Phic's attempt at the draft

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This is how I personally feel it should go. I am no expert. I am merely going by what I perceive at team needs, and best talent to reach there. This will be the first round and maybe some of the 2nd round....to make a point.

1.1) St. Louis Rams - Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
Ideally they would trade down, and maybe they will. I just don't see Bradford as the end all be all, and his shoulder scares the hell out of me. I also don't see spending this huge of money for DT. As such, assuming they can't trade down, you take the top OT in this draft to protect S.Jackson and your Qb of the future. If they do trade down, I still think OT will be the target.
1.2)Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
Detroit has made some great moves. Can they parley this pick in a trade to get value if Bradford is there...hopefully. But trading in the top 5 is risky and costly. So you take the DT that will help totally revamp the DL for Detroit and make them a much better defense. OT would be an option...but I think you can address that later in round 2.
1.3) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
Perfect DT for this defense in a DL that is in desperate need of help. This would be a perfect fit for Tampa and their cover 2 defense.
1.4) Washington Redskins - Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
Surprise pick? I don't think so. OLT is a must, especially now that their starting Qb is an aging vet with some injury history. Getting the franchise LT to protect McNabb is a must. Yes there maybe some value better...and a deal here for a Qb hungry team is a possibility.
1.5) Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Berry S Tennessee
I know OT is a popular opinion here. And One I can agree with. But with the top two off the board ( no I am NOT a Baluga backer...) I see them hitting another key area with one of the top talents in this draft. Berry is a beast, and will help this defense immediately in an area they need help.
1.6) Seattle Seahawks - Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
I hate this pick, but I don't see anyone elevating the other OTs over Bulaga. And OT is a dire, dire need for Seattle. QB could be an option here...with Bradford still on the board....but OT is just too important, and the top two are gone already. Qb may be an option for Seattle later. Plus they just traded for Whitehurst...who is the future?!?!?!
1.7) Cleveland Browns - Sam Bradford Qb Oklahoma
Cleveland plays it smart, does not deal up, and still gets the Qb of the future they wanted, and will eventually need. Assuming he can stay on the field. The other key need is S, and if Berry was there it could happen, but with Berry off the board, and S value not worth this high a pick, you go and get your Qb guy for Holmgren. Meanwhile, Buffalo's happy dance seeing Bradford dropping just ended in a thud!
1.8) Oakland Raiders - Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
I am not a combine fan, and don't think Bruce Campbell deserves to be raised as the next great OT. Davis is solid, and will help an aging and awful line in Oakland to help a running game and protect whomever will be the next Qb. Qb with Clausen is an option...but I think Clausen is a mistake, and will drop like Aaron Rodgers did a few years ago. I also don't believe you draft a Qb to get killed so you need a O-line first.
1.9) Buffalo Bills - Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
This seems like a reach. And...it is. But if I am going to reach, I am going to reach at a dire, dire need. OL has been awful for Buffalo. Adding a young Qb to die here won't help. Actually, with the lack of receivers, Tes and OL a Qb won't help. My other choice here would have been even more unpopular. That being Dan Williams the best pure NT in this draft. With the switch to a 3-4 this could be a great help. Still, OT is the most pressing need.
1.10) Jacksonville Jaguars - Earl Thomas S Texas
To me this was a S or DE choice. None of the OLB ( another need ) fit here IMO. As they have spent multiple picks on the line the last few drafts, this was the shot to get another def. need. S is dire, as Nelson has not lived up to his drafting. Plus this is a great fit for this defense.
1.11) Denver Broncos - Rolando McClain ILB Alabama
OL needs help, Safety is a must, but you don't waste a pick here for Mays, and I don't think the OL talent left derserves this high a draft slot. So you fill another key need with the best talent on the board in that position with McClain. Wr may be a need as well, but I don't see McDaniels wanting Dez that bad, and no other wr is worth a first round selection. Better to address that later, or in the next round.
1.12) Miami Dolphins - Dan Williams DT Tennessee
This is simply a must need. Had they not gone and traded to get Marshall, Bryant would have found a home here IMO. But they need to get some youth and depth on the defense, and Williams is custom fit for this type play. This will make Tuna very, very happy.
1.13) San Francisco 49ers - Joe Haden Cb Florida
The minute Cleveland did not go CB.....you could hear music playing in San Fran. This is a real need, and the other needs can be addressed later. DE like Pierre-Paul could be an option...but getting Haden here is a real steal, and allows San Fran to be wide open with there other pick later.
1.14) Seattle Seahawks - Derrick Morgan DE Geogia Tech
This is another key need, and you win buy building the lines. They need pass rush, and this guy will give it. Great attitude and ability will give the defense a much needed boost.
1.15) New York Giants - Mike Iupati G Idaho
