Possitive Marijuana and Steroid Tests at the Combine

ExperiencedRookie

Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana?? I don't believe it. His Wonderlic score really made me think that he was a sharp kid.

Runnik's Hambones

Clay Matthew's agent is denying his client tested possitive:

"Our office represents Clay Matthews. Your website is reporting, via unnamed sources including one NFL team, that Clay tested positive for steroids at the NFL Combine. As I'm sure you know, the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances clearly states that 'any Club or Club employee that publicly divulges, directly or indirectly, information concerning positive tests or other violations of this Policy (including numerical summaries or specific names of persons) or otherwise breaches the confidentiality provisions of this Policy is subject to a fine of up to $500,000 by the Commissioner.'

"Further, neither Clay nor our office has received notification of any positive test, whether for steroids or any banned substance. I also have been informed by an attorney at the NFL League Office that they have not received notification from the Independent Administrator of any Draft-eligible players testing positive for steroids during the pre-employment drug testing conducted at this year's Combine, and likewise, that they have not informed the member NFL clubs of any drug testing results. Govern yourself accordingly.

Sincerely, Mark Humenik Vice President & General Counsel Athletes First"

SportingNews.com - ProFootballTalk

dukdown

Banned
Well, I already stated my opinion on this matter in the other thread about this subject, but let me say again what a brilliant job by NFL Draft Bible for getting their site name out there on every sports tv and radio show, as well as on every sports internet site, including all the major ones. Basically what they did was list the most prominent names of players who had tested postive for marijuana at some point of their college career and pass it off as inside information of players who tested positive at the combine.

bobbeaux

so, if this were real, how far do you think these guys would fall? . . . i don't think the official results are out there just yet, but if this turns out to be true how much would, could, should this hurt their draft status? . . . i can understand the immediate response to this, but another way to look at it is these guys would now be on "double secret probation" to still a pun from animal house . . . lol . . . if they did it, yeah, it's pretty stupid, especially at this time in their lives, but now it's out there and everyone is watching . . . it could help them force themselves into cleaning up their act . . . matthews to houston couldn't be a better place for him to be even moreso now . . . i can understand the risk that a coach/team would take by adding a player with character issues, but i don't see raji falling very far and i don't believe davis and harvin get out of the 1st round . . . but, then again, the cb/wr group isn't great at the top of the draft, but has a lot of value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds . . . and there is a large lb group this year especially when you throw in the tweeners . . . ;)

dukdown

Banned
If the smoking pot story was true, teams would remove them from their draft boards due to a) they have pathological marijuana use, b) they're too stupid to figure out to not smoke pot before they get tested for drug use.

The results for the drug testing doesn't get released until the week before the draft.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Regardless of the validity, the unfortunate thing here is that the nugget's been placed in everyone's heads now and it's impossible to disassociate these guys. Especially when they semi-deny the report through a 3rd party.
Sort of like "striking that from the record" in a courtroom... the jury still heard it.
You can unscrew a light bulb, but not a virgin.

dukdown

Banned
Dr. Lombardo, the aforementioned doctor who is the only person who knows the results, has officially cleared Cushing and Matthews. He said that notices were already sent out (as I wrote in the other thread), and that Cushing and Matthews were not on the list of those notified.

This of course puts the entire report by NFL Draft Bible into question. As I said earlier, my opinion is they just leaked names of players who had tested positive in college.

It's all about war, or the art of business, or however they say it these days.

One thing is clear; professional teams in the business of strategy, name making and prosperity. The Pats got caught helping draw the line in one aspect of the spy game (Illegal Video Surveillance) . How long until some team(s) get caught conspiring and help draw the disinformation line?

Sabotage!

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Don't these guys getting tested positive for weed have any will power or common sense? Put down the blunts for 4 weeks. It's really not that hard.

RLLD

Don't these guys getting tested positive for weed have any will power or common sense? Put down the blunts for 4 weeks. It's really not that hard.

I think many of the factors, including your assertion, should be something taken into consideration by anyone intending to drop millions on an unproven NFL-level talent.

I also think that we are still talking about young and dumb kids who have been enabled all their lives to get away with stuff.

dukdown

Banned
What part of "the report wasn't factual" do you not understand? It was just a way for NFL Draft Bible to get publicity. They took the names of players who had tested positive at some point of their college career and re-labled it as players who had tested positive at the combine.