Ron Rivera Panther's new Head Coach

mills

How does this bode for the Carolina Panthers? Jimmy Clausen? How about that #1 pick?

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I don't know what they are going to do with Jimmy Clausen. Before Luck committed to Stanford for another year, Carolina said they would take Luck with the #1 spot.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well, I hope they go out and get an established OC. A billick or some sort.

Then they will have to decide if Clausen is the future or not.

With Luck gone, i would not go Qb with teh first pick. if you can trade down, do it. If not take the DE you need to make your defense better.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I agree PhiCin with the trade down thought. They need a franchise QB and with Luck out of the draft there isn't one there.

mills

I see him trying for Vince Young possibly. Get a QB in FA and draft something to help that offense. AJ Green comes to mind...

I personally don't feel Clausen is the answer... He definitely doesn't have the support of the fans around Charlotte.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Rons a defensive coach so he'll go heavy on D in the draft if he has any say so. Defence wins games and he'll try to go that route. Problem being Carolina has not enough offensive punch to have a defensive type team. Its going to be a long losing season in Charlotte next season.

mills

I personally think our defense is fine. The Panthers need a QB and a WR other than Steve Smith. I also would accept an athletic do all TE... Rosario and King aren't doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
King only got 33 targets the last two seasons, catching 21 and 25 passes respectively. Of the 3 Panther TEs, he is the only one who has consistently caught more than 60% of his passes. Im not saying the guy was awesome or something, but considering the rest of the guys caught less than 50%, he wasnt too bad.

#1bears fan

Thought Ron deserved a head coaching shot years ago!! Wish he walked into a better situation but if they can trade down in the draft and trade Smith bring in a veteran QB to help Clausen they should be in pretty good shape.......It cant get much worse!! REBUILD

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
He deserved better, but for whatever reason he didnt have "it" in the interviews. Here is his chance to show us what he can do. 8-8 would be a miracle with that squad.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I happen to think Rivera fits the Panthers very well. A no non-sense type coach focused on Def, the means he will continue to focus on the running game to keep ball in play and rest that defense. As pointed out, the defense wasn't that bad, but needs some help. Carolina got killed by injuries and bad Qb play. Get the O-line back and healthy, and the Rbs, and get a Qb that is decent and this team could be successful in a short time.

They need a solid veteren Qb, and I think the Wrs are okay, as they have some solid youngsters with promise. So a TE that is reliable to me is the bigger need.

Phicinfan

Administrator
They need to get rid of Steve Smith

Why? Seriously, why? Why would you want to give up one of your most explosive offensive players? I haven't seen anything lately that says he is an attitude problem. Understand the past issues. Just curious if there was something I was missing?

Coachnorm

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Panthers have hired former Eagles DC Sean McDermott for the same position in Carolina.
McDermott had interviews set up with the Panthers and Broncos less than 24 hours after he was canned in Philadelphia. It's an indication that he remains highly respected in league circles despite taking the fall for the Eagles' disappointing defense in 2010. McDermott will take on more of an overseer role in Carolina with head coach Ron Rivera expected to handle play-calling duties. He's replacing Ron Meeks, who has accepted a demotion to secondary coach.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Why? Seriously, why? Why would you want to give up one of your most explosive offensive players? I haven't seen anything lately that says he is an attitude problem. Understand the past issues. Just curious if there was something I was missing?

He is a constant attitude problem. I guess you missed the incident of him screaming at Clausen on the sidelines? He is 31 years old, and Id say the should get something for him while they can.