The Official Urban Meyer Fiasco Thread

GoToLeep

Fantasy Football Champ!!
Heard the same thing here....that is a shame. Seems like it could have waited until after the bowl game.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
He agreed to be the coach of the Orlando Magic. Stan Van Gundy will be named coach of the Gators for the Sugar Bowl.

Skedar120

Buccaneer Faithful
As much as I want to rip on the guy now, the word is that he has had heart problems for years, so this is a very appropriate move. I would never wish such a thing on anybody. I really hope things get better for him.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
He is coaching the bowl game.

Its likely the heart issue, though Im already reading rumors that this is the usual time for Meyer to walk away from a program and this is something he cooked up.

I doubt it, but the next few days will inevitibly tell us what kind of medical issue it is and how serious.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
this does suck for the Gator program and Meyer....he seemed to have something special there.

Trickster

He has a heart muscle defect, which was later defined as a heart valve defect. He has reportedly had chest pains for a while and it has gotten worse after the SEC championship game. The stress of coaching only worsens this condition. Sucks, he was a great coach.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Im sorry to hear hes been cut down in his prime. I wonder if there is a surgical option for treatment.

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
Over the past few days of reports/updates on this topic, I find it very interesting to hear just how much the incredible pressure and unrealistic expectations enforced upon the coaching staff are gaining attention and credit for worsening Meyer's heart condition. (At least that's the theory at this point)

ESPN News stated (no big surprise) that its not to enough to win in Gainesville, they have to win by 2-3 touchdowns. The fans and the organization wont accept a win by any other means. And its not enough to have a top 10 winning record, they have to dominate. Otherwise they're no good.

Florida has been too good for too long and have unfortunately forgotten how to be humble IMO (no offense Bodey). I sincerely hope that Meyer isn't the "sacrificial lamb" who finally demonstrates this to UF. He's an incredible coach, no question.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Urban Meyer returns to Florida

Now hes rescended his resignation. Hes just going to take a "leave of absence".......

What is the deal with this guy?

Skedar120

Buccaneer Faithful
Over the past few days of reports/updates on this topic, I find it very interesting to hear just how much the incredible pressure and unrealistic expectations enforced upon the coaching staff are gaining attention and credit for worsening Meyer's heart condition. (At least that's the theory at this point)

ESPN News stated (no big surprise) that its not to enough to win in Gainesville, they have to win by 2-3 touchdowns. The fans and the organization wont accept a win by any other means. And its not enough to have a top 10 winning record, they have to dominate. Otherwise they're no good.

Florida has been too good for too long and have unfortunately forgotten how to be humble IMO (no offense Bodey). I sincerely hope that Meyer isn't the "sacrificial lamb" who finally demonstrates this to UF. He's an incredible coach, no question.

It has to happen eventually. You're right, these are unrealistic expectations for anyone. I'm not sure what the best way for it to happen is though.

And how do you think the pressure is going to be on the next coach? Its easy to replace a coach coming off of a .500 season (yeah, still taking shots at Weis, lol).

AS I AM WRITING THIS: ESPN's Chris Mortenson reporting that Meyer is NOT resigning, but instead is taking a leave on absence for the 2010 season. Will post link as soon as the story goes up.

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
"Here we go round the merry-go-round, the merry-go-round, the merry-go-round...."