Giants need to re-establish the tough down the line Off. line they once had. This guy will start at G, but could very easily move to OT later, or even earlier, like Brandon Albert. ILB and DT are needs as well, but with Williams and McClain already gone...this was the next dire need.
1.16) Tennessee Titans - Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida
Ladies and Gentlemen....meet the Freak part deux! Tennessee desperately needs help on DE and getting pressure on Qb with the loss of Vanden bosch. This guy has a motor that won't quit...and I can't wait to see him on this defense. I just wished he would have lasted to the Eagles.
1.17) San Francisco 49ers - Sergio Kindle OLB Texas
OL talent not worth this pick, we got the corner they desperately needed already, and don't need to go Rb for return help with trade for Ginn. So instead you fill a need and get pass rushing help at OLB with Kindle. Had Pierre-Paul not gone...this could have been a solution as well. But this guy will only help a young Defense get even better.
1.18) Pittsburgh Steelers - Maurkice Pouncey C/G Florida
It is unheard of to draft a C this early in a draft. However, you can't deny the multitude of issues that Pittsburgh has at OL. Adding Pouncey now, will give them much needed fix to an awful interior line, helping to protect Jail bait boy ( Roethlisburger) and help the running game. Iupati could have been a great fit as well. But this guy could start at G, and move to C when they need it in the future.
1.19) Atlanta Falcons - Brandon Graham DE Michigan
Atlanta has major issues on Def. DE and OLB are all key hurts. Secondary help as well, but not as dire. Of the talent left, Graham is a perfect fit. Gets them some pass rush help, and run game help as well. Good, solid all around game for Graham.
1.20) Houston Texans - Kyle Wilson Cb Kansas State
Could have gone two directions here. You could go Rb....but I just see Spiller as Slaton part duex. Or get the Cb you need, especially with the loss of Dunta Robinson. Wilson will be a solid corner for them, and hits a key need.
1.21) Cincinnati Bengals - Dez Bryant Wr Oklahoma State
Yep, I did it. Bengals need depth in key areas...but you just can't pass up this talent. I know most feel Gresham wil go here, but cincy just does not use the TE that much...and do need Wr help, since Ocho will be gone soon. This will be a great fit to open up the passing game even more with Antonio Bryant, Ocho and now Dez Bryant in the slot.
1.22) New England Patriots - Sean Wetherspoon OLB Missouri
They need some youth on this defense. They also need someone who can rush off the outside. I actually like Wetherspoon more than Kindle...so this is a good fit for a team in need.
1.23) Green Bay Packers - Charles Brown OT USC
Hate this pick. Just hate it. But with the early run on OL in this draft...and the dire need GB has, you have to go here. I will say Brown is better than they have now...other than Lang. He is also better than OTs taken in last years draft in this area. Only other direction I could see here is CB. But with Wilson off...I think they need OT help more desperately.
1.24) Philadelphia Eagles - Patrick Robinson Cb Florida State
With the trade with Seattle for Tapp, and the trade just consumated to get Simms. The main target for this draft early has to be at the DBs. You need to get that stud S or Cb here. I went CB, since I feel that is the more dire need. With the trade of Sheldon Brown to Cleveland...they need help quickly. I like Robinson,and feel he will be solid either starting, or as the #3 if Hobbs starts opposit Samuel. They can then focus on S in round 2.
1.25) Baltimore Ravens - Jermaine Gresham Te Oklahoma
This is clearly a luxury pick. But one I like. They went out and got the Wr they needed with Boldin. They went out and re-signed Mason. But they need a guy to take the middle and be there game in and game out...and Te that is a miss. This guy will only make Flacco better. Giving themselves one of the top TEs since Heap was young and healthy.
1.26) Arizona Cardinals - Jerry Hughes OLB Texas Christian Univ
Arizona needs to fill holes on its defense. The loss at Lb is bad, and no ILB is worth taking here now that McClain is gone. Taking Hughes will give them some much needed youth at LB, and get them some outstanding pass rushing capability as well.
1.27) Dallas Cowboys - Taylor Mays S USC
Dallas has issues at Safety, and this guy has the speed and tenacity to get what they need done. I would go OT, but the early rush has squeezed that value. This is a heck of a guy, and I would be happy if Philly had taken him.
1.28) San Diego Chargers - Jared Odrick DT Penn State
Looks like Spiller may fall to the 2nd round. I know no one believes this, and I don't either..but I don't see him as an every down back, and Chargers already have a change of pace type now. So we hit another dire need which is DT. This guy has shot up the boards lately, and will be a solid fit on the aging DL that San Diego has.
1.29) New York Jets - Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
Is this Gholston part duex? Maybe, but I love this kids play, and in that defense he will be a solid addition.
1.30) Minnesota Vikings - Jimmy Clausen Qb Notre Dame
No brainer here folks. They need the Qb of the future, and this late in the first round this is a low risk move. With the O-line they have, the running game they have, and with Favre to mentor him for a year...this is a perfect fit.
1.31) Indianapolis Colts - Devin McCourty Cb Rutgers
This late you need to take the best talent available. Indy doens't need a rb...so I will take a flyer on a young Cb to help the depth with losses in Fa this year.
1.32) New Orleans Saints - Sean Lee LB Penn State
With losses of LB in Fa, this is a must move. Safety could be an issue as well, but Sharper may come back...and LB is more dire to me.

