Sarge's Preseason Top 25

maverick824

Question is what direction is he growing?

Eh, I read back, and felt I should clarify. He will NEVER be a proto QB, not saying that at all. Simply put, he's a guy with freakish speed that's too small to be a back, too short to be a wideout. There isn't another position on the field you can really stick him to make an impact EXCEPT QB. But here's where the interesting thing lies. He doesn't have to go out and put up 250 and 3 passing TD's every week to be able to run the offense effectively. The "growing" I'm referring to is the simple ability to make better decisions under fire. The Big Ten has pretty well figured him out in the fact that if you put pressure and force him to make snap decisions, he will make awful ones. What this spring needed to be about is simply working on making "better" decisions. Throw a ball away. Take a slide after a few yards on a busted play. Most "athlete" QB's that learn this skill are far better game managers, and put TONS of pressure on a D by putting far more options out there than it's possible to cover. He CAN break one at any moment with that speed, that's been proven. It's what he does when he isn't given the opportunity that will be the difference. Michigan can win with him as the QB, no question, but he has to become a better shot-caller. I think Hoke can help him with that.