"Smokey" Bell facing 4 game suspension

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
So where does this focker get drafted now? 2nd or 3rd round? Then you gotta turn around a couple rounds later and draft D Willy... mehh.

ExperiencedRookie

So where does this focker get drafted now? 2nd or 3rd round? Then you gotta turn around a couple rounds later and draft D Willy... mehh.
I don't think you have to go too terribly early on DeAngelo.

Think about it like this: If you're NOT the guy who drafts Leveon, how early of a pick are you willing to spend on DeAngelo if he's only going to be the starter for 4 games?

My guess is DeAngelo sees his ADP rise, but no higher than the early 8th round. Probably sees its biggest push upward from Leveon owners going a round early to get the guy

cctekguy

Staff member
4 games from a bonefide stud (which is what Williams will be) is a quarter of the season. The Bell owner better be on his toes because that's good production for ANY owner.

Especially considering that by week 4, the waiver wire will have produced a couple more "suddenly starting" RBs to take Williams place when Bell returns.

Not to mention that the Rooney family is not exactly known for coddling problem children.

You could see Bell in the doghouse long after the suspension is over.

I'd take Williams as early as late 6 early 7 and ride that pony 'till she dropped.

Last edited:

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
If I'm the Bell owner I'm reaching a bit for D Will. You're essentially spending a (maybe) 2nd round pick and a (maybe) fifth round pick to lock up 1st round production throughout the season. Couple that with your actual 1st round pick and it's an interesting proposition I suppose.

On a side note... DWill is old and could be beat up come week 5, Bell will probably be at 100% by then. Could set the table for a huge 12 games from Bell.

ExperiencedRookie

I think you just have to go into drafts knowing that you've got a cutoff where you no longer pass on Bell. Maybe it's the late 2nd. Maybe it's the early 3rd. Hell, maybe it's even the 5th.

Never reach for him, grab him if he falls to good value, and then you can comfortably grab DeAngelo a full round early because you any havent invested as much stock with your picks.

hikeNbike

Hmm... maybe pair Bell with Brady. Punt on the first four games and try to be first on the waiver wire and stack my team with talent? Then stage a big comeback.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hikeNbike

Hmm... maybe pair Bell with Brady. Punt on the first four games and try to be first on the waiver wire and stack my team with talent? Then stage a big comeback.

Second thought I'm a little concerned. 4 games then steelers have a bye in week 8 so you have Bell for 3 out of the first 8 weeks. I would need to go at least 3-5 to be in okay position to make the playoffs. And then would have to win most of the remaining games. Two of my leagues are 13 week regular seasons so would have to go 4-1 to be at 7-6 or 5-0 to be at 8-5. 8-5 makes the playoffs almost every year as the leagues are pretty competitive and it's rare you have teams running away with it. 7-6 is iffy some years puts you in others it won't.

Think if Bell slips to the 3rd would probably take a chance. But would need to grab D'Angelo in the 6th and bet Leveon still goes in the second.

cctekguy

Staff member
Moving this discussion forward, Pittsburgh's backfield is prime real estate no matter who the back is.

Besides the suspension, Bell has injured the same knee twice in 2 years and is making a habit out of missing games.

Deangelo, God love him, was a monster in relief of Bell last season but dude is 33 years old and coming off injury himself.

Anybody have a clue what plan C is in Pittsburgh. A quick perusal of the Pitt depth chart reveals a bunch of names I know nothing about.

Toussaint did a respectable job when Bell and Williams were out. Doesn't look like anything special.

Daryl Richardson is a Cleveland retread and probably won't make the team unless he has special teams value.

Brown-Dukes is an UDFA from Mercyhurst without much pedigree. Lots of raves from old coaches and did well on the practice squad. Potential, but a long shot.

Cameron Stingily, 1st year out of N. Illinois. Can't find much on him.

Any clues on what direction Pitt might go if worst comes to worst?