2nd round

2.1 St. Louis Rams - Colt McCoy Qb Texas
Here we get exactly what we need. A Qb that knows how to win, can make all the throws, and has an OT to keep him off the turf.

Again,
This is only how I see it. Some of these may seem like reaches..but I actually like the way this turned out.

Bold move with SL. I like your logic for them but am not sure they will go in that direction and being a Bradford fan I would not be upset if they went with him.

Jimmy to Minny - although not a fan of Clausen it will be nice if they prepare for post-Favre now.

Phicinfan

Administrator
wow, no CJ Spiller in the 1st? Not a problem for me just curious as to your reasoning.
Its just me. But I don't see Spiller as an every down back.

For all the hub bub of how great he is, when I got to teams that could use RB help......they had other key needs that had to be addressed and that player was there. NO, was a thought, as Thomas has still not signed his RFA contract...and they lost Bell....but they kept Bush...so Spiller didn't fit.

Notice also I only have one each of Wr and Te going also...which would be extremely rare.

My guess is someone will draft Spiller....probably late first. I obviously did not include trades....and my fear for St. Louis is if this falls even close to what I have here...some other Qb needy team may trade up to get McCoy before he gets to Rams pick in the 2nd.

I obviously did not include trades....and my fear for St. Louis is if this falls even close to what I have here...some other Qb needy team may trade up to get McCoy before he gets to Rams pick in the 2nd.

I think it was you who mentioned on another thread about SL trading out of #1 - p/u OT w/ like Cle's pick and then go QB in the 2nd. Then again if McCoy was not there I am much higher than most on Tebow so I would still like that strategy.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
In addition to not passing on a franchise QB with the 1st overall pick, the other mantra should be that you should address a glaring need with a player who is head/shoulders above the 2nd best guy at his position. If Okung fit that bill I'd have no issues with that pick. If they pass on Bradford, then either Suh or McCoy must be the pick since they're 1a and 1b at what's become a premium position, and they're far ahead of the 2nd tier at DT.
Great read Phic. However I also believe though that one of the RB-needy teams would jump all over Spiller if he made it past Frisco's 2nd pick. (Houston, San Diego)

Phicinfan

Administrator
Time to assess how I did. Which my gut says is awful.

1.1) St. Louis Rams - Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
Ideally they would trade down, and maybe they will. I just don't see Bradford as the end all be all, and his shoulder scares the hell out of me. I also don't see spending this huge of money for DT. As such, assuming they can't trade down, you take the top OT in this draft to protect S.Jackson and your Qb of the future. If they do trade down, I still think OT will be the target.
Well they went Qb. Not a real shocker, and they do need a Qb. I hope for their sake Bradford can stay healthy. I am on record though that I still think McCoy was the Qb to have in this draft. At least they did not pull a Denver move :biglaugh: Plus, there are Qb hungry teams...and Clausen and McCoy are there...they need to parlay the 2nd round pick into more picks now. :banghead:
1.2)Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
Detroit has made some great moves. Can they parley this pick in a trade to get value if Bradford is there...hopefully. But trading in the top 5 is risky and costly. So you take the DT that will help totally revamp the DL for Detroit and make them a much better defense. OT would be an option...but I think you can address that later in round 2.
Nailed it, no real reach though....:eek:bvious:
1.3) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
Perfect DT for this defense in a DL that is in desperate need of help. This would be a perfect fit for Tampa and their cover 2 defense.
Again I am on it :eek:bvious:
1.4) Washington Redskins - Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
Surprise pick? I don't think so. OLT is a must, especially now that their starting Qb is an aging vet with some injury history. Getting the franchise LT to protect McNabb is a must. Yes there maybe some value better...and a deal here for a Qb hungry team is a possibility.
Three for three! :thrash:
1.5) Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Berry S Tennessee
I know OT is a popular opinion here. And One I can agree with. But with the top two off the board ( no I am NOT a Baluga backer...) I see them hitting another key area with one of the top talents in this draft. Berry is a beast, and will help this defense immediately in an area they need help.
Four for four. Yes they need OL help...but hey you got to fix that defense. :thrash:
1.6) Seattle Seahawks - Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
I hate this pick, but I don't see anyone elevating the other OTs over Bulaga. And OT is a dire, dire need for Seattle. QB could be an option here...with Bradford still on the board....but OT is just too important, and the top two are gone already. Qb may be an option for Seattle later. Plus they just traded for Whitehurst...who is the future?!?!?!
Well, get a half point here for right position. Can't believe Okung fell to them. Nice pick up for Seattle.:D
1.7) Cleveland Browns - Sam Bradford Qb Oklahoma
Cleveland plays it smart, does not deal up, and still gets the Qb of the future they wanted, and will eventually need. Assuming he can stay on the field. The other key need is S, and if Berry was there it could happen, but with Berry off the board, and S value not worth this high a pick, you go and get your Qb guy for Holmgren. Meanwhile, Buffalo's happy dance seeing Bradford dropping just ended in a thud!
Blew this pick. I assumed with the trade for Sheldon Brown they would not address CB this year. Haden might be a great add, and Brown was injury prone lately. Gives this defense some great depth at CB now.:sweat:
1.8) Oakland Raiders - Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
I am not a combine fan, and don't think Bruce Campbell deserves to be raised as the next great OT. Davis is solid, and will help an aging and awful line in Oakland to help a running game and protect whomever will be the next Qb. Qb with Clausen is an option...but I think Clausen is a mistake, and will drop like Aaron Rodgers did a few years ago. I also don't believe you draft a Qb to get killed so you need a O-line first.
blew this one too! I had no idea they would not reach here. I kind of like the McClain pick. But OL has to be addressed with next pick.:sweat:
1.9) Buffalo Bills - Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
This seems like a reach. And...it is. But if I am going to reach, I am going to reach at a dire, dire need. OL has been awful for Buffalo. Adding a young Qb to die here won't help. Actually, with the lack of receivers, Tes and OL a Qb won't help. My other choice here would have been even more unpopular. That being Dan Williams the best pure NT in this draft. With the switch to a 3-4 this could be a great help. Still, OT is the most pressing need.
Three blown picks in a row. I am not a fan of the Spiller pick here. That being said I should have known, and Gailey said time and again they want a scat back type to bring flash to his offense. That is exactly what
Spiller is.:sweat:
1.10) Jacksonville Jaguars - Earl Thomas S Texas
To me this was a S or DE choice. None of the OLB ( another need ) fit here IMO. As they have spent multiple picks on the line the last few drafts, this was the shot to get another def. need. S is dire, as Nelson has not lived up to his drafting. Plus this is a great fit for this defense.
At least I can take some solice in the fact that no one, I mean NO ONE, expected the Jaguars to pull an Oakland move. Not a bad player...but what a friggen reach. :scared:
1.11) Denver Broncos - Rolando McClain ILB Alabama
OL needs help, Safety is a must, but you don't waste a pick here for Mays, and I don't think the OL talent left derserves this high a draft slot. So you fill another key need with the best talent on the board in that position with McClain. Wr may be a need as well, but I don't see McDaniels wanting Dez that bad, and no other wr is worth a first round selection. Better to address that later, or in the next round.
Our first trade and San Fran moves up to take an OT.....which they probably could have stayed pat for. Still, I love the commitment to the OL that San Fran has in this draft. :headscratch:
1.12) Miami Dolphins - Dan Williams DT Tennessee
This is simply a must need. Had they not gone and traded to get Marshall, Bryant would have found a home here IMO. But they need to get some youth and depth on the defense, and Williams is custom fit for this type play. This will make Tuna very, very happy.
Trade #2, San Diego over reaches for their replacement Rb. Granted....Houston or some other Rb hungry teams may have been tempted...but to go this high has got to be a head scratcher.:headscratch:
1.13) San Francisco 49ers - Joe Haden Cb Florida
The minute Cleveland did not go CB.....you could hear music playing in San Fran. This is a real need, and the other needs can be addressed later. DE like Pierre-Paul could be an option...but getting Haden here is a real steal, and allows San Fran to be wide open with there other pick later.
Treade #3 Eagles want the hybrid DE they druel over, and keep him away from NY Giants. High cost with two third round picks...but if this guy ends up being the next Cole...I like it. Alot less question marks than Pierre-Paul. Still, high price to pay. :sweat:
1.14) Seattle Seahawks - Derrick Morgan DE Geogia Tech
This is another key need, and you win buy building the lines. They need pass rush, and this guy will give it. Great attitude and ability will give the defense a much needed boost.
Missed this one. I thought they felt DL was more an issue than S. They got a great player in Earl Thomas though. Still, can't believe Morgan is still available.:banghead:
1.15) New York Giants - Mike Iupati G Idaho
Giants need to re-establish the tough down the line Off. line they once had. This guy will start at G, but could very easily move to OT later, or even earlier, like Brandon Albert. ILB and DT are needs as well, but with Williams and McClain already gone...this was the next dire need.
Blew this pick as well. But happily so! Giants need OL, and they go DE, and take a guy with huge upside, but big questionmarks. They also let the best DE in this draft fall to a DE desperate team. Thank you NYG!!! :biglaugh:
1.16) Tennessee Titans - Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida
Ladies and Gentlemen....meet the Freak part deux! Tennessee desperately needs help on DE and getting pressure on Qb with the loss of Vanden bosch. This guy has a motor that won't quit...and I can't wait to see him on this defense. I just wished he would have lasted to the Eagles.
Right target area, wrong player. I won't punish myself though as there is no way Tenn. should have gotten Morgan. Great pick for Tenn. :thrash:
1.17) San Francisco 49ers - Sergio Kindle OLB Texas
