Player lockout??

Remote Controller

NFLPA Tells Players to Prepare for Lockout --
Sat Dec 4, 2010 --from FFMastermind.com
AP reports the NFL Players Association is advising its members to save their last three game checks from this season to prepare for a lockout they believe will happen in March 2011. In a letter to the players, NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith said the union had an "internal deadline" for agreeing to a new collective bargaining agreement. "That deadline has now passed," he wrote. The union also said it is filing a grievance over a league threat to cancel health insurance for players should a lockout occur. The letter was dated Wednesday, and copies were strewn across a table in the New England Patriots locker room during the media availability on Saturday. Patriots player representative OT Matt Light said he is doing his best to educate his teammates on how to prepare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What effects on the end of the season might this have? Any?? Did we first see it with DeSean last week?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
This is going to get ugly.....we all knew it would. However, don't over react either. The Union by doing this is doing a few things:
1. The obvious, preparing their members for the worse case scenario. I applaud them for doing this, these players have to know this is a very real possibility and need to plan accordingly.
2. Another obvious, this is a posturing move by the NFLPA in negotiations. Hard Ball is going to be played! They want the owners to feel that they are OK walking away.
3. The 3rd item this does is right here....it get the fans into a panic and they are hoping it creates public pressure on the owners to get a deal done.

If a deal gets done....it will be right at the deadline, no a second before, just they way it goes in deals like this. I still remain optimistic that there will be a season in 2011.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Another note, if the owner's do lock in March, that is before the draft.....so what happens with the draft? Anyone have any clue?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I agree Miller. It would not surprise me to see only 2 preseason games next season but as I understand it that is the goal of the owners anyway. I just hope we don't have replacement teams next season.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Just a guess on the draft but I'd think that it would be held but no negotiations would take place until an agreement had been reached.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
If they lock the players out in March.....I am not sure how they can hold a player's draft in April.....

efactor

Coming at you
I agree Miller. It would not surprise me to see only 2 preseason games next season but as I understand it that is the goal of the owners anyway. I just hope we don't have replacement teams next season.

The goal is to replace two preseason games with two regular season games, not to just eliminate two preseason games.

If the don't reach agreement on an 18 game regular season and there is no lock out, they will definitely play 4 preseason games because of the extra revenue generated by making season ticket holders pay full pop for preseason games.

The owners won't be foolish enough to try replacements players after the debacle in 1987. That was a massive failure for just a few weeks and while it was over 20 years ago, it is still well remembered.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Hey "E" the Saints fielded one of their first competive teams with those scab players and they were very popular in the Big Easy.

Dallas Iowa

Cowboy fan
My buddies and I are considering doing a college fantasy if this lockout happens. Anybody ever done one? Kind of curious how it would work. We're thinking about only allowing BCS eligible conferences or maybe even just 2 or 3 conferences

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
There was one here last year that was alot of fun..but all the stuff for it seems like its been taken down.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
There was one here last year that was alot of fun..but all the stuff for it seems like its been taken down.
it didn't get enough support to continue this year so they chose not to do it. Have a feeling many will pop up if they don't play.

Vicious_Machine

lol, well, I am in 7 hockey leagues, all are 12 or more people except for one. Thats the sports outlaw one :p

You can usually fill up any league on yahoo if you just "post it". But yes, 90% of people who join are usually Canadian for the hockey side, lol

Remote Controller

I do not want any extra games, and in order to accomplish that the Players union needs to allow ownership to heavily cap rookie salaries. There is absolutely no reason a team should be strapped with paying D Russell. He is likely making more than Eli this year.

Last edited by a moderator: