Should Penn State get the death penalty?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, the Freehs' report is out, and as expected, the school and Paterno did not meet the duty and let this go unchecked.

So I ask, should the school get punished?

I am Catholic, so I am going to put a spin on this that matches what has happened there. Is it a fair comparison? I think so. Some might not.

First, it is clear, that with testimony and emails and evidence that the school KNEW this was happening, and did nothing other than have him retire. They did not notify the Police or any authorities....as they are legally required to do. Smply due to this, you can fully expect this to criple the University as they will face both criminal charges as well as huge Civil litigation. I am not joking here, it would not surprise me at all to see Penn State shut down. There are many Catholic Diocese that are facing bankruptcy due to legal settlings and other cost hikes due to the crimes committed. Can Penn State a state school survive this? I don't know.

But then you have the lack of control BY Paterno. We now know that he had full knowledge of all incidences that were being investigated, and as such, he did not do correct duty in notifying authorities. Granted, this is not normally covered by NCAA regulations, but does this not DEFINE lack of institutional control?!?!!?

I will say one more thing. There was a time where being a Catholic was being insulted and made jokes of due to the crimes of some few, and more importantly the poor response of those crimes by those in power. Where I don't feel it is fair to the students of Penn State, the same may happen. I also think while not fair to the players, they too will be used to set a standard here, and I hope the NCAA if they do rule and penalize, allow those players to transfer without penalty.

Thoughts?

RLLD

I am torn on this one. I am thinking that they should not be held accountable by the NCAA, but maybe that is wrong; I am just not sure.

On a further note, check this out..... http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...y-case-paterno-family-20120716,0,303339.story

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...y-take-paternos-name-off-award/1#.UAWWCvXdfh8

Wow, you go from shining example of how to compete without buying players or otherwise cheating....from being considered "THE MAN", and then POW in a few short months you find out you are hated as a pariah just before you die.....ouch.....

Zach

I have thought about this for awhile.

If I was the controlling authority at Penn St I would shut down the football program for one year.

That would I believe show how serious you take what happened and at the same time not be the death toll for the program. Yes they would lose most of their players but they would come back and recruit like crazy and be a good program in just a few years.

Now by shutting down the program that means nothing football related. No recruiting or anything for that year. No coaches on staff that can act on behalf of Penn St, etc...

gizzil

The university, and especially the white helmeted football team, will be forever synonymous with a conspiracy to allow serial (and systematic, through both the foundation AND after inaction by senior members of the university) child rape. I don't need to see them play or think about the university existing at all. ever

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
Paterno tore down what he spent so many years building, a football power house & a reputation by sweeping it all under the rug.

Shut em down.

Fun-N-Sun

"Laissez les bons temps rouler"
The NCAA isn't going to have a choice but take severe action or lose all credibility and face even legal action from other institutions that had infractions, albeit for different reasons, in the past. I agree that the football program should be shut down for a year, minimum, prefererably 5 years. The current players should be able to transfer to other football programs without sacrificing any eligibility. Those that chose not to transfer and are on football scholarships should be allowed to remain in their course of study at Penn State AND Penn State should have to honor those scholorships that are in place, regardless if the football program is ever reinstated or not, without further football committment by the student. If the program is, infact, suspended then before it is reinstated, if ever, it should be required to be rebranded. There is so much stigma attached to it's current program that it would continue to serve as a reminder, throughout all NCAA college football, of the horrible events that were allowed to occur and were perpetuated by the program staff and by Penn State officials.

bossco

This one is hard. Why should the kids that are there now get punished. But the school needs to be punished. They should forfeit the last 14 yrs so you can put a even bigger dent in coach paterno's legacy his record 409 wins will be gone since thats all he seemed to give a **** about. And no bowls for 2yrs like USC. Like i said this one is hard. You will never please everyone

9ers n lakers on my razr maxx(tapralk)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
give the kids favorable transfers whats the issue there

Absolfrickenlutely. if they do lever a death penalty(NCAA or self inflicted) the kids should be allowed to move, it wasn't their fault

Jake

PSU should get treated like everyone else whose "institutional control" is found to be lacking. Yeah, it sucks for the kids there now but that's life. There really isn't a good way to turn back time and punish the perps.

Death penalty? I'd say that's too much. But if ol' Joe was still around I'd recommend having him shower with Jerry and see how he likes it.

Fun-N-Sun

"Laissez les bons temps rouler"
If old Jerry ever makes it to general population, I think he will get his due.

We will know, today, what the NCAA hands down.

RLLD

I oppose the death penalty, even though pummeling Pedd St would mean they would stop poaching MD players away from the Terps.

deuce4321

Driller
I would be interested in hearing from Penn state football fans on this one. Are they withdrawing their support due to this? What's the impact on the fan base?