Thomas for Holmes?

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
Have been offered Mike Thomas, WR JAC for Santonio Holmes, WR NYJ. The owner has both Jason Hill and Thomas and wants to swap. I don't know that I'm a Thomas fan but he could step up! And Holmes has talent but is on a run first team. What do you guys think? Do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

JScott

Administrator
Have been offered Mike Thomas, WR JAC for Santonio Holmes, WR NYJ. The owner has both Jason Hill and Thomas and wants to swap. I don't know that I'm a Thomas fan but he could step up! And Holmes has talent but is on a run first team. What do you guys think? Do it?

Dynasty or keeper? Scoring system?

gruntbusters

10 team Dynasty league, non PPR standard scoring. You guys are supposed to read my mind with the details..sheesh!

JScott

Administrator
10 team Dynasty league, non PPR standard scoring. You guys are supposed to read my mind with the details..sheesh!

I like Thomas as a quality late round WR2 this year as IMO Garrard will still be the QB well into the season. But the Gabbert will get his shot and you can't expect Thomas' numbers to remain at that WR2 level. So he's a sell high early to mid season candidate in my book.

Holmes is on a run first team but he was last season too and had pretty good numbers. I don't expect Edwards back and his replacement won't take as many targets away.

So stay with Holmes. Or you could even ask for Thomas + ? if you have a position of need somewhere else (or maybe a draft pick).

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
Thomas could very well outperform Holmes this season (though I wouldn't bet on it). But at this point, Holmes is worth considerably more then Thomas.

You would need to do Holmes for Thomas + ??? in order for this trade to make sense for you IMO.

gruntbusters

Thanks guys, I had to ask myself how this makes my team better and I am just not seeing it. I am not sure this is a something that makes sense ATM...just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something about Thomas.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
In a Dynasty, you're getting a few years younger with Thomas, and I think they're essentially the same guy. Thomas is the #1 target now with Sims-Walker gone, and I'm personally not a fan of Sanchez either now or going forward, from a fantasy perspective. And as has been mentioned already the Jets are seriously run-first with a good defense.
Now then, Holmes definitely has the bigger name value, so I'd definitely play that to my advantage and try to squeeze out just a little something extra, even if it's just a player swap at a different position that gives you an incremental upgrade. You're winning either way, in my opinion.

Coachnorm

A little Thomas intel:

Matt Williamson of ESPN's Scouts, Inc. "loves" Jaguars No. 1 receiver Mike Thomas this year. Analysis: "He might not ever be as good as either Wes Welker or Steve Smith in their prime, but he kind of a mixture of both," said Williamson, citing short-area explosiveness, quickness and burst. "He's got a strong body despite his small stature. He runs well after the catch. He runs good routes and has good hands." Thomas can safely be drafted as a WR3 with the upside to reach WR2 territory in PPR leagues.

Remote Controller

Thomas defintily needs someone to step up on the otherside that isn't a TE. Holmes was gameplanned deep and in the redzone. Thomas seemed to need to hit the homereun, because in the redzone it was all mreceds lewsis or the running game. I say Holmes by a wide margin.

Coachnorm

Thomas definately needs someone to step up on the otherside that isn't a TE. Holmes was gameplanned deep and in the redzone. Thomas seemed to need to hit the homereun, because in the redzone it was all mreceds lewsis or the running game. I say Holmes by a wide margin.

Holmes is good for a couple of long hookups a game which makes his pointage on a game to game basis pretty reliable.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Another plug for Holmes. Big play guy on a team with an ascending quarterback. And before everyone goes back to run first offense excuse for taking him over Thomas, just remember that's just the offense he flourished under in Spurgh'. Just sayin'.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Holmes had Ben throwing it to him, and Sanchez, no matter how fast he ascends, will never reach that level as a pure passer. And also Pittsburgh hasn't really been "run-dominant" since Kordell was in town, but old stigmas are hard to shake.

If Holmes lands in a situation with a better QB in a more WR friendly offense, that obviously changes the context of this entire thread.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Id say Holmes is at minimum a productive player and at best could overpay his ADP this season. You did right to keep him.