Patriots WR's

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Chad Johnson (refuse to call him Ochocinco) restructured his deal today, so at last count that gives the Pats 5 former starting options to fill 3 spots when Gronk and Hernandez are on the field.
The early pecking order that makes the most sense is:
1. Welker
2. Brandon Lloyd
3. Deion Branch
4. Anthony Gonzalez
5. Chad JOHNSON

Last season was all about the TE's and Welker, with the wideouts being mostly decoys and afterthoughts. So before you Lloyd owners sprain something doing backflips, what's the over/under on receptions for this crew? Don't forget there's still Woodhead coming out of the backfield in whatever role he fills.
I rarely question New England on personnel matters, but does anyone else pay what equates to your #5 WR option (Chad) 1 million? Especially when he was rarely targetted last season at all, and you brought in 2 FA's?

From a fantasy angle, who besides the big 3 merits early round attention? Conventional wisdom points at Lloyd because of the McDaniels connection, but is he worth WR2 status in standard leages, or merely a decent flex option in PPR's?
Does this move Brady squarely into the #1 QB conversation with Rodgers and Brees, with all this experience to throw to, especially with the primary RB option signing elsewhere?

cctekguy

Staff member
All I really get out of this situation is that perhaps this year it will be the TEs that will be decoying and Brady will be back to slinging again.

From a fantasy stand point, Welker in the early rounds, Lloyd near the middle and the rest are fillers and bye week fodder.

Similar to the Saints with Colston, Moore and then the rest.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay silly question, but wasn't LLoyd the Welker in this OC's offense? So can they both survive?
Will Daniels use the TE's the same as last year? He hasn't in the past.
Oh, and by the by, Welker still has not signed his tender. Will he hold out?

Just food for thought.

JScott

Administrator
All I really get out of this situation is that perhaps this year it will be the TEs that will be decoying and Brady will be back to slinging again.

"'Things likely to never happen' for 1000 Alex"

:)

Branch's main purpose last season was to run deep sideline patterns trying to keep the safeties honest to free up more room in the middle for Gronk and AH. They didn't bite, and it's telling that Brady would thread the needle trying to get the ball to his TEs who were double if not triple covered in Gronk's case, rather than going at single coverage to Branch. What they get with Lloyd is a true deep threat, not as much for his speed but his ability to go up and get the ball. He'll do what they hoped Branch would do. And I expect Brady to trust him early. I think the pecking order will end up Welker/Gronk as 1/1a, AH as 2 with Lloyd very close behind him. But the difference this year will be if Defenses "take away" the TEs Brady will have no problem going deep outside to Lloyd regularly. It will be the classic case of Lloyd going 3-50 in a few games then 9-150-1 in one then back to 3-50.

JScott

Administrator
Okay silly question, but wasn't LLoyd the Welker in this OC's offense? So can they both survive?

Just food for thought.

I don't think so. I didn't see much film of his STL time but in DEN he was primarily split out wide running deep routes. That's not Welker's gig.

He hasn't had these type of TEs in the past. Just more toys for him to scheme with. Ultimately it's still up to Brady on who he throws to. I don't expect too much of a shift in the pecking order.

Not sure why it's taking so long to sign but I haven't read anything suggesting a hold out.

Remote Controller

Just food for thought.
Lloyd was the deep threat. I can't fathom Welker holding out especially agter the restructure by Brady. Hernanadez and Gronk will be used the same, but Gronk maybe should settle his butt down a bit. The Pats don't like any exposure unless they are illegally filming it! lol! That was for JScott!

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Interestingly though, Amendola was seen by NE also, who is an exact Welker clone. They haven't signed him though, so I took it for a message to Welker, but I may be reading things into this.

JScott

Administrator
Interestingly though, Amendola was seen by NE also, who is an exact Welker clone. They haven't signed him though, so I took it for a message to Welker, but I may be reading things into this.

They gave Edelman an extension last year (I believe) and brought in Gonzo lite, who play the slot. I honestly don't think it's a message at all. It's no secret the Pats like versatility and depth, and like to shuttle interchangeable (at position, not necessarily at production) parts in when they can.

RLLD

From a fantasy stand point, Welker in the early rounds, Lloyd near the middle and the rest are fillers and bye week fodder.

Similar to the Saints with Colston, Moore and then the rest.

But why take Brady out of his game, the underneath dink and dunk passes are what work best for him and the team. No sense in trying to do something you really can't. Forcing things would only diminish the overall effectiveness of the team, and more importantly, hurt my Patriot players in dynasty leagues....