OL talent not worth this pick, we got the corner they desperately needed already, and don't need to go Rb for return help with trade for Ginn. So instead you fill a need and get pass rushing help at OLB with Kindle. Had Pierre-Paul not gone...this could have been a solution as well. But this guy will only help a young Defense get even better.
Blew this pick. Never though San Fran would focus so much on OL, but I applaud the pick. Iupati and Davis will really, really help this O-line. I will now re-assess my views on Gore and coffee and Crabtree and Davis and A. Smith now. :sob:
1.18) Pittsburgh Steelers - Maurkice Pouncey C/G Florida
It is unheard of to draft a C this early in a draft. However, you can't deny the multitude of issues that Pittsburgh has at OL. Adding Pouncey now, will give them much needed fix to an awful interior line, helping to protect Jail bait boy ( Roethlisburger) and help the running game. Iupati could have been a great fit as well. But this guy could start at G, and move to C when they need it in the future.
Got this one right. Great pick, and fits a great need. Nice job by Pitts. :thumbsup:
1.19) Atlanta Falcons - Brandon Graham DE Michigan
Atlanta has major issues on Def. DE and OLB are all key hurts. Secondary help as well, but not as dire. Of the talent left, Graham is a perfect fit. Gets them some pass rush help, and run game help as well. Good, solid all around game for Graham.
They had two key needs. DL was gone by now, so they got great value in Weatherspoon at OLB. Nice pick for Atlanta...but I blew it. :banghead:
1.20) Houston Texans - Kyle Wilson Cb Kansas State
Could have gone two directions here. You could go Rb....but I just see Spiller as Slaton part duex. Or get the Cb you need, especially with the loss of Dunta Robinson. Wilson will be a solid corner for them, and hits a key need.
I am kicking myself here. I actually had Jackson rated higher, but though no one would pull that trigger with Wilson available. I was wrong. Houston filled a key need, with a great cover Cb. :sob:
1.21) Cincinnati Bengals - Dez Bryant Wr Oklahoma State
Yep, I did it. Bengals need depth in key areas...but you just can't pass up this talent. I know most feel Gresham wil go here, but cincy just does not use the TE that much...and do need Wr help, since Ocho will be gone soon. This will be a great fit to open up the passing game even more with Antonio Bryant, Ocho and now Dez Bryant in the slot.
This one floors me. First I was wrong so :thumbsdow:
Still, White is there, you have key Wr issues, and you let White and for that matter Thomas go and take a Te. Now granted, TE is a need....if you know how to friggen use one. Which they don't. Unless Cincy continues to revamp the off., this was a waste. :banghead:
1.22) New England Patriots - Sean Wetherspoon OLB Missouri
They need some youth on this defense. They also need someone who can rush off the outside. I actually like Wetherspoon more than Kindle...so this is a good fit for a team in need.
Blew this pick due to trade. Denver in a great move makes the trade up to get a much needed Wr in Thomas. He should be able to eventually fill Marshall's shoes. NE trades down and gets more value draft picks. Nice move, bad pick on my part. :thumbsdow:
1.23) Green Bay Packers - Charles Brown OT USC
Hate this pick. Just hate it. But with the early run on OL in this draft...and the dire need GB has, you have to go here. I will say Brown is better than they have now...other than Lang. He is also better than OTs taken in last years draft in this area. Only other direction I could see here is CB. But with Wilson off...I think they need OT help more desperately.
Can't fault myself too much here. Did not see Baluga falling this far, but hit the right position for GB. This had to be tough...as with Wilson staring them in the face......they could easily address the CB depth question. But no question that they hit the key need on OL. :thrash:
1.24) Philadelphia Eagles - Patrick Robinson Cb Florida State
With the trade with Seattle for Tapp, and the trade just consumated to get Simms. The main target for this draft early has to be at the DBs. You need to get that stud S or Cb here. I went CB, since I feel that is the more dire need. With the trade of Sheldon Brown to Cleveland...they need help quickly. I like Robinson,and feel he will be solid either starting, or as the #3 if Hobbs starts opposit Samuel. They can then focus on S in round 2.
