Rookie draft for dynasty

ExperiencedRookie

ESPN has the top 10 rookies ranked as follows.

1. Montee Ball
2. Eddie Lacy
3. La'Veon Bell
4. Tavon Austin
5. Giovani Bernard
6. DeAndre Hopkins
7. Jonathon Franklin
8. Joseph Randle
9. Zac Stacy
10. Mike Gillislee

Other notables are : Justin Hunter, Zach Ertz, Geno Smith, Robert Woods, Gavin Escobar, Vance McDonald, Aaron Dobson, Christine Michael, Travis Kelce, Mike Glennon, Terrence Williams, Keenan Allen, Marquis Goodwin, Markus Wheaton, Jordan Reed, Stedman Bailey, Knile Davis, Josh Boyce, Tyler Wilson, Quinnton Patton, Marcus Lattimore, Stepfan Taylor, Kenny Stills, Corey Fuller, Latavius Murray, Andre Ellington

While there are some obvious top choices like Ball, Bell, Lacy, etc etc, which other players on this list look to be a long term viable fantasy option? I lean towards those 2 WRs in NE in Dobson and Boyce, but I don't really know much about these 2 players besides I like the fact that NE is missing all their other options.

Thoughts on these rookies in a dynasty draft please.

deuce4321

Driller
I think this year the rookie rankings are all over the place. I have seen so many different lists and none of them seem to agree. IMO this year it's best to trade out of a top pick for multiple picks and gamble with some rather then one.

ExperiencedRookie

I think this year the rookie rankings are all over the place. I have seen so many different lists and none of them seem to agree. IMO this year it's best to trade out of a top pick for multiple picks and gamble with some rather then one.
That's an interesting strategy that I hadn't considered. Hmmm. I have the 4th overall pick in a 3 round rookie draft. Maybe I can score a combo of someone else's 1st and 2nd pick from the back end of the order.

A

Axe Elf

With the #4 pick, I'd like my chances with Le'Veon Bell. He will be the best rookie this year, and will probly remain among the top 5 even if most of the other top prospects live up to expectations.

Later on, I kind of like Markus Wheaton, who is being touted as Mike Wallace's replacement (and no, I'm no particular fan of the Steelers, but they truly do have needs that they are trying to fill through the draft).

And then as your third round lottery pick, maybe take a chance on Marcus Lattimore. He is in a perfect position with the 49ers, with no pressure to get back in the lineup any time soon after his injury, but tons of upside and future promise in a dynasty league. If Lattimore is gone, Stepfan Taylor would be a nice consolation prize.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
After the top 10 our so, i love lattimore. woods and t Williams are nice values at wr. Reed could be a nice project Te. i like ertz in Philly as well.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Do you dynasty guys REALLY show your hand on the forum or are you just mimicking the talking heads?

I haven't responded, but my rookie draft is already done, so I can spout all I want :koolaid:

RBs - really Bell in Pittsburgh is the only real sure value I see. Ball in Denver looks to split time with Hillman, and with Manning there and throwing all day Hillman may be the target not Ball. GB rbs scare me, as I see RBBC and Lacy is fragile. None of the top RBs are really special. Lattimore may be, but that was a nasty, nasty injury to come back from.

Wrs - hearing great stuff about Austin in St. Louie, like his chances there....but Bradford needs to prove himself again. I simply don't buy into a #2 wr in Houston, so no fan of Hopkins.

I do like what E I think stated. IF I had a high pick, I would be more inclined to trade down, and take chances on some other talent lower.

The Qbs all seem to drop this year, as did top TEs.

Rookie draft from Hired Guns this year first round
1) Lacy GB
2) Bernard Cin
3) Austin StL
4) Ball Den
5) Manuel Buf
6) Bell Pitts
7) Hopkins Hou
8) Patterson Min
9) Franklin GB
10) G.Smith NYJ
11) J.Hunter Ten
12) K. Allen S.D.
13) Lattimore SF
14) Woods Buf
15) Eifert Cin
16) Wheaton Pitts

Escrow

I haven't responded, but my rookie draft is already done, so I can spout all I want :koolaid:

RBs - really Bell in Pittsburgh is the only real sure value I see. Ball in Denver looks to split time with Hillman, and with Manning there and throwing all day Hillman may be the target not Ball. GB rbs scare me, as I see RBBC and Lacy is fragile. None of the top RBs are really special. Lattimore may be, but that was a nasty, nasty injury to come back from.

