So what's your final top 10?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Let's see your top 10. Here's mine!

10) Penn State - They hung much closer to USC than I would have expected and Joe Pa deserves a spot in the top 10. Because no one else does instead.

9) Alabama
- Not a great way to end the year with two beatdown losses, but this team had a really successful year in a down but still tough SEC.

8) TCU - It's tough to put two Mountain West teams into the top 10, but TCU is a great team either way. Their defense is as good as anyone's in my opinion, maybe even including USC.

7) Oregon - Maybe a bit high, but it's a bit of a mess after #6 for me and Oregon just looks to me like a team no one would want to play at this point of the season. They should be ranked very high heading to next season and pose a real threat to USC.

6) Boise State - Forgotten in all of the Utah love fest is the fact that that could well be Boise State. They lost just once and on a tough way to end the year, and they played a good schedule and were a legitimately great team. They also beat that Oregon team ranked just ahead.

5) Oklahoma - A good team, but not a great one. They made a lot of plays all season long on offense, but they lost both of the games they played against better teams, and them's the facts.

4) Texas - They simply know how to win the close games, just like they did against an inferior Ohio State team. Colt McCoy and his receivers make the plays they have to. I'd have loved to see Texas against Utah personally.

3) Utah - I know the resume, and it's an impressive one. This ranking takes nothing away from what they've done, just that Florida and USC look like far superior teams with the eyeball test. Until there's a playoff system, we'll just never know.

2) USC - I was fine with the way the BCS ended up this year because I don't think the Trojans could really make a case, but I'd have loved to see USC play Florida. These teams are becoming mirror images of one another with All Americans deep at every roster position, and USC is the one team I think that may have been favored against every team in a national title game. They cost themselves their shot though, and in a weak conference, that's that.

1) Florida - The right team ended up #1. This team is uber talented at every position and speed kills, plus they have the ultimate Superman in Tim Tebow who simply does not let his team lose. They are the deserving champs.

:banana:

Jetdoc

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Utah
4. USC
5. Oklahoma
6-10. No one even close.

Utah, despite going undefeated, simply didn't play anyone other than Alabama. Yes - they beat three other ranked teams...but COME ON, look at their schedule...

Date Opponent Location Time TV
Aug. 30 Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich. TBD TBD
Sept. 6 UNLV* Salt Lake City 6:00 p.m. MT The Mtn.
Sept. 13 Utah State Logan, Utah TBD TBD
Sept. 20 Air Force* Colorado Springs, Colo. 2:00 p.m. MT VERSUS
Sept. 27 Weber State Salt Lake City 6:00 p.m. MT No TV
Oct. 2 Oregon State Salt Lake City 7:00 p.m. MT VERSUS
Oct. 11 Wyoming* Laramie, Wyo. 12:00 p.m. MT The Mtn.
Oct. 18 Colorado State* Salt Lake City 12:00 p.m. MT The Mtn.
Oct. 25 open
Nov. 1 New Mexico* Albuquerque, N.M. 7:30 p.m. MT The Mtn.
Nov. 6 TCU* Salt Lake City 6:00 p.m. MT CBS C
Nov. 15 San Diego State* San Diego, Calif. 5:00 p.m. PT The Mtn.
Nov. 22 Brigham Young* Salt Lake City 4:00 p.m. MT The Mtn.

A bunch of powerhouse there, let me tell you what.

That's why I have Texas as #2, as the only team they lost to was #2 at the time and the loss was by 0:01 seconds left in the 4th quarter in a home field that is one of the most difficult places to play in the nation. That and it was the last game in a four game stretch that was one of the most difficult ever seen in NCAA history (i.e. against four top 10 teams in a row).

USC has a stellar defense, but again strength of schedule (and the pitiful loss they had) causes me to question whether they truly deserve to be up there as much as Texas and Utah.

OU, as a two loss team, can only be #5 at best when compared to these four.

bodey24

Staff member
1. Florida
2. USC
3. Utah
4. Texas
5. Oklahoma
6. Penn State
7. Alabama
8. TCU
9. Oregon
10. Boise State

Runnik's Hambones

1. USC
2. Florida
3. Utah
4. Texas
5. Oklahoma
6. Alabama
7. Penn St
8. TCU
9. Oregon
10. Boise St

The most impressive defense in the league to me was USC. That's why they're number 1 IMO. Florida is a close second, because lets face it, they're the 2008 national champions, they're a freaking great team. Utah is undefeated, but still unproven against Florida and USC, that's the only reason they're 3 for me. The rest just fall into place.

