Play GM, who you starting a team with?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
OK, you can start an NFL franchise right now. Every player is available and you can select 1 offensive player and 1 defensive player to build your team around. Who's it going to be?

ExperiencedRookie

I'm going to make the most boring and brilliant pick.

Joe Thomas.

It all starts on the front line. Young stud on my offensive line, protecting my QB, pushing for my RB.

jmsmith1

If my first two picks are of any available NFL player, I have to go LT and I would say a younger guy like Marcus McNeill.

Defense, same thing, a field general on the line, and its gotta be DeMarcus Ware

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think I'd go with Brady and Peppers. Brady over Manning b/c I think he has more time.

ExperiencedRookie

That's the first name that popped into my head too.

How can you not take the best young offensive lineman in the league?

When the Brady's and Peyton's are running out of steam and retiring in a few years, Joe will just be coming into his prime and anchoring a stout offensive line. He puts you in a position to win today and tomorrow.

ExperiencedRookie

Thomas and Willis were the first guys to pop into my head and I'll stick with them as well. Stud tackle and a tackling machine. Good start to any team............

That's what I thought too. Offensive and defensive anchors.

I considered Haynesworth...

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
How can you not take the best young offensive lineman in the league?

When the Brady's and Peyton's are running out of steam and retiring in a few years, Joe will just be coming into his prime and anchoring a stout offensive line. He puts you in a position to win today and tomorrow.
I agree, but the only issue I have is while Thomas is great, he's not all time great IMO. I can place priority on the line right after i get an all time great QB.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
What a great thread topic.

Overanalysis Alert!

I'm an expansion franchise and I have these 2 picks. Here are the factors I'm weighing heavily.

-Age I desire at least 8-10 years of high-level production.
-Citizenship Community involvement, maturity, mentorship, on/off-field leadership, stay out of the police blotter, honor your contract.
-Impact Position This narrows it down to QB, RB, or DT for me. I can have 5 slightly above average O-Lineman who jell and still have a top-10 line. Check out the Colts, Giants and Patriots over the past few years. If it's not a QB, I want to run, and stuff the run. (Sorry, that's the philosophy I was raised on)

After considering those factors, and considering all the aforementioned great picks, I'll take:

Offense: Matt Ryan, Falcons by a nose over Adrian Peterson, Vikings.
Defense: Haloti Ngata, Ravens by a nose over Aaron Curry, Seahawks.

I get Ryan all through his prime instead of Brady or Manning at their peak. I'll maintain that based on my criteria, Ngata anchors my defense without making waves for a decade. I'll have to take a RB with my 3rd pick, I guess, but I'll still get a good one. I'm a huge Willis fan, but I was high on Curry entering the draft and he'll supplant Willis as the game's top young sideline-to-sideline MLB very soon.

ExperiencedRookie

I'm a huge Willis fan, but I was high on Curry entering the draft and he'll supplant Willis as the game's top young sideline-to-sideline MLB very soon.

Why do I get the feeling that the names Tyson Jackson and Aaron Curry are going to haunt Chiefs fans for a very long time.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Tyson Jackson was my early man-crush during the draft process for the Steelers because he was the only elite 3-4 DE that carried a first round grade. The question is, will he justify being the #3 overall selection? I view him as a solid 10 year starter with an occasional pro bowl appearance. Curry, however, has the ability to develop into the best MLB in the league.
High-caliber MLB's are easier to find than pure 34 ends, so this could actually be something to revisit in 3 years.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I'm just going off of what I've casually observed, but I believe there was dialogue about moving Dorsey to a DE in a 34 scheme. Only problem with that is, I don't see a big space-eater on their current roster to fill the DT role.
They have 3 very athletic guys in the 295-300 lb. range who would fit the traditional 34 DE mold (Dorsey, Jackson, Alex Magee) which would steer me towards the opinion that they'd be better off staying with a 43 front with those 3 guys and another big LB/small DE to free up LB Derrick Johnson to make plays.
I'm probably overthinking this, but it's really hard to stop the run in a 34 if your DT can't soak up interior double-teams and you're short on LB depth.