Rookie Qbs and where they stand

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Mud has covered the rookie Rbs, now lets look at the top Qbs taken in this draft.

First lets go to Houston before the Hurricane does - DeShaun Watson was the 1st round pick, and overall he looks to be really solid. However, he will not start the season, instead Tom Savage will. Still over all the kid looks to be a great pick, and Houston NEEDS a real Qb to help that defense.

Next - Chicago and Mitch Trubisky - This one looks to be a bit of a Cluster for Chicago. Honestly though I don't fault them. They wanted a bridge QB, to make the team competitive while they draft the Qb of the future. Now, did they overpay for Glennon, probably. Still he could potentially be ...well okay. But Trubisky has messed that up, in the time he has played he has looked pretty damn good. He won't start the third game, but will have time with the #1s to continue to evolve. I look for Trubisky to take over by week 3 or 4 depending on how Chicago does. he has the gift of a solid Rb in Howard but his Wrs are all a question.

Next - Cleveland - Well, well, well - what think we here? I for one never saw DeShone Kizer developing enough to think he would be there starter this year. I honestly thought they would limp along with Kessler or even Oswieller until he had the chance to mature some. But Cleveland is sneaky. They have rebuilt the O-line and made it solid , they drafted two key pieces to improve the defense, and they have a solid 1, 2 punch at Rb with Crowell and Duke Johnson. Wrs got hurt when Gordon remained suspended. Need the rookie TE to finally show what he can do. Still, of the three listed so far, Kizer was not the one I expected to start at season game 1.

Next - Patrick Mahomes and KC - again WOW. KC made the big move to go up and snag this kid, and guess what, it looks like the right move to do. I love Andy Reid, and love what he can do with Qbs. He will mold this kid and really use his deep throw talents. He is kind of the opposit of ready steady Alex Smith.....and I don't think he sees the field this year with Smith there...unless for some weird reason KC is out of it. But I love what I have seen of this kid.

San Francisco took C.J. Beathard in the third round and I like the kid. He may be the best Qb on that team right now(yeah no real struggle there with who they have). What I don't know, is do they think this kid is the future? I think they fully intend to go this year with Hoyer at #1 and Barkley as #2. No idea if this kid sees the turf, but if you are San Fran, and you are fully rebuilding which they are, then why not?

Joshua Dobbs - Pittsburgh...is he the heir apparant to Big Ben? Not sure, but I bet the team would have prefered Big Ben had been more forth coming about retiring early. I think they would have gone to more effort to get his successor. Still, I like Dobbs, and he may end up being #2 Qb by end of camp. Just not sure he will be able to replace Big Ben.

Last but not least Peterman in Buffalo. Let me tell you I love this kid, even before I heard that John Gruden said he was the most NFL ready Qb in the draft that was taken. He has quietly gone from goof to #2 Qb in Buffalo, and would not be surprised to see him take over from T.Taylor if Taylor chokes. My issue with both Taylor and Peterman is they gave away the best Wr they had. Granted this will be the McCoy show on offense, but they have to pass some...and they lost Woods to FA and Watkins in trade. Zay Jones better be what they hope.

Other Qb concerns:

Anyone else think Eli is starting to fade? He has top flight Wrs in OBJ and Marshall and Sheppard, they draft a solid rookie Te in Engram and what....they have like no points this pre-season. Now OBJ is out with ankle and may miss a game or two, still no real news on Marshall and his shoulder...and the running game is STILL not good. I actually was high on Eli this year...but now?

Andrew Luck - uh.....yikes? He has still not gotten even a solid time table to play folks. Not just start working in camp, but to play at all. Sorry but I am really scared for Indy, as they won't win a game with Tolzien at Qb.

Jacksonville - they were one of the firsts to exercise a fifth year option on a rookie in Bortles...and look where it got them now? Another Qb controversy with Henne starting game 3 to see if he will take over. I have said it before and will again, I think Bortles is hurt, and it is effecting his play. No idea if team knows or not...but you can see he just isn't throwing as smoothly as he has. He is close to being without a job.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The fans want Watson and I expect they will get him after Tom not so Terrific Savage starts 3-4 games and sucks.

I really have liked the way that Mitch Trubisky has looked when he was on the field and I know the Bears overpaid for Glennon. The kid has to be the starter there much sooner than expected.

Yeah it's Kizer's job to lose in Cleveland now but I won't be surprised tosee multiple QB's get starts this year for the Browns.

Patrick Mahomes is the future for KC and it's not far away but barring injury Smith will keep his job this year. Reports say that being pushed as been good for Smith and that he is going downfield much more than in the past. Any at all would be an improvement for him.

I simply haven't paid any attention at all to C.J. Beathard as Williams has hadd my mind process tied up. I like what you said though about rebuilding and turning the kid lose.

Big Ben replacement indeed. Who knows with Ben.

Again my fault but I didn't even realize the Bills had a young signal caller.

Anyone not concerned with the play of late from Eli should see a doctor. Dude is fading faster than a tie-dyed T-shirt.

Luck? ??? Isn't there a rookie QB there that's better than Tolzien? I think I read about him recently.

Bortles/Henne, it's plenty enough to get a coach and GM fired.

efactor

Coming at you
Beathard has a chance to be the #2 QB this year since they may roll with just 2 QBs so they can keep another DB or D lineman. Barkley has no future with them so it makes sense.

I like what I have seen so far. Kid is tough, smart and a football 24/7 guy. Doubt he plays much this year unless Hoyer gets hurt. Maybe the Bill Walsh approach in Montanas rookie year. Brought him in for certain packages and gave him one start to give him some experience without throwing him to the wolves.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
DeShone Kizer QB | CLE
Browns' DeShone Kizer: Expected to start Week 1
by RotoWire Staff
(1 hr ago) Kizer is expected to get the nod as Cleveland's Week 1 starter when coach Hue Jackson makes an announcement Sunday, Mary Kay Cabot of The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

cctekguy

Staff member
I really have liked the way that Mitch Trubisky has looked when he was on the field and I know the Bears overpaid for Glennon. The kid has to be the starter there much sooner than expected.

Watching the Bears/Titans game and Glennon is throwing guided missiles all over the field.

Pretty impressive.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Yeah, I think Kizer will start, I also felt no way Trubisky starts, not with the $$$$$ they paid for Glennon. I think Glennon will be okay, kind of like Bradford.

Bearthard too looks like a fun kid, and love his shot as #2 in SF. Hoyer will fold by mid season

Phicinfan

Administrator
Last but not least Peterman in Buffalo. Let me tell you I love this kid, even before I heard that John Gruden said he was the most NFL ready Qb in the draft that was taken. He has quietly gone from goof to #2 Qb in Buffalo, and would not be surprised to see him take over from T.Taylor if Taylor chokes. My issue with both Taylor and Peterman is they gave away the best Wr they had. Granted this will be the McCoy show on offense, but they have to pass some...and they lost Woods to FA and Watkins in trade. Zay Jones better be what they hope.

Other Qb concerns:

Andrew Luck - uh.....yikes? He has still not gotten even a solid time table to play folks. Not just start working in camp, but to play at all. Sorry but I am really scared for Indy, as they won't win a game with Tolzien at Qb.

Jacksonville - they were one of the firsts to exercise a fifth year option on a rookie in Bortles...and look where it got them now? Another Qb controversy with Henne starting game 3 to see if he will take over. I have said it before and will again, I think Bortles is hurt, and it is effecting his play. No idea if team knows or not...but you can see he just isn't throwing as smoothly as he has. He is close to being without a job.

so first, Peterman looked like a rookie for buf. but still think he ends up as the #2.

Luck still out, still no time table...but I have to say S. Morris looks kind of fun for Indy and he looked good last night

Jacksonville - they had no choice here folks. Had they gone to Henne, and he looked like last night.....do you expect Bortles and team to be the same? Nope had to go Bortles and see if he can step up and win.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Mud has covered the rookie Rbs, now lets look at the top Qbs taken in this draft.

First lets go to Houston before the Hurricane does - DeShaun Watson was the 1st round pick, and overall he looks to be really solid. However, he will not start the season, instead Tom Savage will. Still over all the kid looks to be a great pick, and Houston NEEDS a real Qb to help that defense.

Next - Chicago and Mitch Trubisky - This one looks to be a bit of a Cluster for Chicago. Honestly though I don't fault them. They wanted a bridge QB, to make the team competitive while they draft the Qb of the future. Now, did they overpay for Glennon, probably. Still he could potentially be ...well okay. But Trubisky has messed that up, in the time he has played he has looked pretty damn good. He won't start the third game, but will have time with the #1s to continue to evolve. I look for Trubisky to take over by week 3 or 4 depending on how Chicago does. he has the gift of a solid Rb in Howard but his Wrs are all a question.

Next - Cleveland - Well, well, well - what think we here? I for one never saw DeShone Kizer developing enough to think he would be there starter this year. I honestly thought they would limp along with Kessler or even Oswieller until he had the chance to mature some. But Cleveland is sneaky. They have rebuilt the O-line and made it solid , they drafted two key pieces to improve the defense, and they have a solid 1, 2 punch at Rb with Crowell and Duke Johnson. Wrs got hurt when Gordon remained suspended. Need the rookie TE to finally show what he can do. Still, of the three listed so far, Kizer was not the one I expected to start at season game 1.

Next - Patrick Mahomes and KC - again WOW. KC made the big move to go up and snag this kid, and guess what, it looks like the right move to do. I love Andy Reid, and love what he can do with Qbs. He will mold this kid and really use his deep throw talents. He is kind of the opposit of ready steady Alex Smith.....and I don't think he sees the field this year with Smith there...unless for some weird reason KC is out of it. But I love what I have seen of this kid.

San Francisco took C.J. Beathard in the third round and I like the kid. He may be the best Qb on that team right now(yeah no real struggle there with who they have). What I don't know, is do they think this kid is the future? I think they fully intend to go this year with Hoyer at #1 and Barkley as #2. No idea if this kid sees the turf, but if you are San Fran, and you are fully rebuilding which they are, then why not?

