Rumor - Peppers to the Patriots

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
This is from ESPN so take it for what its worth.

But apprently the pick Patriots received from KC they are looking to trade to get Peppers from Carolina.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
kind of a win/win deal. Carolina won't pay him what he wants....and needs extra picks to rebuild the D-line. Getting a high second rounder would be very nice price.

Coachnorm

This would not be all that surprising. The Pats used to make a big Defensive Free Agent Pickup every so often along with all super cost effective moves they have become known for. It has been awhile, but recently The Pats have been great at growing their own Defensive Stars such as cornerbacks. They grew one cornerback who became so good so fast even they couldn't afford him. They have the picks and the cap room, I have been waiting for something like this for a few years.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Patriots = Yankees

I've been saying this for a long time.

Again, they appear to be on the verge of acquiring talent because they are skirting the rules. They don't seem to mind bending the rules (cameras, injury report, verbal agreements with other teams that are broken etc.) as long as they win games. You win games and high-profile players want to come to your team and even take pay cuts - allowing you to get even more talent.

Granted, a lot of teams don't follow this rule... but still, I freaking hate the New England Yankees.

Coachnorm

More potential specifics to the rumor:

The Patriots would send a second-round draft choice, the 34th overall pick in the draft, to the Panthers and would use Peppers as an outside linebacker in their three-linemen, four-linebacker defensive alignment. That's the draft selection that the Patriots got from the Kansas City Chiefs in the trade that sent quarterback Matt Cassel from New England to Kansas City. The two teams hope to complete the trade sometime between the annual league meeting next week and the NFL draft next month, according to the report.

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
Patriots are the exact opposite of the Yankees.
Yankees bring in the hired gun / top free agents regardless of their ridiculous price tag. Too many examples to list all of them.
Patriots NEVER overpay for anyone. Yes, top vets sign with them with the chance at winning a ring.... when's the last time the Yankees won anything? 10 years ago? That's no longer a valid reason for a player to sign with them. Money is the only reason a player goes to NY.

Can you believe that the injury to Brady will have directly been the reason that the Patriots acquire Peppers?
Without the Brady injury, Cassel is on the bench for the season, probably signs a meager back up QB contract, as a free agent this year, with the Pats (or elsewhere).
Instead, Cassel goes on a tear, Pats franchise him in order to trade him, and use that traded for pick to gain Peppers. Brilliant.
I love living in New England. :nod:

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
whens the last time the patriots have won anything? what have you done for me lately? most of the manning family has won a trophy since anyone in boston has touched one. *yawn*

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
whens the last time the patriots have won anything? what have you done for me lately? most of the manning family has won a trophy since anyone in boston has touched one. *yawn*

I guess it's Belechicks charming personality that brings in the top players at a discount. :coocoo:

Wanna wager on which team will win the next championship?
I'll put all my $V on the Pats vs. all yours on the Yankees.
:biglaugh: