NYG Steve Smith an Eagle

Remote Controller

Eagles | Steve Smith signs Wed Aug 10, 07:05 PM The Philadelphia Eagles announced Wednesday, Aug. 10, that they have signed free-agent WR Steve E. Smith (Giants) to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal weren't disclosed.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
HUH? :hmm: I just read today that during the Giants visit they said he was a long way away from playing. This makes no sense to me.....

Philly signs him for a 1 year small payday hoping he is ready for late season and playoffs? Giants don't feel he's worth the risk for a long term contract?

I was very surprised to hear this news.

Osiris

Fantasy Football Pharaoh
I'm confused...the Eagles are just out of control. Now they're just signing players just for the f*ck of it.

Dumb move.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
No Jackson is just sitting out the first preseason game because he just reported to camp. No injuries.

This is a good signing by the Eagles. You pay nothing, PUP him for the first 6 games, and if he is ready you bring him along slowly and have him fresh for the stretch. If he isnt ready the money you lost doesnt matter since its a one year deal.

Adjust your draft boards accordingly for Mario Manningham and his increased role in the Giants offense.

Runnik's Hambones

Do not forget the young Victor Cruz. I think Nicks stays where his current value is, Manningham gets a slight increased role, Cruz is a viable WR5 draft pick to see what happens, and they also have a very talented WR in Ramses Barden.

What this may or may not do to Philly's WRs, I haven't the faintest.

Remote Controller

ESPN's Jason Smith was saying that if S.Smith works out it may be the end of DeSean Jackson in Philly.
Kind of an odd statement by Jason Smith. DeSean and Steve Smith are two completely different Wr's. Smith is much more Maclin like. Avant is also in that mold, while Riley Cooper tends to be a streaker.....if I'm not mistaken??

Updating a previous report, Philadelphia Eagles WR Steve E. Smith (knee) might be able to return by mid-October, according to sources familiar with Smith's rehab. The Eagles have a bye in Week 7, which aligns with the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list (six games) rule.
Our view: Smith has a very similar game to Jason Avant, so it's hard to not read something about Jeremy Maclin into this move by the Eagles. Riley Cooper becomes the #5 receiver and Brent Celek should see fewer looks once Smith can play. The Eagles passing game is quickly devolving into something resembling Green Bay or New England, where there could be too many mouths to feed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remote Controller

-- Eagles; Steve Smith Agree to Contract --
Wed Aug 10, 2011 --from FFMastermind.com​
hot.gif
ESPN reports the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to a one-year deal with former New York Giants and free-agent WR Steve Smith. "Like I've said many times before, (general manager) Howie Roseman and I are always keeping our eyes open for good football players and players that we think can help our football team win," Eagles HC Andy Reid said in a statement. "And Steve Smith certainly fits that category. He's a Pro Bowl quality receiver that we will work into our offense as soon as he is ready to go. We feel very good about our current group of receivers and Steve adds another dimension to that position. He's played very well against us in the past few years and we're happy to have him on board." Smith was expected to re-sign with the Giants, but a source said that the holdup over Smith's signing has to do with his health and the fact that the receiver likely will not be ready for the start of the season. Apparently the Eagles harbored no such reservations, nabbing Smith away from NFC East rival New York. Comcast Sportsnet adds an Eagles official said Smith's physical went well and they believe he can be active before the middle of the season. A high-placed team source said Smith signing has "absolutely nothing" to do with WR Jeremy Maclin's (illness) status. An Eagle official said he wouldn't be shocked if Smith plays before end of September.

Remote Controller

More on Steve Smith --
Wed Aug 10, 2011 --from FFMastermind.comESPN's Chris Mortensen reports WR Steve Smith (knee) said he got positive reports from both the Giants and Eagles doctors on his knee. He believes this was about money. Sources on Smith's rehab: Doctors believe a mid-October return is realistic, if he has no setbacks.

Coachnorm

Smith made the Pro Bowl in 2009, when he posted a franchise-record 107 receptions for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns. Last season, he was limited to nine games due to injuries and finished with 48 receptions for 529 yards and three touchdowns so he was very close to that Pro-Bowl pace with 48 receptions in about 1/2 a season.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Considering the Maclin mystery and the DeSean contract dispute this actually makes sense.

It's a one year contract so there's zero risk in signing Smith. The Eagles staff say that he will not even go on the PUP list and could be ready in 4-6 weeks, although they've been wrong about players before.

At first I was surprised, but the more I think about this the more it makes sense.