The Notre Dame is going to a BCS Bowl Game Thread

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
And another thing that just dawned to me. ND is an independant, which does hurt them. To what i can remember, no independant has ever made it to the BCS title game. Not sure on the Independant ever making a BCS game either. This has to hurt them being independent. They need to hook up to a conference to give them a better chance for the BCS title game and hooking up with a conference would also give them a better power ranking.

OK entertain this for a minute. And what if ND does go undefeated but every team on their schedule goes winless ? Would ND deserve a title shot ? I say NO, sure they are 12-0 but their opponents are 0-144 (approx number), so their power rankings would be or should be very low. But we all know Holtz and his crazy few followers would be screaming for a title shot against Florida/Oklahoma/Texas (whoever is number 1) and saying , "hey we are 12-0 " , " so give us the shot we deserve "

Just a scenario, far fetched i know but what if ?

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
[And another thing that just dawned to me. ND is an independant, which does hurt them. To what i can remember, no independant has ever made it to the BCS title game. Not sure on the Independant ever making a BCS game either. This has to hurt them being independent. They need to hook up to a conference to give them a better chance for the BCS title game and hooking up with a conference would also give them a better power ranking.

I pointed this out to Chris in my first post in this thread. Since they are Independent, they have no BCS Conference for a automatic bid.

The only conference ties ND has is the Big East. Since ND plays Basketball in the Big East Conference, the Big East and ND made an agreement to schedule a least 3 games a year in Football. This year they play Boston College, Pitt and UConn.

OK entertain this for a minute. And what if ND does go undefeated but every team on their schedule goes winless ? Would ND deserve a title shot ? I say NO, sure they are 12-0 but their opponents are 0-144 (approx number), so their power rankings would be or should be very low. But we all know Holtz and his crazy few followers would be screaming for a title shot against Florida/Oklahoma/Texas (whoever is number 1) and saying , "hey we are 12-0 " , " so give us the shot we deserve "

Just a scenario, far fetched i know but what if ?
No.....no way. This would be like bring up the Utah fiasco again....difference is, Utah beat at least 2 teams with winning records (BYU and Oregon St comes to mind).

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I pointed this out to Chris in my first post in this thread. Since they are Independent, they have no BCS Conference for a automatic bid.

The only conference ties ND has is the Big East. Since ND plays Basketball in the Big East Conference, the Big East and ND made an agreement to schedule a least 3 games a year in Football. This year they play Boston College, Pitt and UConn.

No.....no way. This would be like bring up the Utah fiasco again....difference is, Utah beat at least 2 teams with winning records (BYU and Oregon St comes to mind).

Sorry i didn't realize you already brought that up. Great minds do think alike. We really are on the same page here. ND would be enjoyable to watch in the Big East. Then they could claim stakes to BCS games, if they won the conference.

Utah got the shaft last year esp after they just pounded Alabama. But Utah/BYU has the same problem. They are only recently known as power house teams and the top 25 and BCS games is a popularity contest. And that favors ND in a way. Even non football fans know about ND. And that there helps them every year. Year after year teams are over ranked just because of who they are. They need to play real schedules against real teams and not do a top 25 til at least the 3rd week, i think. In a playoff system last year, it could have been Utah/Texas in the title game or any other teams.

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
Many great football programs have realized that if they want to stay at the top of the polls each year, they have to play a tough OOC schedule and prove themselves. I have to admit that the computers are good for some things when it comes to ranking the teams....not like in years past where teams like Kansas State would play teams like the Atlanta School of the Blind just to pad there records.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Many great football programs have realized that if they want to stay at the top of the polls each year, they have to play a tough OOC schedule and prove themselves. I have to admit that the computers are good for some things when it comes to ranking the teams....not like in years past where teams like Kansas State would play teams like the Atlanta School of the Blind just to pad there records.

LOL, Atlanta school for the blind. Hey i just had a brain fart. Maybe ND can play them along with william and mary. Who can't beat william and mary. Heck its 11 on 2 and one of them is a girl. LOL

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
BYU did have some good teams before the BCS came along. BYU became National Champions in 1985 by going undefeted. Many say that Washington should have been the champions since they played Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl (#2 against #3) and won, while BYU played Michigan in the Holliday Bowl (UM record 6-5). UW only loss of the year was to USC...a close game.

Bringing up bad memories again......

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
BYU did have some good teams before the BCS came along. BYU became National Champions in 1985 by going undefeted. Many say that Washington should have been the champions since they played Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl (#2 against #3) and won, while BYU played Michigan in the Holliday Bowl (UM record 6-5). UW only loss of the year was to USC...a close game.

Bringing up bad memories again......

WOW 24 yrs is along time . Have they had a winning season since then ? That 6-5 thing irratates me. They have way too many bowl games. I think the way it is set up now that if a team wins 6 games they are bowl eligable. That just seems wrong esp knowing at least one of those wins was from playing a cream puff for homecoming.

Sorry to bring up the bad memories.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
If you guys will look you will see ND is NOT ranked in the 3rd major poll, and perhaps the most important......

.....mine

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
even added my name for ya ;)

Every time I see this title in the recent threads box I laugh!!

But I am pulling for them, as i said, If they make it, please let it be against the Buckeyes again, whipping the Irish all over the field will be fun to watch.

Season starts in under two weeks and there are a number of people who are about to feel very stupid.

Here are the list of people who are about to kiss my ass when ND goes to that bowl:

WesDawg
Sgt. John
12guagetimmy
Cerberus
Bodey
MtTacWA
Miller

Feel free to add your name

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
LOL Miller!!!

Yeah, I remember when Brady's hot ass sister had to watch her future husband kick his ass all over the field.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
LOL Miller!!!

Yeah, I remember when Brady's hot ass sister had to watch her future husband kick his ass all over the field.
:banana:

player-hawk11.jpg
85864732_0dc1e5e11f_o.jpg

Yep, I could watch that again!!