is vast but it is also shallow. Taylor is the gem so far but there are multiple teams that will be after him. What if they whiff and Taylor goes to another team? It just seems like one whopper of a gamble.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
1. Cromartie for Choice.

2. Draft a new CB in the late 1st, this draft class has plenty of good ones.

Problem solved. LOL