Joshua Dobbs - Pittsburgh...is he the heir apparant to Big Ben? Not sure, but I bet the team would have prefered Big Ben had been more forth coming about retiring early. I think they would have gone to more effort to get his successor. Still, I like Dobbs, and he may end up being #2 Qb by end of camp. Just not sure he will be able to replace Big Ben.

Other Qb concerns:

Anyone else think Eli is starting to fade? He has top flight Wrs in OBJ and Marshall and Sheppard, they draft a solid rookie Te in Engram and what....they have like no points this pre-season. Now OBJ is out with ankle and may miss a game or two, still no real news on Marshall and his shoulder...and the running game is STILL not good. I actually was high on Eli this year...but now?

So....lets revisit this again, and talk about potential targets for next year.....

First Congrats to Houston, the move and development of Watson has been great for them. He is still a rookie and makes mistakes, but he has made that offense immensely better. We won't focus on the he said she said on if the owner forced Watson to bench at start of season or not....... The key here is what the team had for Watson. They had an established defense that can hold opponents. They had solid Rb in Miller, and the rookie from Texas Foreman looks the real deal. Add to that some solid Wrs in Hopkins and Fuller showing again. The fact that they did not need Watson to win games, but just use his tools is the key to me. It is the worry I will address with Cle and Chi next.

Chicago - Trubisky - Here he comes......and God help him. Mitch will be the starting Qb tonight on Monday night - with probably the worst Wr core imaginable. Thank God for Howard and Cohen, to help take pressure off. But the defense ins't all that, the O-line has struggled and the bears have lost a ton at Wr due to FA or injury. Not a great way to force in a rookie. Hopefully the kid can take this in stride, and be able to live through it. The worst thing Chicago could do is have him fail, and move back to Glennon, and kill his confidence.

Cleveland - uh oh, they are playing Qb roulette, not a good sign at all. Kizer should not have been the starter, especially considering how banged up the Wrs were(well one is still suspended....) and going with Rookies otherwise. These are the situations that kills young Qbs. You have to have some weapons for a young Qb to lean on. Take away Duke Johnson and the best Wr option they have is Louis, who has started to show lately. NJoku may be a find, as he too is developing, but not enough to help this team. O-line should be much better, but no run game to speak of. I think it will come down to the HC is a better OC than HC. No shame in that.

KC - Well, they wanted to prod and push Alex Smith, and it has worked. The KC offense has been spectacular, and Rookie Rb Hunt has helped immensely. Add to that Hill, Kelce and even Wilson have contributed. Make no mistake, Mahomes is the man in the future, but A.Smith is making the case that the future is a ways off yet. I still really, really like Mahomes though.

San Fran - well they got what they wanted. They are 0-5, but they are being competitive, and they are ready to take the Qb of the future in next year's draft. I wish they would give Beathard a shot just to see what he has. Getting some Wr depth also would help, Garcon has been solid, but not much support post that. Of course, rumors are still flying they will target Cousins next year as well.

Now, for the who is next discussion.......
NY Giants are 0-5 - this quite honestly shocks me, they have looked absolutely terrible. Manning is constantly being hit, the Wrs are dropping passes, and dropping like flies, and once again they cannot run. So .... is it time to do to Eli what was done to his brother??? Do you - Draft a Qb early first round next year, and keep Eli - to bridge? Draft early Qb and trade Eli to a team that is close and wants some stability? Or do you hang your hat on Eli, and then take other much needed help, and hope Eli survives for a year or more? - If it were me, I would say its time to blow this team up an start over. Dallas by far is ahead of Giants, and for that matter even Eagles and Redskins seem more solid than NY. If there is a Qb in this draft you really can't pass on, then you take him, and ship Eli off(Denver??? wouldn't that be ironic???) and build from the ground up. Rebuild O-line, draft young RB(Gallman???) and HOPE beyond hope that OBJ is back next year and he and Sheppard can carry young Qb.

Pittsburgh - did you hear that noise folks? That is Big Bend crashing back to humanity and throwing 5 ints in one game alone. Good grief that whole team just looks disjointed. Bell is finally seeming to get back into the swing, but you have Brown blowing up on sidelines and Ben looking really human. Dobbs didn't show much in pre-season...and the team needs lots of help. Fortunately they are in the AFC North where no one wants to win....so they still have hopes for the playoffs. But we are here to talk QB - and Big Ben is once again talking retirement. Does Pittsburgh make the move to trade up to get one of the young Qbs coming out? I think they need to think it.

Buffalo - okay I admit it, I am not a T.Taylor fan. Just not. He can be incredible and carry an offense with this legs, but I am just not feeling it with his accuracy and arm. Now, in his defense, they have not had great Wrs on that team, and the run game has been stifled. Still, I don't think the team is all in on Taylor either, and they did draft Peterman late, but not sure he isn't more than a really solid back up QB. Key here is though, Buffalo right now is in the running for the playoffs, so they may not get to sniff one of the young Qbs coming out.

Jacksonville - I think the Bortles experiment is about to end. Hmmm......wonder if this might not be a landing spot for Eli next year.......