Hollywoodnash

TO THE DEATH
1. Utah-Anyone can talk about their resume, but the fact is, they are the only major division team to go undefeated. They did beat 3 ranked teams, and they did beat Alabama. They beat every team that was put in front of them, and that is all you can ask of them. Undefeated, no one else can say that.

2. Florida-Are they better then Utah, maybe. They did beat Oklahoma in a farce of a national title game, which gives hem the number 2 spot in my poll.

3. Texas-Only 2 teams could beat Oklahoma this season, Florida and Texas. This is a big game program.

4. USC- They were impressive throughout the season, but, they only played 3 ranked teams during the regular season ( sound familiar to all of those making the resume argument). Their biggest win came against Ohio State who hardly proved to be the dominant team everyone made them out to be. Their uninspiring play and subsequent loss to unranked Oregon State really stood out as a strike against them.

5. Oklahoma- A loss to Florida for the "National Title" drops them, but it doesn't discount what they did. Defenitely a top 5 team.

6. Alabama- When they lost to Florida, I still had them in the top 3. A loss to Utah drops them to sixth. Hey, no shame in losing to the only undefeated team in the nation. On a side note, this was the only common opponent for Florida and Utah. Both Utah and Florida put up 31 points on their D, while Utah held them to 17 points while Florida gave up 20.

7. TCU- Their only losses came to Utah and Oklahoma, 2 top 5 teams. No shame in that.

8. Boise State- Only 1 of 2 teams who went into the postseason as being undefeated. Their loss to TCU means I can't rank them ahead to TCU

9. Penn St.- Another top 10 2 loss team. Their loss to Iowa really hurts them, not to mentioned getting outclassed by USC.

10. Texas Tech- Yes, they lost their bowl game, but their the only 2 loss team left, and I'll be damned if I put a 3 loss team in my top 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Utah
4. USC
5. Oklahoma
6. TCU
7. Alabama
8. Penn St
9. Boise St
10. Ohio State

Mike

Administrator
ranking teams is an absolute joke. This is simply another year where we have no National Champion.

I think it is pretty funny, and annoying at the same time, that DaBomb ranks Texas ahead of Oklahoma now, as opposed to when he and the rest of the Country should have pulled their heads out of their asses and ranked according to accomplishments rather than homerism and national popularity.

I hope all of you enjoyed another season with the BCS, another season that ended being a complete waste of time for anybody wanting to see a true National Champion.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
its never happened in the history of the sport to have a "true" national champion. no point complaining year in and year out about it. i moved texas up above oklahoma because oklahoma lost. had nothing to do with homerism and popularity. i like texas, i own texas gear, and i ranked them #1 before most around here. no need to be bitter just because texas didnt get their chance in the title game. they lost their chance when they couldnt hold off texas tech for one more play. bcs is a beauty contest, everyone knows it, and OU was the better looking team at the end of the regular seaosn.

the ranking is the whole fun of it. florida beat OU and wouldve beat texas too. how many other teams in the history of college football have beat the #1 ranked team in the sport (by all of the coaches who know the game / teams best) in consecutive final games to end a season? thats the two top teams after all the games have been played all year long. add that to 8 other wins over bowl teams... its enough for me. best resume. best team. #1.

Mike

Administrator
florida beat OU and wouldve beat texas too.

This has to be the most ignorant sounding comment I will see as a result of those trying to justify their watching of a Bogus Championship Game.

And this isn't a comment to attack you, because there are plenty more people out there making this crazy comment.

you, and others, ranked OU ahead of Texas because you totally disrespected the fact that Texas beat OU on a NEUTRAL field.

You now Justify it by ranking Texas at #2, assuming that Texas wouldn't have beaten Florida, that is absolute bullshit. They never played because of stupid rankings that kept Texas from playing in a game and instead sending a team that lost to Texas on a neutral field.

Bitter? Your damn right I am bitter.

• Texas, in recent history, went to the Horseshoe and was given no chance of even competing, they won.
  • Texas went to a National Championship game the same year and was given no shot at winning by the same people. They won.
If Texas had the national popularity that OU had, they would have been in the National Championship game this year.

If we had a playoff system, Texas and other teams would have had an opportunity to compete for a championship.

We have no National Champion, yet again, because the BCS controls things. They control things because you fans continue to let this crap go on.

Mike

Administrator
i moved texas up above oklahoma because oklahoma lost.

Makes it so much better to know that Texas got to move up above OU after the bowl games. Damn shame this didn't happen after the two teams played ON A NEUTRAL FREAKING FIELD.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I can't figure out why they don't at least vote for a final 6 bracket with #1 and #2 getting a bye. That would at least give 6 teams a chance to win and would be a win-win for advertisers, fan interest and the players. Even a final four would be light years better than some computer picking 2 schools to play and everyone else plays in the "Burger King Have-it-your-way Bowl"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Administrator
It is easy to figure out. Money.

