Phics read of the draft by position

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I will break it down by position, then move to over all. This is from a FANTASY perspective, and mine. So won't be looking at Def. players.

Qb:
Chicago - Trubisky - pretty solid OL, has a great Rb, but the Wrs are young and not very experienced. Solid TE with young studly TE drafted. - overall this is not a bad spot to fall to. Assuming Fox can keep his job, this offense will revolve around the Rb, like in Carolina while Fox was there. He made Delhomme a usable Qb in Fantasy. Assuming Meredith, White and Bravermen can step up, this could be a solid spot in 2 years or so.

Kansas City - Mahomes - if you are in for the long haul, this could be a great pick. Andy Reid is a Qb guru and his offense can make anyone shine. They have solid OL, great def., Getting tools on off. with Hill and Rb by committee and a top of the line Te. He won't start this year, and has a full year to learn, and another draft to let the team get him tools.

Houston - Watson - This will probably be the one Qb with the best shot to play this year. He has a great Def. that can win games, a decent OL, great rb and solid, solid Wrs to carry him. But he has to learn, he is really raw and not very accurate. But if you are looking for the Qb to start this year....he is it. Savage will start, but he isn't durable, and Watson will probably be inplace by mid-season or so.

Cleveland - Shizer - Another interesting situation....and could potentially start this year. First I LOVE what Cleveland is doing...that is right LOVE it. They went out in FA and got HUGE fixes for a bad OL. Then they drafted a young studly Te, they have young Wrs that seem to show some talent. IF and this is a big IF, Josh Gordon is back.....then lights out for talent here. But Shizer is NOT ready to start, he is a bit of a Prima Donna, and needs to be broken down, and then rebuilt. I don't think that can happen and have him playing as well. My guess is this will be Kessler and Osweiller dueling it out to start this year. With emphasis on the run. Defense got great tools, but is still a work in progress. So I don't see the team throwing Shizer out there. I also don't like Shizer, so even if he does start, I don't think he pans out.

Sleepers -
Buffalo - Peterman - kid has spunk. He is accurate as hell, and while not the strongest arm, he can make most of the throws. May have issues with the weather and wind in Buffalo, but with the way this team will run offense with run first, he should be solid in a few years. He only has Tyrod Taylor as real competition, and Tyrod isn't the most durable guy.

Pittsburgh
- Dobbs - this kid was jumping up the boards. He is as smart as they come ...since he IS a rocket scientist. He was drafted for the future, when Big Ben finally retires, and the fact Landry Jones isn't all that. He can run, and he will have incredible tools to work with. This potentially could be a Dak Prescott kind of situation if Big Ben gets hurt.

rankings:
Trubisky
Mahomes
Dobbs
Peterman
Watson
Shizer

Rb - looking at backs in best position, not necessarily where they were or when they were drafted.

Jacksonville - Fournette - love the kid, he is a great Rb, but durability scares me, and the OL in Jax scares me. But he will be given full shot to start and make this team rumble. With Coughlin there, and his no nonsense style, I have hope for him if he can stay healthy.

Carolina - McCaffrey - don't like the pick and don't like the team. Panthers don't throw to the backs much - both due to Rbs they had, and Qb they will continue to have. Add to that Starter is there already. Does not pend well. But McCaffrey may play slot wr....and I am guessing he will be used in returns as well. But I don't think he will rate where he got drafted, nor where dynasty owners will draft him.

KC - Kamara - Oh my.......oh my...... this kid is the next coming of Sproles/Bush in N.O. What a great selection. Unfortunately he may not get much THIS year, due to Peterson and Ingram being there. But long term, if no big changes in N.O. he will be an awesome PPR kind of Rb to have.

Cincinnati - Mixon - kid has had a rough past, but this is the land of 2nd chances. Hill is fizzling out, and Gio can't stay on the field. I look for Mixon to get an early shot in Cincy, and if he can keep his nose clean, due very, very well.

Minnesota - Cook - LOVE this pick. He only has to beat out Latvius Murray, who can't stay healthy. He will get ppr shots early and with Bradford at Qb, he should get lots of passing opportunities. LOVE where this kid fell to.

KC - Hunt - they are going committee again in KC, and this kid is pretty solid. Being in OH and having kids in college in OH makes it easy for me to see this kid play. He is a pretty solid Rb. And this team LOVES to run and can give him carries in a hurry.

Houston - Foreman - He will at least be #2 this year behind Miller. He is a pretty solid rb, but not a great receiver. But this offense wants him to run. This could be a great, great fit, especially if Watson pans out. But if Watson and Savage fail, too many men in the box will kill the running game.

San Fran - Joe Williams - this kid is actually pretty solid. But there are some watchouts here. First you have Hyde and Hightower ahead of him, add to that a draft trade with Denver to get Bipps(yeah surprise,not many saw this....). So he won't get many if any chances. But keep an eye on him in deep leagues, as Hyde is losing favor due to injury history, and Hightower is really, really used up.

Rankings:
Cook
Mixon
Fournette
Kamara
Hunt
McCaffrey

Wr
Tennessee - Davis
- LOVE this move and LOVE this pick. Of all the Wrs, I have seen this kid play the most and he is the REAL deal. He catches it all ,and he is solid in route running. Somewhere Mariota may be waking from his celebratory stupor.

L.A. Chargers - Williams - well they got one of the best Wrs in this draft. Kid has a ton of talent. I just don't like Wrs in Charger land....there are too many mouths to feed, and no ONE Wr or Te seems to be consistently the target. I would NOT avoid him, but I won't take him as high as some will.

Buffalo - Jones - solid pick here and he will probably be starting right away. Not a great passing offense, but still he will be the possession receiver, so if you are in PPR this kid could be a great target.

Cincinnati - Ross - Yuck, yuck. Yes he has speed to burn, but he doesn't stay on the field. Add to that the offense still will revolve around Green and Eifert(when on the field) and the Rbs. But he will get his deep shot, and probably be given a shot at the return job.

Carolina - Samuel - I am of two minds on this kid. I am a HUGE The Ohio State fan(and alum...) and he has speed to burn. Played Rb and Wr, and has a great shot as a slot Wr. I assume this is Carolina's move to replace Ginn, and if he is that productive he is worth the shot. My fear is what they will do with McCaffrey as well. May take some shots away from Samuel.

L.A Rams - Kupp - small college kid who can catch it all. Hell, SOMEONE in L.A. has to catch a ball, assuming Goff can get the ball out. The Qb and OL is the only real hindrance here.

Pittsburgh - Schuster - This is Bryant insurance, and Coates replacement. Keep him in mind for deep leagues, but I don't see much happening here.

Tennesee - Taylor - great receiver, in a Wr starved team. At some point both rookies could be starting in Tenn. Of the two I prefer Davis, but keep an eye on this kid as well.

Tampa Bay - Godwin - he was a pretty solid Wr in Penn State, and he could end up working to be #2 but he may not get many passes to him.

Not a great Wr draft folks.....
Rankings:
Davis
Jones
Williams
Samuel
Taylor
Godwin
Ross
Kupp

Te:
Tampa Bay - Howard - one of the best Tes in this draft, but will have to earn time over Brate. Long term though this kid should shine.

NYGiants - Engram - not really a TE as he has NO blocking skills, but a big Wr with some decent speed. Not a great situation though...as he is basically a Brandon Marshall clone.

Cleveland - Njoku
- Barnidge is gone and the young Qbs will be looking for Tes for dump offs. Not a bad spot to be in.

L.A. Rams - Everett - they need all the help they can get on that team, now if Goff can learn to throw.......

Chicago - Shaheen - Love this kid, and could be in great position as the Wrs are young. He has Zach Miller in front of him, but not a big issue there. Big issue will be how well Qb situation goes in Chi.

Denver - Butt - yes I said it, or typed it...can't wait for Denver to show off some Butt :D Actually had he not been hurt he probably would have gone much higher. Could be a great red zone option in Denver.

Rankings:
Howard
NJoku
Butt
Shaheen
Engram
Everett

Overall rankings top 10:
I will caveat this. This depends on scoring. So if you get major scores for Qbs that would skew it some....
1) Cook - Minn
2) Mixon - Cincy
3) Fournette - Jax
4) Davis - Tenn
5) Kamara - N.O.
6) Trubisky - Chi
7) Williams - L.A. Chargers
8) Jones - Buffalo
9) Hunt - KC
10) Howard - Tampa Bay

hikeNbike

I like Howard a lot and in a great offense. I don't think Brate is a threat. He is a good TE but he is not an all pro type like Howard. My concern I guess would be lots of mouths to feed. Evans being top receiver of course and I can't recall who but I thought they signed a free agent wr too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hikeNbike

I think I'd move Howard up to 3, possibly 2 if you think Nixon can't stay out of trouble. I wouldn't put any qbs other than Watson in the top 10.

ExperiencedRookie

I like Howard a lot and in a great offense. I don't think Brate is a threat. He is a good TE but he is not an all pro type like Howard. My concern I guess would be lots of mouths to feed. Evans being top receiver of course and I can't recall who but I thought they signed a free agent wr too.

Picked up DeSean Jackson in FA

ExperiencedRookie

I will break it down by position, then move to over all. This is from a FANTASY perspective, and mine. So won't be looking at Def. players.

Qb:
Chicago - Trubisky - pretty solid OL, has a great Rb, but the Wrs are young and not very experienced. Solid TE with young studly TE drafted. - overall this is not a bad spot to fall to. Assuming Fox can keep his job, this offense will revolve around the Rb, like in Carolina while Fox was there. He made Delhomme a usable Qb in Fantasy. Assuming Meredith, White and Bravermen can step up, this could be a solid spot in 2 years or so.

Kansas City - Mahomes - if you are in for the long haul, this could be a great pick. Andy Reid is a Qb guru and his offense can make anyone shine. They have solid OL, great def., Getting tools on off. with Hill and Rb by committee and a top of the line Te. He won't start this year, and has a full year to learn, and another draft to let the team get him tools.

Houston - Watson - This will probably be the one Qb with the best shot to play this year. He has a great Def. that can win games, a decent OL, great rb and solid, solid Wrs to carry him. But he has to learn, he is really raw and not very accurate. But if you are looking for the Qb to start this year....he is it. Savage will start, but he isn't durable, and Watson will probably be inplace by mid-season or so.

Cleveland - Shizer - Another interesting situation....and could potentially start this year. First I LOVE what Cleveland is doing...that is right LOVE it. They went out in FA and got HUGE fixes for a bad OL. Then they drafted a young studly Te, they have young Wrs that seem to show some talent. IF and this is a big IF, Josh Gordon is back.....then lights out for talent here. But Shizer is NOT ready to start, he is a bit of a Prima Donna, and needs to be broken down, and then rebuilt. I don't think that can happen and have him playing as well. My guess is this will be Kessler and Osweiller dueling it out to start this year. With emphasis on the run. Defense got great tools, but is still a work in progress. So I don't see the team throwing Shizer out there. I also don't like Shizer, so even if he does start, I don't think he pans out.

Sleepers -
Buffalo - Peterman - kid has spunk. He is accurate as hell, and while not the strongest arm, he can make most of the throws. May have issues with the weather and wind in Buffalo, but with the way this team will run offense with run first, he should be solid in a few years. He only has Tyrod Taylor as real competition, and Tyrod isn't the most durable guy.

Pittsburgh
- Dobbs - this kid was jumping up the boards. He is as smart as they come ...since he IS a rocket scientist. He was drafted for the future, when Big Ben finally retires, and the fact Landry Jones isn't all that. He can run, and he will have incredible tools to work with. This potentially could be a Dak Prescott kind of situation if Big Ben gets hurt.

rankings:
Trubisky
Mahomes
Dobbs
Peterman
Watson
Shizer

Rb - looking at backs in best position, not necessarily where they were or when they were drafted.

Jacksonville - Fournette - love the kid, he is a great Rb, but durability scares me, and the OL in Jax scares me. But he will be given full shot to start and make this team rumble. With Coughlin there, and his no nonsense style, I have hope for him if he can stay healthy.

Carolina - McCaffrey - don't like the pick and don't like the team. Panthers don't throw to the backs much - both due to Rbs they had, and Qb they will continue to have. Add to that Starter is there already. Does not pend well. But McCaffrey may play slot wr....and I am guessing he will be used in returns as well. But I don't think he will rate where he got drafted, nor where dynasty owners will draft him.

KC - Kamara - Oh my.......oh my...... this kid is the next coming of Sproles/Bush in N.O. What a great selection. Unfortunately he may not get much THIS year, due to Peterson and Ingram being there. But long term, if no big changes in N.O. he will be an awesome PPR kind of Rb to have.

Cincinnati - Mixon - kid has had a rough past, but this is the land of 2nd chances. Hill is fizzling out, and Gio can't stay on the field. I look for Mixon to get an early shot in Cincy, and if he can keep his nose clean, due very, very well.

Minnesota - Cook - LOVE this pick. He only has to beat out Latvius Murray, who can't stay healthy. He will get ppr shots early and with Bradford at Qb, he should get lots of passing opportunities. LOVE where this kid fell to.

KC - Hunt - they are going committee again in KC, and this kid is pretty solid. Being in OH and having kids in college in OH makes it easy for me to see this kid play. He is a pretty solid Rb. And this team LOVES to run and can give him carries in a hurry.

Houston - Foreman - He will at least be #2 this year behind Miller. He is a pretty solid rb, but not a great receiver. But this offense wants him to run. This could be a great, great fit, especially if Watson pans out. But if Watson and Savage fail, too many men in the box will kill the running game.

San Fran - Joe Williams - this kid is actually pretty solid. But there are some watchouts here. First you have Hyde and Hightower ahead of him, add to that a draft trade with Denver to get Bipps(yeah surprise,not many saw this....). So he won't get many if any chances. But keep an eye on him in deep leagues, as Hyde is losing favor due to injury history, and Hightower is really, really used up.

Rankings:
Cook
Mixon
Fournette
Kamara
Hunt
McCaffrey

Wr
Tennessee - Davis
- LOVE this move and LOVE this pick. Of all the Wrs, I have seen this kid play the most and he is the REAL deal. He catches it all ,and he is solid in route running. Somewhere Mariota may be waking from his celebratory stupor.

L.A. Chargers - Williams - well they got one of the best Wrs in this draft. Kid has a ton of talent. I just don't like Wrs in Charger land....there are too many mouths to feed, and no ONE Wr or Te seems to be consistently the target. I would NOT avoid him, but I won't take him as high as some will.

Buffalo - Jones - solid pick here and he will probably be starting right away. Not a great passing offense, but still he will be the possession receiver, so if you are in PPR this kid could be a great target.

Cincinnati - Ross - Yuck, yuck. Yes he has speed to burn, but he doesn't stay on the field. Add to that the offense still will revolve around Green and Eifert(when on the field) and the Rbs. But he will get his deep shot, and probably be given a shot at the return job.

Carolina - Samuel - I am of two minds on this kid. I am a HUGE The Ohio State fan(and alum...) and he has speed to burn. Played Rb and Wr, and has a great shot as a slot Wr. I assume this is Carolina's move to replace Ginn, and if he is that productive he is worth the shot. My fear is what they will do with McCaffrey as well. May take some shots away from Samuel.

L.A Rams - Kupp - small college kid who can catch it all. Hell, SOMEONE in L.A. has to catch a ball, assuming Goff can get the ball out. The Qb and OL is the only real hindrance here.

Pittsburgh - Schuster - This is Bryant insurance, and Coates replacement. Keep him in mind for deep leagues, but I don't see much happening here.

Tennesee - Taylor - great receiver, in a Wr starved team. At some point both rookies could be starting in Tenn. Of the two I prefer Davis, but keep an eye on this kid as well.

Tampa Bay - Godwin - he was a pretty solid Wr in Penn State, and he could end up working to be #2 but he may not get many passes to him.

Not a great Wr draft folks.....
Rankings:
Davis
Jones
Williams
Samuel
Taylor
Godwin
Ross
Kupp

Te:
Tampa Bay - Howard - one of the best Tes in this draft, but will have to earn time over Brate. Long term though this kid should shine.

NYGiants - Engram - not really a TE as he has NO blocking skills, but a big Wr with some decent speed. Not a great situation though...as he is basically a Brandon Marshall clone.

Cleveland - Njoku
- Barnidge is gone and the young Qbs will be looking for Tes for dump offs. Not a bad spot to be in.

L.A. Rams - Everett - they need all the help they can get on that team, now if Goff can learn to throw.......

Chicago - Shaheen - Love this kid, and could be in great position as the Wrs are young. He has Zach Miller in front of him, but not a big issue there. Big issue will be how well Qb situation goes in Chi.

Denver - Butt - yes I said it, or typed it...can't wait for Denver to show off some Butt :D Actually had he not been hurt he probably would have gone much higher. Could be a great red zone option in Denver.

Rankings:
Howard
NJoku
Butt
Shaheen
Engram
Everett

Overall rankings top 10:
I will caveat this. This depends on scoring. So if you get major scores for Qbs that would skew it some....
1) Cook - Minn
2) Mixon - Cincy
3) Fournette - Jax
4) Davis - Tenn
5) Kamara - N.O.
6) Trubisky - Chi
7) Williams - L.A. Chargers
8) Jones - Buffalo
9) Hunt - KC
10) Howard - Tampa Bay
Do you consider these dynasty rankings as well?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
In some cases yes. I may take a 2nd look at these as I am moving Hunt higher and higher the more I hear how he is doing in OTAs