Wrs - hearing great stuff about Austin in St. Louie, like his chances there....but Bradford needs to prove himself again. I simply don't buy into a #2 wr in Houston, so no fan of Hopkins.

I do like what E I think stated. IF I had a high pick, I would be more inclined to trade down, and take chances on some other talent lower.

The Qbs all seem to drop this year, as did top TEs.

Rookie draft from Hired Guns this year first round
1) Lacy GB
2) Bernard Cin
3) Austin StL
4) Ball Den
5) Manuel Buf
6) Bell Pitts
7) Hopkins Hou
8) Patterson Min
9) Franklin GB
10) G.Smith NYJ
11) J.Hunter Ten
12) K. Allen S.D.
13) Lattimore SF
14) Woods Buf
15) Eifert Cin
16) Wheaton Pitts

Just as reference here is where I had my players ranked(based on various factors)

4. Hopkins
10. Wheaton
16. Bailey
17. Stacy
18. Michael

Well I had pick 1.07 and 1.16 (as well as 2.01, 2.03, and 2.09)...with that being said I disagree with your valuation of D Hopkins...in fact I would take D Hop over Ball and Lacy and possibly pick him at 1.04 given the opportunity. He is a safe pick, with a ceiling of a WR2(which in a rookie draft filled with question marks I will gladly take at 1.07). Our league also has points for PR/KR yardage so I did heavily consider Patterson(who at 1.08 was also a steal), but I looked at who is throwing the ball and who is lineing up next to them and I liked Schaub/AJ/Daniels better than Ponder/Jennings/Ruldolph.

My other picks...

1.16 Wheaton- I see him as a developmental project, he has a pretty high ceiling especially in Pit with the possibility of Sanders leaving after this season

2.01 Zac Stacy- I was really hoping for Lattimore to drop to 1.16 but that was not the case, so I took who I thought could make an impact this season, Stacy was very good at Vandy and with Pead/Richardson in his way, I can see him gaining the lead back role and at worst a RBBC with one of those two.

2.03 Christine Michael- Another developmental project, to me he could be the heir to beastmode, but I also do not think that he will be the bellcow back until 2015 or 2016...unless somehow Lynch has more legal troubles. I do however think he will be the handcuff for this this year as he will easily beat our Robert Turbin.

2.09 Steadman Bailey- I had Bailey ranked 16th overall, so I could not pass him with the 25th pick. Again STL has a lot of question marks, but with those question marks someone has to emerge. The WR situation is very similar to the RB situation, Bailey has the talent to beat out Quick, Given, and Pettis(who they say is their #1 WR after OTA's but how many times have we heard that, then heard nothing from the player in the regular season?). I also like how Jared Cook is going to take the spotlight away from the WR's, which lets be honest, Kendricks was not the guy to do that in 2011 and 2012.

1 piece of advice....don't draft based on need, draft on the Best Player Avaliable....stack your roster with a good players instead of a mediocre one. With that being said you also have to factor in a players ceiling(which is why i grabbed Michael and Stacy before Bailey).

ExperiencedRookie

Rookie draft underway. I have pick 5.

So far
1. LeVeon Bell
2. Giovani Bernard
3. DeAndre Hopkins.
4. ?
And then its me. Im a little shocked that Montee Ball wasn't in the top 5. WIth this being a non PPR scoring league, Im leaning towards either Ball if he falls or Lacy. Can anyone make a case for a different pick? Tavon Austin maybe?

deuce4321

Driller
I recently took a big chance on Austin recently. I think he is great value at 5 unless you have a glaring need at RB.

ExperiencedRookie

I recently took a big chance on Austin recently. I think he is great value at 5 unless you have a glaring need at RB.

RBs are Spiller, David Wilson, Ryan Matthews, and a bunch of junk.

WRs are Nicks, Colston, Antonio Brown, Garcon

Def a little more well set up at WR.