The BCS conferences spend loads of money for this BCS system. They want that money to stay withing BCS schools, therefore they make it virtually impossiblel for a non-bcs school to get a game.

For those that don't remember the formation of the BCS, those schools that did participate snubbed their noses at those who weren't part of it for the fact that those schools didn't offer up the money.

So, in a nutshell, it is all about money.

Did the BCS think that it would become so obvious, so soon? No. The reduction of scholarships has made college football very competitive though, and as a result, the BCS has become a joke.

Unfortunately, millions of people tune in and allow this bullshit to continue.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I'm actually becoming a fan of the BCS, if for no other reason I get to hear classic rants like Mike's on a yearly basis. :biglaugh:

bodey24

Staff member
lol im with Miller on this one...I actually didn't mind the BCS this year for some reason :) :pickle: :trampolin

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
lol im with Miller on this one...I actually didn't mind the BCS this year for some reason :) :pickle: :trampolin
Make no mistake, it's still a crappy system the way it is used......but Mike's rant's are pretty entertaining.....

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
sure provides a lot of discussoin. and its still a better system now than it was pre-bcs. at least now we get some good bowl matchups at the end of the year.

i think florida wouldve been at least a TD favorite against texas, and i wouldve bet very heavily on them to cover with a double digit victory. i wouldve banked on florida winning fairly easily with a month to prepare against any team in football not named usc. thats why, in hindsight, i should have ranked those 2 teams top.

i think vegas should just have to pick the pairing. i honestly believe usc wouldve been favored in any championship pairing, and i think florida is next in line. so let those teams play. vegans knows the football better than anyone else.

part of my final rankings was due to overall conferences the way the bowls turned out, where i think the big 12 got a little bit exposed. favored okie state and texas tech lost. oklahoma lost. missouri shouldve lost and so too (you'll argue against obviously) texas.

the sec had one of the most shocking monster wins with lsu over ga tech. they had a surprise with ole miss pounding tech. georgia won easily, and kentucky surprised with a good win. alabama was a blemish, but their two losses to end the year came against the two teams most are arguing belong at #1. and the pac 10 was undefeated in bowl play. so that absolutely played into my rankings in the end.

bodey24

Staff member
I dont like the system either. I would have loved to see a 4-team playoff this year. But it is what it is. I understand Mikes rant, Texas should have played Florida since they beat OU. But I honestly dont think the results would have been much different. Like Bomb I would have bet on Florida to cover the spread against any team except for USC. I think that would have been a great game.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
This isn't a real article but its funny -
Kentucky Player Must Explain Significance Of AutoZone Liberty Bowl Before Coed Sleeps With Him | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Kentucky Player Must Explain Significance Of AutoZone Liberty Bowl Before Coed Sleeps With Him

LEXINGTON, KY - University of Kentucky freshman Amy Austin demanded defensive end Ventrell Jenkins explain "what's so great" about the AutoZone Liberty Bowl before she would consent to participate in sexual intercourse with him, sources reported Monday.

"Technically, it's not the championship, but it's a lot like a championship," Austin's suitemates overheard Jenkins say. "Trust me. It was an important game." Jenkins also reportedly told the coed a trophy was awarded for the victory, and that this validated the game's significance. "With the BCS, there's not just one winner," he continued. "We're all winners in, like, diverse ways. It's hard to explain, but there was confetti and shit. We're the 2009 AutoZone Liberty Bowl champs.... Hey, come here." Austin reportedly put her clothes back on and left the room when Jenkins accidentally mentioned that Notre Dame had also played in a bowl game this year.

Mike

Administrator
I hate you Miller :)

And your right Bomb. Florida would have been the favorite, just like USC was the favorite, just like Ohio State was the favorite when Texas went to that dreaded horseshit....I mean horseshoe. Teams like Florida, OU, Ohio State and USC all have tons of National respect that Texas doesn't have. And that last part of this statement is why Texas didn't get the opportunity to play in this game. It is also the reaon that the Bowl Game choking OU quarterback got the Heisman.

In a nutshell, the nation doesn't like Texas. Look at how much it was overplayed about how Mack Brown couldn't win against Stoops. Anybody checked that trend lately? Probably not because it is no fun to bag on Stoops, you know being the great coach he is. What is it now? 4-6 in bowl games? Only championship came from players he didn't recruit? yeah, this guy is awesome :)

I gotta stop looking at the college football forum, it puts me in a bad mood ;)