Dallas trades to get the pick from Denver to get the Wr they need?!?!?!
I am not a Roy E. Williams fan. Romo needed more targets. White is sitting there so why not? Denver how ever has to be smacking themselves in the head though. They traded up for Thomas...and could have gotten him for less cost. :headscratch:
1.25) Baltimore Ravens - Jermaine Gresham Te Oklahoma
This is clearly a luxury pick. But one I like. They went out and got the Wr they needed with Boldin. They went out and re-signed Mason. But they need a guy to take the middle and be there game in and game out...and Te that is a miss. This guy will only make Flacco better. Giving themselves one of the top TEs since Heap was young and healthy.
Now for the bone head pick of the draft. Denver takes a trade up, and take Tebow! When McCoy is sitting there pefectly fine. Heck Clausen is still there. What a friggen joke. Meanwhile....Mr. Quinn is looking into potential teams for next year. :biglaugh:
1.26) Arizona Cardinals - Jerry Hughes OLB Texas Christian Univ
Arizona needs to fill holes on its defense. The loss at Lb is bad, and no ILB is worth taking here now that McClain is gone. Taking Hughes will give them some much needed youth at LB, and get them some outstanding pass rushing capability as well.
Arizona gets rewarded for their patience and other teams mistakes and gets a great DT for there revamped defense. I blew this pick, but Arizona did not. :sob:
1.27) Dallas Cowboys - Taylor Mays S USC
Dallas has issues at Safety, and this guy has the speed and tenacity to get what they need done. I would go OT, but the early rush has squeezed that value. This is a heck of a guy, and I would be happy if Philly had taken him.
Ne traded down here, and got a Cb they desperately needed. But taking McCourtney over Wilson has got to be a head scratcher to most. It is to me. :headscratch:
1.28) San Diego Chargers - Jared Odrick DT Penn State
Looks like Spiller may fall to the 2nd round. I know no one believes this, and I don't either..but I don't see him as an every down back, and Chargers already have a change of pace type now. So we hit another dire need which is DT. This guy has shot up the boards lately, and will be a solid fit on the aging DL that San Diego has.
:thrash: got the right player, but not the right team. Miami makes trade down and gets a great player in Odrick for it. Nice job of getting value and picks by Miami!
1.29) New York Jets - Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
Is this Gholston part duex? Maybe, but I love this kids play, and in that defense he will be a solid addition.
Jets take the gift given by other teams and steals one of the top Cbs in this draft. :wow: this team is loaded at DB. Nice for Jets. Bad for NE, Buf, and Miami.
1.30) Minnesota Vikings - Jimmy Clausen Qb Notre Dame
No brainer here folks. They need the Qb of the future, and this late in the first round this is a low risk move. With the O-line they have, the running game they have, and with Favre to mentor him for a year...this is a perfect fit.
I am going to hold off somewhat on this grade. First the pick is wrong in that Detroit traded up for Best. :sob: Not sure why they traded up...unless they thought New Orleans may take him..but they did. But now Minny can take Clausen or McCoy in the 2nd round at much better value. Nice for Minny!
1.31) Indianapolis Colts - Devin McCourty Cb Rutgers
This late you need to take the best talent available. Indy doens't need a rb...so I will take a flyer on a young Cb to help the depth with losses in Fa this year.
:thumbsdow: Blew this pick. Colts get the much needed rush end they need for depth with Hughes, who I had going higher. Good for colts!
1.32) New Orleans Saints - Sean Lee LB Penn State
With losses of LB in Fa, this is a must move. Safety could be an issue as well, but Sharper may come back...and LB is more dire to me.
Well color me shocked. They go Db, but not safety and not LB. They get Robinson from Florida State who shoudl be great for them. My guess is they address the S issue by moving Porter or Jenkins from Cb. :headscratch:

Net, not bad but not good either. Hit some on right, hit positions in other. The trades always mess up some things. Still, at least I am not a Denver fan :biglaugh: